Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.5 new API additions?

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by goat, Sep 7, 2016.

1. goat

goat

I am using an asset from the asset store and it uses this open source library available at GitHub:

using ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.GZip;

It only uses that library with this line in it's code:

Stream gs = new GZipInputStream(fs);

so basically my question does the Unity 5.5.0 have an suitable replacement for that functionality in it's own API?

Thanks.

2. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Why would you use a third party library for a standard .NET functionality?
    Is there something wrong with System.IO.Compression.GZipStream?

This has not much to do with "Unity API" (or the 5.5 beta for that matter)

3. goat

goat

The Unity 5.5 API could well have compression functionality and so that I asked about.

As you say though it doesn't have that functionality but yes or no to that question I asked is still relevant.

The .Net and what Mono contributes to Unity 5.5 is part of the contribution to the Unity 5.5 available to use as well and that is changing as well.

As to why I have this problem, much like me lack of control over Unity, the 3rd party library was compiled into a .DLL file a couple of years ago in a asset I bought from the Unity Asset Store so naturally when Unity 5.5 complained about the 3rd party library in my original post the source library that the .DLL uses is the library I choose to fix that error.

Since the time that product was made for Unity, I believe in Unity 3.2 or 3.5, Unity has undergone quite a few upgrades and that was the question I had for the experts.

So as you say, in the subset of .Net 2.0 that Unity 5.5 makes available I should have

System.IO.Compression.GZipStream

available to link into my Android APK and run it without the fuss of that 3rd party library.

Thanks, that is the question I asked. I will try it today.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. JJJohan

JJJohan

I was under the impression that prior to 5.5 the GZipStream from the System.IO.Compression library was unavailable due to the recurring MonoPosixHelper error that occurs at runtime.