Search Unity

Unity 5.4.0f3 - Performance Problem on mutliple Cams on HTC Vive (OpenVR)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by D3ck3R, Aug 9, 2016.

1. D3ck3R

D3ck3R

Hey,

I encountered the following problem with the 5.4.0f3 Release of Unity:

I have 2 Cams rendering different Layers each and recognized that as soon as I start the Game in VR the rendertime is doubled. I usually get 170-190 FPS in None-VR Mode, if I start the Game with the Vive I get 49 FPS and the CPU Time doubles from ca. 6-10 ms to 20 ms.

I allready disabled the "allow reprojection" - Setting on the Vive.

Till I updated to 5.4.0f3 from 5.3.4p1 I was only developing with the Oculus DK2 and everything was fine. I was getting up to 85 FPS in VR and hoping that with features like Single Pass etc. in 5.4 I would recognize a massive performanceboost as the project had a CPU-Bottleneck.

For me it seems as the Unity-OpenVR Interface is dealing wrong with multiple layered Cams.

Am I doing something wrong or is that a known issue?

P.S. I got a 970 GTX is that suitable for Single-Pass-Stereo?

2. D3ck3R

D3ck3R

Just wanted to update this as I discovered today that it not seems to be a problem with layered cams, but with some shaders that perform very bad in VR especially glass-shaders.

Edit: It seems that Refraction-Shaders are very expensive on the performance-side in Open VR

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Beloudest likes this.
  3. Beloudest

Beloudest

Yeah, always test effects carefully. I've learnt the hard way. Lot's of stuff breaks on single pass too which is a shame. One day I'll learn to mod shaders for it.