Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3.1f1 - Particle system errors - Invalid AABB result / IsFinite(d)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gonzorob, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClearRoseOfWar

ClearRoseOfWar

2. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Ahh, damn. I've been battling these errors for the better part of the day, using this thread as one of my many references for the status of the situation. What I didn't realize is that the Google link was taking me to the first page when I thought it was the last. :/

So I managed to find a workaround before finding out there are patches available. I see that the patch isn't doing it for some people though, so I'll share what I did:

Basically in my game you can fire missiles in the direction of the joystick, and the missiles will be rotated to point in the appropriate direction. I think somewhere in my code the scale is also set to Vector3.one (when you fire, de-parenting the missile from the player). Anyway, the missile has a child object with a particle system which leaves a trail of smoke. Just before a missile destroys itself, it de-parents the particle system child, then calls a function attached to a script of the child object that destroys it after a short delay (startLifetime). I found that if I was facing to the right and fired the missile (without adjusting the angle), I wouldn't get the spam of errors, leading me to discover the problem came from the child object (with the particle system) ending up with a weird rotation and scale after de-parenting from the rotated missile. So in the script attached to the child, I set the localScale to Vector3.one and the localRotation to Vector3.zero and the errors stop popping up.

3. Baraff

Baraff

Given that there were people on this thread saying 5.3.1P1 did not fix all the isinfinite bugs I assumed it had been reported. I do not have a case number and have not tried to recreate a small example, my project is large (well over 16GB) and impossible to submit. I did see above that people are saying that the standard WaterProDaytime and Water4Advanced seem to display the issue easily for you. I personally am not using these assets here.

I just quickly created a plain water4advanced and added a particle. It did not produce the error. If I get a chance I will try to trim down the project, but that might be a tall order.

Others here may have a better idea of what is happening still. I know at least @elias_t is working around the problem, it just wont work for all situations.
    I should note, on the upside the fix you did do seemed to cure the performance issue with these logs. This one, while still hitting the 999+ in a blink of the eye is not seeming to drag the performance down with it.

4. NapsTeam

NapsTeam

Hi guys, did someone manage to solve this bug ?
    I am stuck with this bug and with UI almost corrupted because of some references lost and fonts not reading data but I suppose those are other bugs, will investigate forum

Thanks in advance for any help

5. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Download the latest patch here:
    http://unity3d.com/es/unity/qa/patch-releases

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Fixed for me! Thanxs..

8. Baraff

Baraff

@elias_t @HakJak @montyfi @sama.van @george722 and others.

Has anyone actually raised a bug report for the remaining particle error spam bugs like IsFinite(outDistanceForSort) ??
    If not, does anyone have a small project that could be used to raise the report?

@Aras @karl.jones am I right in assuming the remaining bugs will NOT be fixed unless someone is able to send a sample project and raise a bug report?

montyfi likes this.
  9. elias_t

elias_t

montyfi likes this.
  10. montyfi

montyfi

Thanks @elias_t, finally someone was able to do it. All my projects suffering from that issue but I cannot make it happen in default small project, as well as non existing Unity QA.

11. Baraff

Baraff

Thanks @elias_t . Hopefully it will be attended to. I added a vote for the Case.

As an side note, I downloaded the water project you linked to, but I could not get the error to happen.

12. elias_t

elias_t

You have to select the mist prefabs in the Mist folder and change them to Layer 'Default' so that the reflection camera renders them. Since they are particles the error occurs. You might need to move the boat a little with the arrow or wasd keys until it starts to show.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No we will endeavour to fix a bug even if we don't have a sample project. We just need to create one ourselves but it will mean the fix can take longer to happen. We have a bunch of particle fixes on the way. Just finishing them off this week.

14. Baraff

Baraff

Got it.. Yes, that made the bug appear. Just moved the boat around a bit and they started.

@karl.jones OK thanks. Good to know. Also, as mentioned above the water project creates the error. I have added a comment including the project link to Case 756786.

montyfi and karl_jones like this.
  15. Vyntex

Vyntex

Thank you! I spent all last night working on these errors. I just upgraded to the latest patch and it has fixed this issue. No more errors from particles.

16. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

The bug that prevents some particles from playing again is still present right?

Edit: Checked the issue tracker and its literally the first issue there lol.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  17. HQF

HQF

i got 5.3.1p2 but still got it!

18. silviobadseed

silviobadseed

We found a workaround to play them again. If you deactivate the gameobject, set the particle as playOnAwake and activate it again, now it works! Maybe there's a different flow which still works instead of the Play method.

19. ds44

ds44

As workaround (for particles playing again, and not displaying), you can also use:
    1) world instead of local simulation space for particles
    or
    2) just turn on SubEmmiters (without any specified - all set to none)

That way you are actually turning off automatic culling (icon with exclamation mark pops in particle system component with that message). I wrote bug report, and got reply that issue it will be fixed in 5.4 (that beta should fix it already - but I didn't try it yet though).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  20. SoyUnBonus

SoyUnBonus

The game we're working on relies on particles for certain important FX (like warning the player before a special attack) and the particles almost never appear.

The 5.3.1p3 doesn't fix this :(
    I hope the next patch version will!

21. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

22. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Check out the 2 comments above you for alternate solutions. You could also wait for p4 if you are not in a hurry to release your game.

23. carsenk

carsenk

I have noticed the issue with particles in 5.3.1f1 as well along with MASSIVE RAM consumption, I was running 5.3.0f1 just fine no problesm (usually under 512mb of RAM consumption) I upgraded to 5.3.1f1 and now anytime I import anything into Unity it takes forever and my RAM maxes out at like 6GB of usage for just Unity and then it freezes takes forever, then when I load up a scene that took no time at all before, it lags for like 20 minutes and then starts responding again only for a short amount of time.

Any other fix besides 5.3.1p3? 5.3.1p3 breaks tons of assets in my project (including awesome assets like Gaia)

I am kind of in a jam here with Unity in general. 5.3.1f1 is super slow and doesnt perform correctly for me on Windows 10 64bit (quad 3.1ghz proc, 8gb ram, r7 370 gpu, ssd drive) and then the 5.3.1p3 patch breaks all my previous assets....any ideas guys?

24. Graph

Graph

Using p3 though the particle systems still don't work :confused:
    One setup works once then never plays again; another one never starts.. The weird thing is that they are setup in an ~= way so there should not be a difference of this kind. Weird.

25. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No - we fix the issue for 5.4 first (because that's our 'forever' branch, and it helps to ensure that previously-fixed bugs don't appear again when upgrading) but with important regressions like particle effects not looping, we get the fix backported to 5.3 afterwards.

I believe that there are fixes for the looping problem already developed to 5.4 and just being merged in. Once that's done I expect we will get the fixes out in a patch release, either this week or the next.

Graph likes this.
  26. montyfi

montyfi

Thanks for the info! What about isFinite error? Is a fix coming any time soon?

27. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes we have a big bunch of particle fixed, this is one of them. This is all the fixes, they are largely related to the same problem.

745121: [ShapeModule] Particle system with Skinned Mesh Renderer as shape has its particles emitted in wrong position and rotation
    755677: ParticleSystem.IsAlive() always returns True for particle systems with longer duration
    756742: [ParcticleSystem] Some of the particles don't loop
    756786: IsFinite error spam with particles and second camera
    759502: [Shuriken] Particles disappear after going offscreen and returning
    756194: Particle system plays only once
    756725: Particle System triggered via Event Trigger doesn't play
    756971: When Particle System is stopped and cleared after that it won't play with simulation space set to local
    757461: ParticleSystem doesn't play if method is called via Invoke
    696610: [RenderingOrder] Particles are not drawn in the correct order on rotated particle systems
    723993: [culling] Wrong culling of some particle objects

If they go through this week then I will begin the backport and with any luck should have it ready for next weeks patch.

Baraff, carsenk and montyfi like this.
  28. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I retract my statement from a few pages ago, I've since switched over to 2D physics from 3D, I'm running p1 and getting

spammed over and over, infinitely, again.

I know exactly what seems to be causing it.

From the MegaFX pack on the Asset Store, Rain02 prefab.
    It's a basic rain particle effect, with a sub emitter upon death, and collision.
    Removing sub-emitters from the particle system will stop the spam.

But here's the weird part, it works 100% okay with 3D colliders and 3D collision. Only when I change Collision mode to 2D, and have it collide and spawn the sub-emitters on 2D colliders, does it start spamming the console. Is this a bug that's already been solved? It's starting to bum me out.

29. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What version of Unity are you using?

30. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Sorry, should have put the full version number: 5.3.1p1

31. flashfreakmx

flashfreakmx

This has taught me to read about bugs before updating to latest. Updated to 5.3.1 today and BAM same errors just killed my gameplay. Reverting back now

32. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Try 5.3.2p1 out next week. If that does not solve the problem please submit a bug report.

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey the fixes have now landed and will be in 5.3.2p1. Note the p, it will be the first patch release not the first 5.3.2. We did not make the cut off for the first 5.3.2 release. The patch is due out mid next week.

34. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thank you for hard work, so when can we expect 5.3.2 final version, some confusion as I thought there be a 5.3.1patch 4? Usually 4 patches before a final build.

35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hopefully next week.

karl_jones likes this.
  36. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

ya ouch this little bug hurts a lot lol

and yep love the error messages that give no indication what they are on about in a big scene you get to really dig long and hard to find what even related to what generating it lol

Now on to the similar issue we have. Fortunately we don't use a lot of particles that present the issue. only 2 thus far though that is enough to make the game unplayable it does at least allow us to work in other areas :)

In the first its actually part of the demo scene from Forge 3D's Sci-fi effects the shot_gun_gragment_001_example particle system. we disabled all the child/support particle systems so we where left with just the main system and by mucking around we came to the same conclusion as others above regarding the Renderer settings.
    If we disable renderer all together no issues, with renderer on as soon as the particles collide and thus die (no particles left) error spam 4 messages that seem to repeat on every frame per system.

here really hoping hard that this has a patch or hot fix soon

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes it sounds like it related to the same problem. We move the AABB when there are no particles and this was causing issues. Its fixed in next weeks patch.

alexandresk likes this.
  38. alexandresk

alexandresk

39. ZeraKoN

ZeraKoN

Not having this issue anymore after today's patch 5.3.1p4

40. kideternal

kideternal

I'm still seeing it in 5.3.1p4 when in VR mode.

41. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

If 5.3.2p1 does not fix the problems next week then please file a bug report.

kideternal likes this.
  42. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

Fingers crossed, that one it is fixed with the patch, and two that the patch comes soon. This is plaguing a lot of my development.

kideternal likes this.
  43. LAustralien

LAustralien

Hi

I have Unity Pro 5.3.1f1 and have similar errors ("Invalid AABB result", "aabb.IsFinite()", "Invalid AABB a"...)

I only started to get those errors after upgrading to 5.3.1f1

Karl.Jones above suggested downloading 5.3.2p1 which should fix these errors. May be a noobie question but how do I get 5.3.2p1 given that when "I check for updates" in the help menu, it advises me that my version is up-to-date...

Thanks

44. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Check for updates does not report on patches. The issue is in your version. 5.3.2p1 is not out yet but any of the later patches will fix that problem or you can wait a few days for 5.3.2p1. See my signature for patch url.

45. Dr_D

Dr_D

Thanks, Unity dev team. This patch release fixed my problems as well. Keep up the good work! :D

46. silviobadseed

silviobadseed

But a minor release like the upcoming 5.3.2 is the collections of all the patches of the previous minor release (like 5.3.1)? Or are there even something more fixes together with all the fixes in precedent patches?

47. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Each patch contains all the fixes from the previous ones.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is this issue, the "!IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)" issue and the particle issues in general handled in 5.3.2 ?

This is a major issue for asset developers and users, for example i saw some packs getting 1/5 star reviews for the "!IsFinite" error, while there is nothing users or the assets developers can do about it.

49. Girish-sruthkia

Girish-sruthkia

Is particle systems going to be batched in 5.3.2, cause they are not getting batched in 5.3.1. I'm sure its happening to everyone. Had someone noticed that??

50. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Particle system is not batched any more. It is now multi threaded which does not allow for batching but should provide better performance. If you find the performance has reduced then file a bug report and we can look at it.

The isFinite issue is an assertion that is caused when the AABB is incorrect. Seeing this message is not guaranteed to be the particle bug which was fixed in 5.3.1p1 so if you are still seeing it then it could be something else.
    I believe some users have had the assertion when using the water pack but this is still being investigated.

Girish-sruthkia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.