Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.4 beta and Native Oculus Integration

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Welby2, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Welby2

Welby2

Hi!

I'm working on a game that will be available both on the Vive and Oculus Rift.. and on monitors as well.

It's kinda tricky and time consuming to get our game working on 3 different devices with VR external plugins so i was wondering if there already is an estimated time window when the native Oculus (1.3) will be implemented in Unity 5.4 beta.

I have seen that Unity 5.4 already have the native OpenVR which is great,but until it will have also the native Oculus integration i'll never be able to use the native integration at all.

So,there is an estimated date? Even a small clue could be helpful in my situation!

Thanks

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I am using oculus 1.3 on the 5.4 beta 11. Just replace the oculus dll in the unity installation. you get it (OVRPlugin for Unity 5) from oculus website.

works good

3. Welby2

Welby2

Yes but it works as the native integration? I mean.. you just check the "Virtual Reality supported" and automatically switch a standard camera to an "Oculus Camera" if the user has the Oculus Rift turned on?

4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. It upgrades the native integration by changing the used plugin from 0.8 to 1.3.

C:\Program Files\Unity 5.4.0b11\Editor\Data\VR\Unity\Win64\OVRPlugin.dll <-- replace this.

When you start the standalone build or the editor the new oculus application will also start in the background. And take over when it shows the new health & safety warning.

5. Welby2

Welby2

Thanks a lot for the info.. this is exactly what i was hoping for!

I'm gonna download the latest beta as fast as i can :)