Search Unity

Unity 5.6 Native Cardboard view wrong and no GvrReticlePointer on IOS

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mattSydney, May 3, 2017.

1. mattSydney

mattSydney

When using native VR in unity and GVRDemo from the SDK (Google VR SDK for Unity v1.40) the view on google cardboard is incorrect, (the right eye is way off) and there is no overlay of GvrReticlePointer.

This worked perfectly in 5.5. Any help would be appreciated!

Screen shot from iPhone 6

IMG_0913.PNG

2. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

3. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Do you have the GvrReticlePointer as child of the Main Camera?
    Also Requires GvrPointerManager + GvrPointerInputModule + Event System to work
    I've got it working on my iPhone 6s would be weird if it were an iPhone 6 issue only

Google VR SDK is a pain to work with but if you spend enough time, you can get it to work...

4. mattSydney

mattSydney

Hi I just ran it from the GVRDemo scene provided in the google docs. Are you running Native GVR intergration (Unity 5.6?)

5. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Yes I do use Native GVR integration with Unity 5.6.0p3
    It's because GVR 1.40 doesn't even run without native integration (Virtual Reality Supported)

6. justdizzy

justdizzy

Same issues here. I started a fresh 5.6 project, imported a scene from another project, imported GVR 1.4.0, and a few other packages. When running the app in editor, the stereo cameras in Game view had wrong FOV (were zoomed out more than I wanted), but generally looked right. When I exported to device it looked quite different; The FOV was much closer to what I was expecting, but the 2 cameras were not aligning. I noticed the reticule was visible in the left but not in the right view, and what the reticule was pointing (in left) at wasn't even on the right side, like the cameras were cross-eyed.

At one point I had started a fresh 5.6 project and not installed GVR, but just checked the VR supported in Player Settings, and in editor the scene played with just the one camera, but on device it used 2, so I think the editor support is in GVR and what you see in one is not what you see in the other.

I am attempting to roll my project back to 5.5.3 to see if it works better.

[UPDATE]

I rolled back to 5.5.1 (hadn't installed 5.5.3 yet) and now that it is strictly using GVR and not the Unity included functionality, it works like a charm, which makes me a little sad.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Seems like I broke it now as well and can't get it right anymore either.

Using 5.6.0p4 right now, might be I used p2 back then... but that shouldn't be a problem as it is GVR that is the problem. The only thing I can think of is that VRSettings has changed behaviour in patch releases.

Just struggling to support GVR for iOS, it is unbelievable how buggy this has been since the start of 5.6. It has been nothing else than trouble and reading the forums just confirms that. too many developers struggling with Google VR for iOS.

8. mattSydney

mattSydney

Do you mind me asking what version of Unity and GVR worked on iOS? I have a deadline of May and I dont think it will be fixed by then

9. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I have tried 5.6.0f3 and all patch releases
    Since there were a load of fixes in every patch of 5.6

So you might have to go off all of them if you want to try.

you are on a tighter deadline than us. Quite frustrating I know but it is because Google and Unity that don't have their stuff tested and ready for native Google VR iOS...
    i'm sure they're trying their best but this SDK has been nothing more than a pain to use in our case

And to be honest with ya I don't think it'll be fixed till june or july

10. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

I'm having the same problem building with 5.6.0f3 and running on an iPhone7.

11. andresrivero

andresrivero

Same problem here, with the 2017 beta and 5.6+. iPhone 6 (regular) and 7 Plus

Here's my setup: install Unity, import GVRUnity package, GVRiOSNative package and GVRBackwards package, set build settings and run.

Doubled checked 5.5.1 with the GVR SDK from github, works fine.
    Checked 5.5.3 with the GVR SDK, works fine as well.

Something to do with the native integration? Cocoapods? Seems to me like they are applying some projections or config twice, since it works but its just not quite right.

12. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

13. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

I was able to get 5.6.0f3 working correctly on iOS by importing Google's VR SDK into the project. I made no other changes than importing the SDK, and now it just works. On import I was notified that some files of the plugin would be removed, but even with that the issue is fixed. I'm not sure how good of a solution this is, but its better than what we have now.

Downloaded the GVR SDK here:
    https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/download

Fabien-LG likes this.
  14. andresrivero

andresrivero

The question is if you were able to build and view it correctly on an iPhone?

Edit: I checked and concur, 5.6.0f3 works as intended. Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason the newest version has a problem with WWW

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    ddebroeck likes this.
  15. JordanMajd

JordanMajd

Anybody find a work around?

I'm adding IOS support to a 5.6 project and am facing the same issue on all my test devices.

16. Fabien-LG

Fabien-LG

This solution worked for me too

17. rmuk

rmuk

To those who said that worked (it's not working for me) did you enable the "Virtual reality supported checkbox as well? I only ask because of the "I made no other changes" bit. If i truly import it making no changes, it only showed a static camera, and as soon as i enabled VR mode, i got the misaligned view.

18. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...cardboard-mode-on-iphone-5-slash-ipod-6th-gen

It should be fixed in 2017.1 (probably b8, which still has to be released or 5.6.1p2 update maybe)

current setup that should kind of work:
    Use Unity 5.6.0f3 (not the patch versions nor 5.6.1 as they have these issues, it's being fixed by Unity)
    Use VR Supported (cardboard as SDK)
    import GVR 1.50
    build project
    update pods via cocoapods
    build app
    test

19. rmuk

rmuk

Yeah sadly i tried all of that, but it didn't work. I was using 5.6.0f3 downloaded from the unity archives page and the latest GVR SDK with updated pods (it grabbed 1.6). The camera was still off alignment. I may give it another fresh try tomorrow.

20. Oclipse

Oclipse

Mine was all busted until I think I realized the GVRSDK is included in the latest Unity build if you add in the GVRSDK too it breaks the builds in IOS. I figured this out about a month ago so I might be wrong but pretty certain that was causing my GVR issues generally. Start fresh and test again. Jami Becker nektr.io

21. kengeary

kengeary

I thought it was just me. Still confused. If GVRSDK is included (and yes, cardboard is listed if you switch player to iOS), then where are the Unity assets for controls in VR like raycast "laser" pointer/etc. I did not see any such packages listed. I used the Google Vr package v1.7, opened demo scene, swicthed to IOS player, enabled VR, published to iPhone. Running the demo app on iPhone runs for 1 sec or so then stops. Any ideas? I also saw no further info in the unity 2017 docs. Youtube tutorials seem to focus on Android with Cardboard.

22. zbalai

zbalai

My app don't work for now on Android because of this strange diverging eyes problem.
    Maybe it has to do with an Android System update too?

I am again forced to waste hours on peculiar update issues instead of creating something new. Unity Co, please fix this.

Device: Samsung S7
    Android Version: 7.0 patch 1 May 2017

UPDATE ***************************************************************************************
    The cause was the different resolution settings on the Samsung S7. With a lower than maximal setting the Unity GVR couldn't handle it. Now I switched to the maximal resolution and it runs fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  23. panosdrak

panosdrak

I am an indie developer and i am sad to say that GVRSDK for iOS is such a pain to work with.. i have the same and other similar problems during development

I know complaining isn't the best thing to do and there are many issues, but i truly believe VR sdk developers need to make lots improvements in compability/functionality aspects of their sdks/plugins whatever.

For example: You start working on a project, a new sdk version comes out, and all of a sudden all your experience is useless and you have to study and read documentations of how the new versions work, what needs to be changed and so on... This is so counter-productive and exhausting.