Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Unity 5 Announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bael, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velo222

Velo222

What version of PhysX is Unity currently using?

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

hmm, true... but what will happen to beast?

3. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Baking GI isn't the same thing as Realtime GI. Baked will always look better if everything is static, and the performance is of course waaaay better for baked GI. Enlighten isn't a reason to replace Beast.

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

As long as I can bake with enighten...

5. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

I believe Beast is a better baker than Enlighten. It's not the main purpose of Enlighten after all. Especially if the update Beast to a more recent implementation. But you might be right, it might be Enlighten all the way in Unity 5. No matter, when we (our company) want very high quality baking we use VRay 3 in Max.

6. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

It's going to be weird to have an engine with state of the art lighting and physics that you have to build on with a decade-old bugged release of Mono.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

There's UE4 for mobile with Enlighten that's been announced, their not going to try and run realtime GI on a mobile :).

So if Unity follows in their footsteps (Which I really really hope they do) as lighting is one of the biggest upgrades needed in Unity, (Bar Mono / Physx and 64-bit editor obviously). Then there's little reason to jump ship to UE4.

I wonder what happens to upgrades on subscription plans?

All I can say is I'm really excited :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  8. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

My gawwwd, that is ridiculous and entirely awesome! I've never touched the mobile market segment so I wouldn't know. But I'm really excited about this, I may be able to port a lesser quality version to mobile..

Schwing!.

There won't be any more "Unity can't produce good graphics threads".. I hope this isn't a hoax or I'll be out for blood! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  10. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

I never thought I'd see the day that the physics implementation got an update.

Especially before Mono.

12. VIC20

VIC20

Oh wow, then all this stuff is really true and the news were no hoax.

Why do you want to get rid of UnityScript??
    That would be a very bad move, a lot of people love it. (me included, I would stop upgrading then and cancel my pro subscription because unity would become useless for me - I'm used to it since 6 years and don't want to use C# at all)

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I use UnityScript for all my scripting stuff outside of Playmaker/uScript. Boo I can totally understand though. I don't know a single person who uses Boo at all.

14. nipoco

nipoco

Enlighten, Physical based shading, a Physx update, 64 bit editor etc.

That all sounds really delicious. Let's see how it turns out.

15. angel_m

angel_m

+1

16. bluescrn

bluescrn

I'm a bit concerned that all these updates and new high-end features might end up making Unity less viable for mobile developers...

The new occlusion culling system introduced in 4.3 is problematic enough (it reduces performance in most cases in our project, whereas the old PVS system gave at least a small performance gain)

(While the highest-end mobile devices can do some quite impressive stuff, most real-world mobile developers will still have to support the iPhone 4, or at the very least, the 4S, for quite a while longer yet...)

I'd rather see performance improvements and tools improvements than big new features.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  17. Nasarius

Nasarius

Retaining support for UnityScript when upgrading Mono should be fairly trivial. I doubt there have been any compatibility-breaking changes to the CIL spec, so they'd just plug in the old UnityScript -> CIL code compiler into the new Mono runtime. It's a system that's designed to be modular and support any number of languages.

You don't really lose anything by maintaining support for old languages, though C# will remain the obvious choice for any professional programmer.

18. JonathanBolten

JonathanBolten

Some of us are not using Unity to make mobile games and are instead focusing on making cutting-edge PC experiences. Sometimes mobile-guys get thrown a bone... other times we do. A few months ago, I was actually worried that Unity was too mobile focused... if this Unity 5 announcement is true, I think it clearly shows Unity is focused on supporting both mobile and high end. Everyone wins... eventually? :)

19. Thavron

Thavron

I expected the release of Unity 4.5 with (I hope) the new GUI system for this GDC, but not the announcement of Unity 5. I guess we get both?

The new GUI is at least on today's session description (http://www.gdconf.com/conference/devdays.html):
    The DevDay's description matches also the leaked Unity 5 features.
    We'll see…

I don't know if stripping a language makes sense for Unity. It shouldn't make it a lot easier for Unity to develop new releases, support it, etc. But for Unity's customers it'll make a big impact if their language is removed.
    So I doubt Unity will remove UnityScript.

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

I remember the last time we got a tour of the Unity GUI.

At Unite 2013.

I don't take GUI tours as any indication of us actually getting the GUI at this point.

21. LaneFox

LaneFox

Haha, I hope he had two popped collars simultaneously when saying that.

Good stuff.

Certainly an upgrade worth a reconsideration of pricing!
    • 64-bit
    • ARM Geomerics "Enlighten" light system
    • Overhauled Audio Engine
    • PhysX 3.3
    • Physically based shader overhaul
    • "PowerVR" Ray tracing
    • Lightmap previews realtime
    • Better asset bundling
    • Unity Cloud ad-sharing network
    • WebGL
    • Probably available by June

22. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Not that I want to be the party pooper but - remember: Until announced officially all of this is speculation.

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's pretty clear that all this is from an interview that was released before the announcement was made when it wasn't supposed to be.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well it would be a pretty poor show for someone to release an interview with the CEO of Unity, then make it all up. :D

25. Thavron

Thavron

Yep, sad but true… http://isthenewguioutyet.com

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

Back in my day, we were told the GUI was coming in the 3.x cycle.

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

And in the future, we'll quote this post and replace it with a 5.x.

28. VIC20

VIC20

And no dementi from Unity at all after all these hours… they know that it was leaked so if it would be not true then they would clearly say it is a hoax because this could affect sales of Unity 4.

29. Thavron

Thavron

I'm still remembering that…

… but it was promised for 4.x, and because 5.0 is around the corner…

Well, until then there are some alternatives (DFGUI, NGUI, etc.) in the AssetStore.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

I find it promising, these features could be a game changer for us. Looks like we'll have to wait for the GDC announcement, when does it start 3:30 or something?

31. eskovas

eskovas

Everything sounds so good. That quote is also very powerful, to say the lighting engine is the most complex in the business, let's wait and see how it is.

Anyone know if there will be any streams? or maybe some videos will be posted after gdc?

32. Lui14

Lui14

What about webplayer in Google Chrome? Does it work regullary as now?

33. VIC20

VIC20

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/powervr_raytracing.asp

And it shows a screenshot of Unity

34. Zeblote

Zeblote

What's helgason?

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

David Helgason is the CEO. Wears popped collar's everywhere.

37. virror

virror

Some really nice stuff in there, time to start saving for an upgrade : D

38. Moonjump

Moonjump

Anyone using UnityScript is using Boo. UnityScript was built in Boo, so is dependent on it being there.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since the broken GUI promise I only trust this route: you only get the features that exist in the main release. Nothing else. I can only be suprised positively now ;)

As nothing is mentioned about the GUI for 5.0 it either means we'll get the GUI in 4.5 or it's delayed to "when it's done". The GUI really seems to be a tough one...

40. Briksins

Briksins

I'm wondering would be there any Network update in Unity 5?
    For example uLink did great job, however their licensing politic switched to slightly bad way, would be an amazing if Unity improve own Networking in next version.
    Also GUI, cant wait for new GUI....

41. virror

virror

Probably not any new networking since everyone has vastly different needs there.

42. kenlem

kenlem

I'm sticking to 3rd party GUI tools until the new GUI is released and proven to actually work. Otherwise, I have work to do.

43. Zeblote

Zeblote

oh

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am still buzzing over this "announcement". I hope they make it official soon... I wonder with Enlighten, how will other middlewares like Skyshop and Alloy affect the way the games are made... Just the thought of using PhysX 3.3 and Enlighten FINALLY makes this upgrade worth it

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sooo true, as I say the official announcement (I've heard in rumourville) is 3:30 PST.

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I'll be at work, unable to call them

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

50. VIC20

VIC20

Somehow funny and somehow shocking :-D

I remember times when UT (OTEE) they were only 8 people or less it was impossible to use Unity without knowing the name David Helgason in these days. First thing I bought from UT was GooBall, which I think was the game that started the whole Unity thing. I also bet a lot of people don't know that Unity is originally for Mac OS X only.

funny old stuff:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/707-About-GooBall

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/gooball/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/6669/OTEE_Releases_Unity_Game_Engine_111_Upgrade.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.