Search Unity

Unity 5.4.0f1 HoloLens not listed under VR SDKs

Discussion in 'VR' started by Munkey, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Munkey

Munkey

I just installed Unity 5.4.0f1 and attempted to do the Holograms 100 Tutorial: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_100

When I get to the part about changing the Player Settings and checking the box for VR supported it says to "confirm "Windows Holographic" is listed as a supported device."

However Windows Holographic is not listed under Virtual Reality SDKs, when I click the + symbol the only options I get are Stero Display (multi-monitor) and None.

Is HoloLens supported in this version or do I still have to use the older beta version of 5.4?

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

HoloLens is only supported in the HoloLens Technical Preview builds, there is plans to move it to the main line builds.

Thank you,
    Wesley

3. Munkey

Munkey

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

That is interesting, thank you for pointing that out. Could you please file a bug report? I will check to see if I can find that.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

6. Munkey

Munkey

I got it from the File>Build Settings dialog.
    Once the dialog is open, select the Windows Store Platform.
    If you don't have the module installed it just says:
    "No Windows Store Module Loaded"
    Button: "Open Download Page"

Clicking the button opens the link that I provided that results in a 404.

7. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

8. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Also, on the build page were you download the HTP build step 2 is downloading the UWP Run time which has the metro support you need.

9. anandx

anandx

Note, I installed the Unity HTP and had the same issue. Turned out its cause I was using Windows 10 Home. Upgraded to Windows 10 Education and "Windows Holographic" prepopulated in the list

BrandonFogerty likes this.
  10. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

11. SandyRocksUnity123

SandyRocksUnity123

Hey I could not find where to download UWP run-time. Can you please give me download link. I am also facing the same issue.

12. shouchard

shouchard

Unity Technologies

13. robten10

robten10

I'm somewhat confused. Do I need these components to do ANY Hololens Development or just to use the emulator:
    • 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education (The Home edition does not support Hyper-V or the HoloLens emulator)
    • 64-bit CPU
    • CPU with 4 cores (or multiple CPU's with a total of 4 cores)
    • 8 GB of RAM or more

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Windows 10 Pro is needed only for the emulator.

15. robten10

robten10

Hi,

I'm trying my first project using this tutorial:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_100

Well, I seem to have finally installed everything just fine (?) for the Windows "Hologram 100" tutorial , but I am unable to see "Windows Holographic" listed as a supported device. Any ideas?

Also, under the instructions for this project, it says this, but not seeing a "dropdown" and not seeing Fastest turning green:
    Select the dropdown under the Windows Store logo and select Fastest. You'll know the setting is applied correctly when the box in the Windows Store column and Fastest row is green.

I feel like I'm taking baby-steps - but eventually will get there.

Thanks!

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Which Unity version did you install?

17. robten10

robten10

Version 5.4.2f1 personal.

Next problem is when I try to build receive message, "Platform assembly not found. Make sure Visual Studio 2015 is installed", but this has been installed with the latest update from Oct 2016.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

18. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

In 5.4 you would need to use the Hololens technical preview builds in order to see windows holographic SDK. When installing the build you will need to install the windows .NET module to get the needed pieces.

5.4.0f3-HTP build:
    https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens

Another options is to install the latest 5.5 beta build for hololens development.

19. robten10

robten10

Hi,

I installed the 5.5 Beta build and got a little further. Now I am able to see Windows Holographic in "Player Settings" as a device which is some progress but unfortunately when I build, I am getting the following message:
    DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Platforms\UAP\10.0.10240.0\Platform.xml".
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:292)
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

20. robten10

robten10

It looks like this "platform.xml" file is missing: \Platforms\UAP\10.0.10240.0\Platform.xml",
    since there is no "platforms" directory off of this directory :C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10.

Also, why are these components installed in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory rather tan under the install under the C:\Program Files directory?

Thanks.

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

When you installed VS2015, did you check the Windows 10 SDK checkboxes?

22. colinday

colinday

23. robten10

robten10

yes, definitely!

24. robten10

robten10

I've been struggling with this for awhile now, so happy to impart where I am now. The only thing that seemed to work the best was to install the current Beta version 5.5.xx. This gave me the "store" build options, as well as Windows Holographic in "Player Settings". I'm still stuck, as my last message shows. Will let you know how I progress from there. I added just a simple 3d cube to test if I am building correctly so I wouldn't need to repeat a bunch of steps leading up to building. Currently stuck on that "path" message shown above.

25. robten10

robten10

Any other ideas concerning this would be appreciated. I don't know who else to ask except Unity. I really need to get this working.
    Thanks.

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'd suggest reinstalling VS.

27. robten10

robten10

I have installed VS 3 times already. Looking at the error in the build process, it seems like the path not found is a part of the Unity software installation in X86 for some reason, , so that is why I thought it may be a Unity installation problem. I will install VS again as you suggested.
    Thanks.

28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This is the path of Windows 10 SDK - not anything Unity related:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Platforms\UAP\10.0.10240.0\

Did you by chance try to install it into a non-standard location? We pull this info from the windows registry, but perhaps it was pointing to the wrong folder in your case?

29. robten10

robten10

Re-installed VB Studio and got a bit further. Tried these steps next:
    HoloLens over Wi-Fi
    1. Click on the arrow next to the Local Machine button, and change the deployment target to Remote Machine.
    2. Enter the IP address of your HoloLens device and change Authentication Mode to Universal (Unencrypted Protocol).
    3. Select Debug > Start without debugging. If this is the first time deploying to your device, you will need to pair it with Visual Studio.
    At this point I get these messages - just the first few - there are 77 - again, any help would be appreciated....

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS0234 The type or namespace name 'Runtime' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?) new102616two C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETCore,Version=v5.0.AssemblyAttributes.cs 4 Active
    Error CS0518 Predefined type 'System.String' is not defined or imported new102616two C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETCore,Version=v5.0.AssemblyAttributes.cs 4 Active
    Error CS0246 The type or namespace name 'FrameworkDisplayName' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) new102616two C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETCore,Version=v5.0.AssemblyAttributes.cs 4 Active
    Error CS0518 Predefined type 'System.String' is not defined or imported new102616two C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\.NETCore,Version=v5.0.AssemblyAttributes.cs 4 Active
    Error CS0518 Predefined type 'System.Object' is not defined or imported new102616two C:\Users\Benny\unity\HoloAcad\Holos\new102616two\app4a\new102616two\App.cs 11 Active

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Those are intellisense errors - they should go away once you build the project. Check the Output tab instead - that will contain the real errors if any are present.

31. Camuvingian

Camuvingian

I am having exactly the same problem; Windows Holographic is not listed under Virtual Reality SDKs. I have installed the Windows 10 UWP runtime, running VS2015 Update 3. Installed the latest beta (version 5.4.0f3) of Unity using the Unity Download Assistant. Can you provide any further advice as to what I can try to get the SDK for Hololens listed?

32. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Did you install the 5.4.0f3-HTP build? In 5.4, only the Hololens technical preview builds have the windows holographic sdk, this is installed with the .Net windows module.

The 5.5 beta's have latest Hololens features and fixes, might be another option. Make sure to install the .NET module with the installer.

33. wyckster

wyckster

Every time I download Unity 5.4.0f3-HTP using the Download assistant it says "Download of 'Unity 5.4.0f3-HTP' is corrupted. Do you want to retry downloading it, ignore this module to skip it, or abort the entire Unity installation?"
    EVERY TIME. (I've retried countless times now) So what do I need to fix to make the download assistant work correctly? Or is there another way to get the technical preview build for hololens?

34. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

The technical preview is an older build, Hololens development is now in the 5.5 betas with the latest fixes and features.

35. Gektorian

Gektorian

I've installed Unity 5.5.2f1 and no Hololens option under Virtual Reality SDKs. can someone help me with this?
    Also I didn't see windows store option under Edit > Project Settings > Quality

36. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@Gektorian you're looking at the standalone player settings. You're supposed to at windows store player settings instead.

Gektorian likes this.
  37. Gektorian

Gektorian

Thank you, yes I was missing windows store package. After Installation I've got missing parts. Thanks again.