Search Unity

Unity 5.4.0f3-HTP download Assistant PROBLEM

Discussion in 'VR' started by yolosenpaii, Nov 7, 2016.

1. yolosenpaii

yolosenpaii

TLDR: 5.4.0f3-HTP download Assistant can't download Windows Store .NET Scripting backend. FILE CORRUPTION, Manual downloading .NET scripting backed receive 404 error

Hi developers, so I was trying to follow the tutorial provided by the hololens academy, and I encounter a few problems. I would like to explain and walk through my experience.

So I downloaded all required files as documented (hololens SDK, emulator etc.), and when I download the HTP (hololens technical preview), I am successful at downloading the unity.exe but the file for .NET scipting is corrupted. So I ignored the error, thinking i can just manually download the window store module later.

While I was working on Hello World, I was instructed to go to the build setting and export it through Window Store, which I fail at doing so due to the corrupted files. There was a button for "downloading the window module" which ends up a 404 error page.

***the following are just my problem solving afterwards**
    So I try to download 5.4.X version of unity trying to solve my problem without using the HTP, which you guess it, it does not support window holographic. I am fustrated and I do not know what to do now.

Addition info. seems like I am not the only person with the same problem:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-4-0f1-hololens-not-listed-under-vr-sdks.415984/

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

I believe the files have been restored on the website for the Hololens Technical Preview build.

Also, the 5.5 Beta's now support Hololens Development and have all the latest features and fixes for HoloLens.

3. GlitchVR

GlitchVR

It STILL is corrupted as of today. 10th of November.

4. GlitchVR

GlitchVR

Sorry to post twice but Unity get your act together.

Not only is there STILL a corruption in your latest HTP beta build making it unusable. But selecting Windows Store module in Build Settings and trying to click through to download the module takes you to a 404 page. This error was highlighted to you guys back in MARCH. What the hell??

5. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

The HTP preview build is an older build that has not been updated, if you would like to have the latest and greatest Hololens features and fixes I would recommend updating to the 5.5 beta's.

The HTP is a preview build only for the hololens and the module for windows store needed to be installed through the installer due to the nature of the project not being included in the mainline of the product.

Can you provide information on the corruption? A screen shot of the error message or the message itself would be very helpful to narrow down the issue.

6. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Latest two betas have pretty bad known issues.

• VR: Holographic Emulation dlls fail to load; resulting in inability to perform Remoting or Simulation.

7. rschu

rschu

Very annoying indeed that the last stable Unity for HoloLens setup is so broken. Basically no one can setup a new machine with the tooling right now.
    Unity 5.5 is nice but not stable enough with the current beta and the HoloToolKit is also not updated to work with 5.5 yet.

Here is a workaround

1. In the installer instead of choosing that it downloads to a temporary location, specify a download folder.
    2. Once the installer is at the point where it fails to validate the "corrupted" setup file and asks to Retry, Ignore or Abort, leave it as it.
    3. Open File Explorer and navigate to the download folder you specified.
    4. Run the UnitySetup-Metro-Support-for-Editor-5.4.0f3-HTP.exe manually from there.
    5. Happy HoloLens building! :)

Worked for me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Kos1mo, AdrianJF and Hodgson_SDAS like this.