Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.6.2xf1 Blender intergration

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,
    I'm working on a few things that require blender integration for animations. However all I get is...

Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
    You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.

Blender 2.93.0 is installed but Unity doesn't seem to know how to find it despite it being in my path and .blend files are associated with it just fine. I can also navigate to the file system folders with the .blend files Unity says it can't convert and open then in blender just fine. Unity console is pretty useless. Can't launch with debug and it never says what path it's trying to call Blender from or what parameters it's trying to pass to see if perhaps I could write a wrapper for defunct /depreciated command line options.

Grabbed the super old 2.58 blender build to see if it would work and if I could sniff out command it was being called with. I got things working in so far as Unity will open things now with the current blender build but Unity still fails to actually load the models/animations in game. (Part of the issue was blender running on a separate GPU kept Unity from using it.)Some things work, like you can see the animations are playing via camera shake and such but outside that there is no model...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My guess would be that the version of Blender you are using is too new for the 4 year old version of Unity you are using. Blender 2.78 was the latest/greatest version when Unity 5.6.2 came out. So I'd give that a try instead.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is why I wanted to know what the command line might be. I figured Unity was calling blender to convert each .blend file to fbx through a batched command line parameter that had been changed, remove/depreciated in the newer builds. If so I could wrap things (in theory). Part of the issue is Unity never really says anything about what it's actually doing. With the 2.58 build the Unity console is no longer flooded with the can't convert to fbx errors but it still won't actually load them.

I don't see any changes in the command options between the old and new builds so if there is a command line arg being passed to convert .blend to .fbx with specific parameters and where to put them it is all rather hidden for now. I could try to trace dump everything from Unity but this is getting a tad stupid. I'm guessing this is a lost cause for now. There is a rumor things will be ported to a current version of Unity but I won't hold my breath...disappointing but so it goes.

As a side note going back to 2.5 or 2.7 I get floods of Unity errors about the Unity GUI..."Very Nice"...sigh. With the 2.7 - after reimporting everything it's actually loading things...so partial win I suppose...still frustrating how vague Unity is.

As I make moderate progress to figuring this out another thing that seems to plague debugging in the situation is the fact Unity does not update correctly. I'm constantly having to restart, reimport, refresh or flat out delete and redo things just to see if something worked, updated, changed.

***Finally found a "stable" build of 5.6.2 so we will see if the nightmare of random problems persists!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2021