Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3 Weird... Blurry... Camera..... Thing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SteveJ, Dec 10, 2015.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Happening in Unity 5.3. I've tried turning off all the camera effects (there's nothing too fancy going on there anyway) but it doesn't help. Any thoughts on this? If I run it in the Editor "un-maximized", and I resize the Game window back and forth the blurry area grows and shrinks. It's weird, man!

2. SteveJ

SteveJ

3. wbwelcomeback

wbwelcomeback

I have the same weirdness going on. Disabling all camera effects will get rid of it though, but as soon as I turn one of them back on it appears again.

4. Dantus

Dantus

Looks like a too small render texture that is clamped with a little vignette on top of it. Definitely worth a bug report.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That's... trippy! Bug report is in order!

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

I love how every time I upgrade Unity something major breaks for me. Like EVERY time. All the lighting is messed up too - like everything is way too bright now and I have to go back and adjust all the range/intensity settings on my lights again.

Anyway, yeah - this blurry thing is quite strange. I'm going to play around with it some more over the weekend. It's definitely not affected by whether or not camera effects are enabled or disabled in my case.

MrEsquire likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

I see the same thing - At some point, it goes nuts, and the bad area creeps over, and then all texturing is gone. However, apparently the zbuffer is still there, because SSAO and shadows are still drawn. Very weird.

I'm assuming you're on a Mac, as this is an artifact of the new OpenGL core. To get past all the new OpenGL Core bugs, you'll have to force unity to run with the old OpenGL. (by running unity from the command line with -force-opengl like this:

/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/unity -force-opengl

I keep posting bugs for different issues in OpenGL core - but I haven't posted one for this issue yet. If your project isn't too big, please submit a bug report and post the case number here so we can follow it.

Thanks!

Dantus likes this.
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've tracked this down. So first of all, it only happens under Forward rendering, not Deferred.

I started playing with the Quality settings though and figured out that I have the problem under "Beautiful" (my default), but it goes away under "Good". So I started turning things off and on, and I've conclusively found that if I turn ON Anti-Aliasing, I do get the problem. If I turn OFF Anti-Aliasing, then I do not get the problem. So... looks to me like Anti-Aliasing is what's causing it.

MrEsquire likes this.
  9. SteveJ

SteveJ

I can't reproduce it though in a simple project, so obviously it's the Anti-Aliasing plus... ??? something else, that's causing it.

10. groovounet

groovounet

Unity Technologies

Hi SteveJ,

Could you submit a bug report including your project? To speed up the process, could you reply with your bug number here?

Thanks!
    Christophe

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm not willing to upload my project and I haven't been able to reproduce it in a test project. If I do manage to, I'll submit a bug report.

MrEsquire likes this.
  12. ArthurT

ArthurT

It's always advised to disable anti-aliasing because it's been broken for what it feels like forever, since it's also known to cause issues with HDR in deferred to say the least, especially causing all sorts of bugs inside the editor. It's best to use a replacement for it, like SMAA instead.

I think the lighting issues are due to how Unity 5.3 handles lighting, especially the custom near plane slider for spot light shadow and shadow bias for point lights additions as described in their upgrade guide.

13. daraOke

daraOke

So half my screen is still blurry... any fix yet? or do I still have to continue forcing the old OpenGL?

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you tried p1 yet? I have t had this reoccur once I installed the first patch.

15. daraOke

daraOke

no, i haven't. umm... whats P1?

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

17. daraOke

daraOke