Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3.1f1 unable to attach debugger to iOS player

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Miguel-Ferreira, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Miguel-Ferreira

Miguel-Ferreira

Hi,

I've always had some troubles attaching the MonoDevelop debugger to the iOS player but I used to end up getting it right, but since the newest version of Unity I found it impossible to do so.

I build the project with script debugging on, run through XCode and then finally stop it and open it manually to prevent XCode breakpoints.

With the player running on the device, I try to attach MonoDevelop to device but it always fails. I am sure both the device and the pc are on the same network and I've tried with several different networks but the result is always the same.

Anyone having the same problem? Without being able to properly debug my app on the device I have to resort to logs or other ancient techniques and my iteration times go through the roof.

2. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

MonoDevelop would work only with Mono scripting backend.
    For IL2CPP scripting backend Xcode could be used for debugging, but it requires more low level understanding how .NET byte code gets translated to .cpp code.

3. fundthmcalculus

fundthmcalculus

4. fschneider

fschneider

@Mantas Puida
    What's odd is that debugging a game in editor sometimes works in spite of using IL2CPP...

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It should work just fine "in editor", as editor is running on Mono :)

fundthmcalculus likes this.
  6. TheGeoff

TheGeoff

My understanding is that IL2CPP is the way forward for Unity and the only way to work with 64 bit iOS devices. Will this ever work in IL2CPP? If not it sounds like iOS device debugging is broken for good.

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@TheGeoff

It is possible for IL2CPP to support a debugger. In fact we have an alpha-quality debugger internally, but it is not ready to ship. I think that we will ship this at some point in the future. Now our team is focused on other priorities though (mainly the Mono upgrade).

8. chamdani

chamdani

@JoshPerterson, is there any update regarding IL2CPP to support a debugger? WIFI debugging is a very good option for Unity developers and it appears there is not any alternative around.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We are now actively developing a managed code debugger for IL2CPP. I can't say yet when it will be ready, but this is something we are working on now.

10. TuringSense

TuringSense

Dear Josh, I was wondering if there is any news regarding the development of the code debugger for IL2CPP. In particular it appears that without the usage of mono scripting, WIFI debugging for IOS is not possible via IOS player. This is especially a problem when big projects running for years cannot be compiled for IOS using mono. Also, we know that Unity documentation suggests to keep IL2CPP in consideration for the future. I would very much appreciate if there is any news or roadmap for this. Thank you.

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

There is some news! See this post for details: https://forum.unity.com/threads/il2cpp-managed-debugger-for-standalone-players.520950/