Search Unity

Unity 5.3 rotating problem on animated object in Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by onurerler, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Can you please paste the BUG #?
    Most people on this thread are experiencing animation+rotation bug on iOS/Android.

2. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

I experience the same BUG, and it can be fixed by turning off Optimize Game Objects. I've sent a clear BUG report (758125) with a project which 100% reproduces the issue.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Vurbefef

Vurbefef

Yep Had the same problem here, spent hours trying to figure out why it was happening. using 5.3.1 p4 and still not patched. Hope we get it solved soon!

4. BigToe

BigToe

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

I fixed the animation/rotation bug for Android/iOS and pushed that to 5.3.2 Patch 2. Should be available next week.

6. BigToe

BigToe

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

7. JonathanLF

JonathanLF

Hello
    Does that include the firstly mentionned bug that is solved by disabling "Optimize Game Object" (i'm not sure if they have the same origin or not).
    We had that same bug here and couldn't have a working build for days and i'm not pretty happy about the idea of disabling Optimize GameObject because of potential performance cost and the time i will have to spend to fix all my imported skinned meshes.

8. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

OK, the BUG has been fixed in 5.3.2p2

Amazing, the support closes my tickets ASAP saying the issue is not in 5.4; and when the issue is solved they send me an additional e-mail. So it looks like all tickets are closed when in fact the engine is not working. 5.3 is the worst version for an Android developer, two core systems didn't work for 2 months.

9. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@mikhail111777 : can you confirm #758125 is also fixed for you with the patch release?

10. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Yes, it has been fixed.

This is the first release where all subsystems work with Android. There are some subtle problems with particle systems, which can be reproduced during a long gameplay session. But I guess this is another story.

Yury-Habets likes this.
  11. gustmens

gustmens

Thanks ! This helped me :)

12. renuke

renuke

Thanks for this! Nice workaround for us still on 5.3.1f / 5.3.2f

Everything worked fine on an emulator, only had issues on real devices.

Sadly, there's no proper warning in the Editor about this potential issue. I was trying to run my game on an Android device, and my scene was showing up completely empty! Luckily, after troubleshooting a bit, I figured out that the problem had something to do with the Animator and googled my way over to this thread. It turned out that everything in my scene had animated rotations, and were all just flying away...wow, who could've guessed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. JazzParr

JazzParr

THANK YOU! I've been stuck for so long on this.

14. neonwarge04

neonwarge04

I can confirm that the workaround provided here works in Unity 5.3.1p4.

I almost pulled my hair out due to frustration. I hope I found this thread sooner as I was not able to find relevant post around here.

Thanks a lot!

15. rudySumarso

rudySumarso

It's been days figuring out what was going on. I was like crazy, changing everything from scratch.. many many times! You save my life, buddy! XD Thanks a lot!

16. amit-chai

amit-chai

Man, you saved my day (and probably more than a day...), Also my headache is starting to fade... Iv'e been struggling for a some time now, wondering what happened to my disappeared model.. Well, after setting all angles to Euler Angles(Quaternion approximation) the model reappeared. So, Big Thanks on that!!!!

17. Tuzzo77

Tuzzo77

Not working for me. Crazy thing.

18. Roiw

Roiw

Wow! Wasn't expecting that! It really works when changing the rotation thing!

Thanks a lot for your tip man!

Please Unity fix this soon!

19. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Folks, this has been fixed in Unity quite a while ago.
    If you are experiencing rotating issues with latest 5.3 - please raise your hand!

20. Fcaldas

Fcaldas

I have just upgraded to 5.3.4 and it solved my problem. I had no animations with Rotation, so the solution described here did not work for me. Upgrading did.

MrEsquire and Yury-Habets like this.
  21. ChrisLoh

ChrisLoh

The workaround by Restrepo DID resolve the bug, but NOW with Unity 4.50b13 it has emerged again and the work around no longer works. Unity crashes when a camera rotates around an object - irrespective of the interpolation setting (all 3 crash Unity).

----
    Restrepo said: ↑
    there is a way to avoid this issue by right clicking on rotation property in Animation window and in the drop down menu changing interpolation from Euler Angles to Euler Angles(Quaternion approximation).

that should fix it but default Eular is broken

(Case #752955).

MrEsquire likes this.
  22. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

If you're talking of 5.4 beta - then it probably makes sense to move to beta forums. The issue in question should be fixed in latest 5.3.

23. Shizola

Shizola

Sorry to say I just noticed this bug is happening for me on 5.3.4.p4. Work around still works though.

24. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Sounds suspicious. Did you file a bug report?

25. Shizola

Shizola

I just upgraded to 5.3.4p6 and noticed the work around no longer works. So I exported my animation prefab as an asset package to prepare a bug report, but I noticed that in this empty project the animation worked fine.

I compared the the 2 prefabs between projects and noticed that there was a difference in rotation on one of the gameobjects, my problem object had a 0 on a z rotation, but the exported one was 210. Once I made the rotations the same it was back to normal. No idea what has happened there but just thought I'd say unless someone else runs into it.

26. Bertlapp

Bertlapp

Upgrading to Unity version 5.3.5f1 resolved the issue of upside down rotating for rigged prefabs.

27. justdizzy

justdizzy

For me the issue is not disappearing sprites, but inconsistently rotating. I have 2 "arm" sprites in my 2D scene and in the editor and iOS both are swinging (rotating) properly, but on Android, only one moves. If I switch interpolation to "Euler Angles (Quaternion approximation)" then it switches which arm swings (or neither swing), and it also breaks it when running in the editor or iOS.

I just upgraded to 5.3.5f1, and I saw the issue on 5.3.4p6 also. I filed a bug #798839, but no response yet.

28. Egidijus1231

Egidijus1231

Have issue here. Developing VR game for android.
    All animations created in unity, not imported.
    When I run the game all eular rotations is just stucked on (0,0,0) instead of values in keyframes :(
    If I change interpolation from Eular to Quaternion, rotations not stucked, but animations are going crazy and rotate in wrong direction.
    This issue is on versions Unity 5.3.5 and Unity 5.3.4p5.
    Everything works on older Unity 5.3.4f1 when downgrading, but there is old Oculus API, and we need newer version.
    :(

29. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Is this issue fixed in latest patch? I still have it in 2d animation rotations and that is the reason I am still stuck to 5.3.4f1 which works.

30. justdizzy

justdizzy

My 2D rotation issue was fixed with 5.3.5p1.

31. justdizzy

justdizzy

FYI, if you are on a Mac, you can change the name of the Unity Application's folder, then install a patch version so you have both. At the moment I have 4 installs, Unity-5.3.5f1/, Unity-5.3.5p1/, Unity-5.3.5p2/, and Unity-5.3.5p3/.

32. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

wow...

33. justdizzy

justdizzy

I had to test another bug that was claimed to be fixed (it wasn't).

34. Eluem

Eluem

EDIT: I upgraded from 5.3.5f1 to 5.3.5p1 and the issues with the animations seem fine now. I did have a bunch of other strange errors come up.. but they seemingly magically vanished.. which means they'll likely come back to bite me in the future. I can continue developing for now though.

I just updated to Unity 5.3.5f1 from 5.3.4f1 and half of my animated rotations simply stopped rotating. The rest of the animation works fine but some objects simply don't rotate... and it seems entirely random. I'm trying to find a pattern so I can work around it and redo hundreds of hours of work.. but I can't even find a solution for that.

The best part is that I only noticed this today, after updating 2-3 weeks ago. So if I try to roll back I'm going to have to identify and recreate about 2-3 weeks of work so that I can continue working.

This bug needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Can we get an update on the status of this issue and when we can expect a fix?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  35. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Has anyone tried the latest patch? I saw in the 5.4 betas that the issue seems to be fixed. But I havent tested it yet. Still have 5.3.4f1 for this reason.

36. aesparza

aesparza

Changing Rotation Interpolation to Euler Angles (quaternion approximation) works for me too with Unity 5.3.2 Version!
    Thank you for that info!

37. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Seems like 5.4.0RC1 fixed this bug, at least this is what the said. I will try the f1 version.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity 5.4 fixed this bug!!!

39. riverdore

riverdore

Can confirm - Updating to 5.4 automatically fixes this.

As an animator - i can't express how happy I am at the moment.

40. Crispy-Marrow

Crispy-Marrow

Thanks a lot for this " changing interpolation from Euler Angles to Euler Angles(Quaternion approximation).".
    I am glad I wasted only a day before finding this topic, not a week.

aesparza likes this.
  41. Chrisjordan

Chrisjordan

I got this really helpful post about object animation in android. It's pretty simple and useful. Try it and let me know if it works for you!

42. dimabernat

dimabernat

there is an easy fix ere I didn't sow it posted.
    Check the "Apply Root Motsion" in the Animation component.

43. ghostbuster96

ghostbuster96

I was using rotation animation on a camera into which my app lands. When I built it on the phone there'd be a blue screen and nothing else, I wouldn't have known that the camera was being deleted if it wasn't for a canvas element in there. Well the changing the rotation interpolation from eular to eular (quaternion approximation) solved the bug and now the camera works fine, thanks a lot

44. dfjhde

dfjhde

u don't know how happy i am when i finally find this threat

45. zero_null

zero_null

threat ?????

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

*thread
    it's a typo

47. Vitalii_Dudnyk

Vitalii_Dudnyk

I'm experiencing a similar issue, however, it happens on iOS too.
    I'm using Animator with a small state machine, and only on Tablets (on all that our company has, Android and iOS) when some animation clips start the animated object disappears and appears again after the animation finishes. It happens with 3 similar prefabs that use AnimatorOverrideController.
    I can't reproduce the issue on a simulator, it happens only on real devices and only on tablets.

I tried to change Rotation property interpolation but it didn't help, besides one prefab doesn't have rotation animation at all.

Unity version is 2019.4.15

VadimPyrozhok likes this.