Search Unity

[Unity 5.3] : [VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by rcyr_cimmi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. rcyr_cimmi

rcyr_cimmi

I just installed Unity 5.3 today december 8th, 2015, and I have tried my VR Windows player using Oculus DK2. Without any modification from my previous Unity 5.2 version, I now face the error "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed" at start time. DK2 indeed not working. I do not use the Oculus Utilities package; just the built-in VR support of Unity.

My configuration (that works OK with Unity 5.2 32 bits) :
    • Windows 7 64 bits;
    • Unity 5.3 32 bits
    • Oculus SDK 0.7.0.0
    Any idea anyone?

2. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Try downloading and installing the most recent oculus runtime (0.8). I think that'll fix it. If not let me know :)

3. komodor

komodor

i have the same problem, just installed the 0.8 and the problem persists

4. komodor

komodor

update, reconnecting HDMI after the installation helped to start the sample scene, however i can't see anything in the rift, it's DK1 is it the problem

5. rcyr_cimmi

rcyr_cimmi

I just migrated from Oculus SDK 0.7.0.0 to 0.8.0.0. I have one big problem though... That later version requires Nvidia graphics driver 358.70. I have a Nvidia Quadro K2000 and the latest driver is 354.42 which is not enough. At this point, I assume that upgrading to Unity 5.3 broke my player for good until I change my graphics card to some recent GeForce one...

6. r0binxp

r0binxp

I have the Same Problem Runtime 0.6.1 and Windows 8.1

7. HarmonyRic

HarmonyRic

I unplugged the Oculus from both USB and HDMI, then re-connected and this resolved it for me. This is with:
    • Oculus Runtime 0.8.0.0
    • NVidia drvier 359.06 on the GTX 970
    • Oculus Utilities v0.1.3.0
    • OVRPlugin v0.1.4.0

8. elbows

elbows

Why are you using such an old runtime?

Oculus have made some big changes as they move towards release of consumer version and 1.0 software, and especially the changes between 0.6 and 0.7 were massive and required changes on the Unity side of things, as well as graphics drivers.

9. IronStomachVR

IronStomachVR

5.3 requires the 8.0 runtime and 8.0 runtime requires up to date drivers. Also I believe anything based of a chipset lower than the 600 series for Nvidia is no longer supported.

10. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

As Dukealicious said, you need to be running the 0.8 runtime from Oculus and you must be using the most up to date Drivers. When you install the 0.8 runtime. It is suggested that you still restart your machine even though it will not prompt you to.

11. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

Any updates on this I am running windows 10 , GeForce GTX 860 Latest Drivers, got the latest java, and android SDK installed, & Oculus runetime 0.8. The Error "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed" persists. When pressing Play for example in, the Web Player Scene example of the OculusUtilities_SDKExamples the video plays but I don't see the double Camera Render. Just osingle camera and I cannot look around or do anything. ANy suggestions are appreciated since there is no much information on this problem.

12. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

Could this be a problem dont see DirectX showing up

Attached Files:

13. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

Guys I followed ll the instructions listed here and I'm still having problems I even tried it in windows 8.1 now testing it on in my desktop with windows 7 cus it use to work on there. But I think there is something messed up in the OVR Utilities. Any new suggestions would be great I have no idea what else to try

14. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

This error only starts showing when using Unity 5.3 I tried it out in windows 7 also version 5.2 was giving me dill errors

15. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

Tired every version of unity and different versions of the Utilities and I cant find what combination works. Can someone sugest specific version that are working for them. I have no idea could be any combination. takes for ever there should be a clear up to date specification I can t start my project unitll this compatibility problem ts fixed

16. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

I tried this and it still doestn work looks like the latest unity and latest OVR utilities don't go together and if I go back in versions the runtime should be version 6 apparently. Between all the versions I cant seem to find the right combination obviously the latest everything is broken. I also elready tried different versions of windows in two different machines one that use to work in earlier versions of the SDK

17. batesasho

batesasho

Same error, but for the Gear Vr.

I am using Unity 5.3.1f1 + Oculus Utilities for Unity 5 V0.1.3.0-beta + GearVR Samsung S6.

Android SDK and Java jdk installed and their root folders properly specified in the unity settings.

No Oculus Runtime for Windows installed

Same log error: [VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed.

The app compiles and runs smooth on the S6.

I tried also with the build-in Virtual Reality Supported checked and without the Oculus Utilities and same error pops up.

Am I missing something?

Appreciated for any info.

18. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@cryptoshaman @batesasho Please try installing the latest patch release version of Unity here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases
    You are looking for version 5.3.1p3. Install the Editor, start a new project, enable virtual reality supported and press play. If you do not see the error here, then try importing the Oculus Utilities, adding them to a NEW scene and running again.

If you get the error at this point, respond back here and let me know. Their was an older issue that on first load with the Utilities, the plugin would fail to load. It may still be present.

19. jfaulken

jfaulken

@Ed I have the same configuration and the same issue. Moved to 5.3.1p3 but nothing will fix it.

Create a new project -> new scene -> import the Oculus Utilities -> add the OVRCameraRig -> hit play, throws the error. Rolling back to 5.2. :(

20. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I see this error message in the console every time I open my project or run any scene. It also appears on screen in development builds. Unity 5.3.1p3.

The thing is, my project has nothing to do with Oculus. I don't even have the hardware - there's nothing to initialize. New projects don't have this error, so there must be something wrong with the project. What could it be?

PS

Fixed. It was "Virtual Reality Supported" checkbox in Project Settings -> Player -> Other Settings.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    bstout, ErnstVanEijk and JuhaFH like this.
  21. skjcul

skjcul

I have the Same Problem Runtime 0.7.0-beta and Windows 8.1 Unity 5.3.1.f1

22. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

23. cryptoshaman

cryptoshaman

I have everything up to date and the error is still showing

HalversonS likes this.
  24. batesasho

batesasho

@Ed unity

I downloaded the newest patch 5.3.2p1 --> new project --> Virtual Reality Supported enabled --> same error pops up: [VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed. I also tried with the oculus utilities and again the error appears.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  25. scottb9239

scottb9239

Any news on this, still getting this error on 5.3.2p2, 0.8 runtime and latest video drivers?

26. STIIMAteam

STIIMAteam

I downloaded the newest patch 5.3.2p3 64 bit --> new project --> Virtual Reality Supported enabled --> Play --> Error [VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed. Any suggestion?

27. rodokal

rodokal

I've tried Unity 5.3.3 and 5.3.2p1 as suggested above and also get the error "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed." in both cases. However I'm able to display the demo scene from the Oculus Configuration Utility, the following information is from it's about box. Any idea what the issue is? Thanks.

Display Driver Version: 1.2.6.0
    Positional Tracker Driver Version: 1.0.10.0
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    HMD Firmware: 2.12
    Connected to OVRService server.

28. sandro

sandro

I have the same issue, and the test scenes the oculus website provides are working perfectly, I can't make it communicate with unity:
    - Display Driver Version: 1.2.8.0
    - Positional Tracker Driver Version: 1.0.14.0
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    - HMD Firmware: 2.10
    - Connected to OVRService server.

29. blogfather

blogfather

I have the same issue, and the test scenes the oculus website provides are working perfectly, I can't make it communicate with unity, also get the error "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed."
    Unity 5.3.4p1 (64)
    Display Driver Version: 1.2.8.0

Positional Tracker Driver Version: 0.0.1.6

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

HMD Firmware: 2.12

Connected to OVRService server.
    {

"Time": "2016-04-04_00:00:20",

"SDK Version": "0.8.0.0",

"Local SDK Version": "0.8.0.0",

"Service Running Time": {

"Hours": 8,

"Minutes": 29,

"Seconds": 58

},

"Display Status": {

"Display Mode": 2,

"Win10 Native": {

"Capable": 1,

"Available": 1,

"ResultCode": 0,

"Status": "DXGI 2 Preview available"

},

"IHVDirect": {

"Capable": 1,

"Available": 1,

"ResultCode": 0,

"Status": "Direct Display available"

},

"Legacy Direct": {

"Capable": 0,

"Available": 0,

"ResultCode": -3005,

"Status": "OVRDirect not supported on this OS. Please use one of the more supported modes"

},

"Summary ResultCode": 0,

"Summary Status": ""

},

"System Specifications": {

"Operating System": "Microsoft Windows 10 Pro",

"Processor": "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz",

"Graphics Adapters": [{

"Name": "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti",

"Video Controller RAM (MB)": 4095,

"Driver Version": "10.18.13.6472",

"Video Mode": "2560 x 1440 x 4294967296 farver"

}],

"Total RAM (GB)": 64,

30. HalversonS

HalversonS

Is anyone finding a fix for this yet?
    I get the same error and also no display in the headset when running a standalone build. However, the demoscene from the oculus config utility works.

Using Unity 5.3.4f1. I've followed Oculus's instructions with Unity Plugin 1.3.0. I installed the 1.3.0 Utilities as well and get no love on the prebuilt unity scenes.

Nvidia's up to date.
    None of my hardware or drivers should be an issue. The demo scene works and Im up to date everywhere else. Seems to be a Unity issue entirely.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  31. bMitchell

bMitchell

Yeah, I just fought with this and fixed it. It worked fine when I installed at work, but then I tried installing at home and got this VrDevice Initialize Failed so I knew it should work but it took some time to figure out why.

First off, Halverson, you need to uninstall 0.8 before installing 1.3. Although I didn't directly install 1.3, I did the Oculus Home install which I assume also does 1.3, but afaik you don't even get the demo scenes, config tool or the old notification tray icon anymore. But really, you want Home, it works great on DK2 and you can now play all sorts of full games.

Next, gotta install the new OVRPlugin:
    https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.3.0/OVRPlugin_for_Unity_5/

Follow those steps, but here's where it messed up for me at home but not work:

For whatever reason, in Program Files/, I have both a 'Unity' and a 'Unity512' directory. Following the steps, I modified the regular Unity folder, but have since noticed that my Unity 5.3.4p1 shortcut goes to the Unity512 folder. So, I wasn't really modifying the correct files! Went in there and reproduced the steps, and bam, no more initilize fail.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  32. HalversonS

HalversonS

Thanks bMitchell! Similar issues where it's working at my work computer but not at home. I do have different versions on different partitions at home, I thought they were all correct but I'm having doubts now. I'll give your suggestions a try!
    Thanks again!

33. HalversonS

HalversonS

Uninstalled Oculus runtime, went to the folder, files were left there still (saw some from back when I installed 8.0 as well). Deleted the folder and reinstalled and now everything works just fine with my DK2. Thanks!

34. Artist3d

Artist3d

I would like to add that when you go to the link above (thankyou) where it says "Extract the OVRPlugin zip and copy all files into the directory" --- > After you delete the VR/Oculus contents --- take note that the zip file you are extracting contains yet another zip file called oculus.zip which in itself should be unzip to a remote folder BEFORE you copy the contents back into VR/Oculus --- my Winzip program would not unzip to my Programs/Unity/Editor/VR/Oculs folder directly --- but I was able to unzip everything in a remote folder and then literally had to copy the files manually to VR/Oculus ---- I am sure it had something to do with administration rights in my case but thought I would pass that subtle distinction on because in my case they literally meant "Extract the OVRPlugin zip THEN copy all..."

35. mayankgpt92

mayankgpt92

fixed:

Uninstall every bit of unity.
    Install unity 5.3.4f from the website.
    Install latest runtime ; 0.8.0.0
    place the SDK in the folder where you have installed unity

Worked like a charm :)

Parallax likes this.
  36. Parallax

Parallax

Which SDK do you put in the folder?

37. Garetha01

Garetha01

and does the SDK folder go in the Unity folder or Unity/Editor?

38. Parallax

Parallax

39. syedzainnn

syedzainnn

Hello!
    I'm having problems connecting my oculus rift DK2 with Unity.
    Every time i run unity, it says "initializing of device Oculus failed"
    I've uninstalled unity and reinstalled 4.3.4 and installed patch 4p5 and now it doesn't give any error now but when i connect oculus rift dk2 to the pc and unity is running, oculus window doesn't open up itself.
    If anyone is working on it can please help for the fix?
    I'm using following:

Windows 10
    Unity 5.3.4
    patch 4p1 and tried 4p3 too
    graphic card: NVIDIA GTx 520
    Oculus Runtime 0.8

40. Mephesto_Khaan

Mephesto_Khaan

Same problem here
    It has always been working fine for me, I upgraded to 5.3.4p5 and was working actually! But suddenly stopped now and it is saying this:

Unity v5.3.4p5, Oculus Utilities v1.3.2, OVRPlugin v1.3.2, SDK v0.0.0.

I got 0.8 installed (and tried to reinstall already)

41. HarmonyRic

HarmonyRic

Same issue here after upgrading to v5.3.4p5 from p1. Ended up reverting back to p1 and everything is working fine again.

42. BurningthumbStudios

BurningthumbStudios

It seems like Gear VR and Occulus VR with Unity could be referred to as "a bag of dirt".

I'm curious to know if anyone has successfully built for Gear VR on a Mac/OS X or would attempting to build for Gear VR on a Mac be a total waste of time?

43. BurningthumbStudios

BurningthumbStudios

Also, I read on another thread that in order to preview for Gear VR on a PC you need to have the DK2 also. Is this still the case. If you don't have the DK2 do you still have to build every time ?

44. crag

crag

@Mephesto_Khaan did you solve your issue? I am dealing with similar...

Unity v5.3.4f1, Oculus Utilities v1.3.2, OVRPlugin v1.3.2, SDK v0.0.0.

Do we need to put the SDK somewhere in particular?

45. syedzainnn

syedzainnn

My issue solved. Patch 4p1 works very smooth with my dk2 now. The problem i had was primarily with usb ports power.

46. astrium-geo

astrium-geo

Upgrade to 5.3.4p6 issue solved.

47. Mephesto_Khaan

Mephesto_Khaan

Still having the same issue with 5.3.4p6 @crag

48. Mossberget

Mossberget

In my case the problem seems to be from that the IT department had changed my user permissions for the Unity Editor directory, this and in combination of running the editor as admin seemed to fix the problem. Maybe not a solution that always works but it might help someone

49. Rawd

Rawd

I had started my project in Unity 4, and moved it to Unity 5, about 3 months ago on my DK2, and got it all updated and working. I just got my CV1, and updated to 5.3.4p1 with the Utilities 1.3.2, and OVR Plugin 1.3.2. The OculusSampleFramework package from Oculus worked just fine.... But I got the same "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed" message mentioned in this thread when I tried to load my own game into the editor. I tried to delete and re-import all of my OVR files, and some plugins that related to Oculus with no luck at all. I spent about 12 hours on this :( I eventually went back to an older Unity 4 version of my game that I had backed up..... Imported it into 5.3.4p1, installed the utilities, messed around with a few errors, and finally got that version working! I have to redo about 40 hours worth of work I did months ago, but at least I have something to work with now. At the end of the day, I still have no idea what file, script, or setting in my project was causing this. What a headache.

50. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

When you get the "[VRDevice] Initialization of device "DeviceName" failed" message it usually means that the plugin being used failed to load properly.
    Reasons for this include:
    * Runtime you have installed is older than the version of the Plugin included Natively with Unity. Update your VR Runtime.
    * VR Plugin you have included in your Project folder is outdated and isn't supported. Remove Plugins in your Project folder.
    * Runtime is newer than the Native Unity Plugin. Download the Plugin from Vender and replace the one from Unity.