Search Unity

Unity 5.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LinMyLin, Oct 27, 2018.

?

Need 5.3.9?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. LinMyLin

LinMyLin

Dear developers Unity! Please release 5.3.9 with support for MacOS High Sierra and MacOS Mojave

Our project with an audience of 8,000 users per day still uses Unity 5.3.8 to create UnityWebPlayer builds and is very upset because of the impossibility of using new systems from Apple.

I think many developers sitting on 5.3.8 will support me. I understand that the team Unity focuses on the support of current versions like 2017/2018

Post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-and-macos-10-13-high-sierra.474527/
    Unity developer answer:
    There will be no Unity 5.4.x fixes for High Sierra, you have to either keep your machines on macOS 10.12 or upgrade your project to Unity 5.5.x and later. In general 5.4.x and older Unity versions might work with High Sierra on HFS+ disk, but it should be considered as last resort workaround if you have to use older Unity versions on new OS.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm confused — why can't you update your project to a newer version of Unity, such as 5.6 at least?

3. LinMyLin

LinMyLin

In version 5.4, the ability to make UnityWebPlayer build has been removed.

4. User340

User340

I would contact them directly. This seems like a highly unique case.

5. Mauri

Mauri

The WebPlayer has been replaced by the WebGL build feature.

(Helpful links: Getting started with WebGL development | Building and running a WebGL project | WebGL Browser Compatibility)

Generally said, you should avoid the WebPlayer and switch to WebGL instead, as major browser vendors dropped support for NPAPI-based plugins long ago. This isn't about Unity not caring about older Unity versions, but them adapting to modern (and more secure) web standards.

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

5.3.9 works fine on High Sierra. Even as far back Unity 3.5 works as well. Just make sure you're not using APFS (which turned out to be a disappointment anyway, no real compelling reasons to use that instead of HFS).

--Eric

JoeStrout likes this.
  7. LinMyLin

LinMyLin

It is about APFS. So in future versions of MacOS it will not be possible to use HFS. Perhaps already in the Mojave can not put HFS. Unity might release 5.3.9 with support APFS.

8. LinMyLin

LinMyLin

WebGL is not suitable for demanding 3D online games, alas

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can use HFS with Mojave. It's a bit tricky to have a boot partition with HFS, but even if you don't want to mess with that, it's trivial to just use a HFS partition with Unity on it.

--Eric