Search Unity

Unity 5.3.1f1 - Particle system errors - Invalid AABB result / IsFinite(d)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gonzorob, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alabatross

Alabatross

I am using a different ocean system in our main project and didn't get the error until 5.3.1p1 (maybe even 5.3.1, but the AABB error was spamming me out)

I was able to recreate it and send a case for it using water4 though, so it has something to do with using a second camera, possibly rendertextures like you say

elias_t and holliebuckets like this.
  2. DSebJ

DSebJ

I've got the same issue. Really hard to trouble shoot without a reference to the thing that's a problem :)

3. elias_t

elias_t

@Alabatross, I think i isolated the issue. If you set the reflection/refraction cameras not to render the layer where the particles belong to, the error stops to appear. It happened on my end.

hopeful likes this.
  4. DSebJ

DSebJ

Oh, & the patch fixes it! :)

5. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Thanks for the quick turnaround on that fix, guys. You made my Christmas.

Hope you guys have a good holiday. :)

6. HakJak

HakJak

Same errors here... just tried to run the sample scenes and they lag extremely bad, stretch images on the screen, and give me loads of errors. Everything worked great in 5.1.1f1 before I updated.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Which version did you try?

8. sama-van

sama-van

Having some extra logs...
    a mix of particles and raycast? o_O...

Attached Files:

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Are you on 5.3.1 patch 1? These error logs that happen due to empty particle systems are fixed there.

If you are on that version and still have these errors, then it might be some completely different bug. Bug report with a repro or steps how to reproduce please!

10. PeterHann

PeterHann

Dito same thing over here, as soon that an particle emitters particles die it causes problems, in my case the main dir light toggles worked fine with 5.2.3 now with 5.3.1f1 it's a mess.

JeffersonTD likes this.
  11. Jaimi

Jaimi

I had several errors in 5.3.1f1 that were fixed in 5.3.1p1. Have you tried the latest patch?

12. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

Same happening here. Getting:

aabb.IsFinite()
    IsFinite(d)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)
    IsFinite(outDistanceAlongView)
    IsFinite(d)
    Nice to see that I'm far from being the only one and great if a fix is under way. But regarding errors like this, wouldn't it be nice for the editor to point out the component that's causing the issues? Would it be possible to change it like that.

And as a sidenote: I just wish there were others having this issue as well:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...rd-and-viking-village-sample-projects.375643/ :(

ed: oh...
    What you posted there actually resembles the random effed'upness I'm having with eg. the CourtYard demo (in the above linked thread). Is that demo working fine for you?

13. MatthewW

MatthewW

DSebJ and JeffersonTD like this.
  14. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

Ah right, sorry. Not getting that error any more, although still curious about what I said in that post:
    But regarding errors like this, wouldn't it be nice for the editor to point out the component that's causing the issues?​

I'm also still getting these errors when loading the Viking Village demo project:

Failed reading from: '04/049385954893a938cd297f9b46f42dd0.rpc.sse'.
    Failed loading probe set data for hash: 0x049385954893a938cd297f9b46f42dd0
    Error adding system: Data not available.
    And still suffering from the graphical issues mentioned here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...rd-and-viking-village-sample-projects.375643/

15. MatthewW

MatthewW

Yeah I agree, this would be ideal. These kinds of errors are probably asserts much farther into the pipeline, though--like some piece of rendering code that's just checking the data it's about to render. Tracing that all the way back to the GameObject/Component it came from is probably a bit of work on Unity's end :/

16. JeffersonTD

JeffersonTD

Yep, that is very likely true. Every now and then things like this still probably happen, so unless it would require a serious renovation or added complexity throughout the codebase, it would be something to consider putting some effort into. For now of course the main thing is that the bug itself got fixed.

17. Bradamante

Bradamante

Yeah, I can confirm this. I did a repro on this with Unity 5.3.1p1.

You use the WaterProDaytime shader from the Standard Assets Package. You put the water Plane to 0 or near 0. You put the Scene view to ortho cam. You align with the Y axis (from above view). Now you align with Z (side view). The console gets spammed with

Code (csharp):
    2. Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 47194.425781) (Camera rect 0 0 1024 1024)
    3. UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    4. UnityStandardAssets.Water.Water:OnWillRenderObject() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Environment/Water/Water/Scripts/Water.cs:108)
    5. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    messages. If you exclude the TransparentFX layer from the water Reflect/Refract layers the problem does not occur. In my repro scene the only object using that layer is a ParticleSystem game object.

18. PeterHann

PeterHann

I could not run my project on p1 lot's of error trying to load it - didn't screenshot them though probably some 3rd party stuff issues so I turned back to f1

19. PeterHann

PeterHann

it's not really random - it is somehow bound to the particles - once an emitter has 0 alive particles it seems to be happening

20. sama-van

sama-van

I just installed Patch 5.3.1p1 and it runs the same errors... :(

Attached Files:

21. montyfi

montyfi

5.3.1p1 - Water4 Advanced, as soon as I press play and look at water console gets spamed with IsFinite() message. Haven't much time to investigate yet, but it looks like something wrong with reflections in water.

22. george722

george722

Yeah I'm getting IsFinate errors too. For me, it's being caused by a WaterProDaytime and many particle systems.
    No fix yet?
    I'll just use unity 5.2.4 :(

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  23. BurningthumbStudios

BurningthumbStudios

The Tanks demo recreates its nicely - guys at Unity, just run your demo code on Unity 5.3.1 to see the problem.

24. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We already fixed it in 5.3.1p1, which came out a week after 5.3.1.

If you're using 5.3.1p1 and you're still seeing problems with particle systems, please give us more bug reports so we can see what we missed!

HakJak likes this.
  25. HakJak

HakJak

5.3.1 and then the latest patch. I think it was 5.3.1p1

26. HakJak

HakJak

I tried 5.3.1p1 and unfortunately still received tons of the AABB type errors. The lag was gone and everything was playable again, but lots of errors. I'm running this on an iMac 27 inch late 2014 mode if that helps. I was in a rush to complete something and switched down to 5.2 at the time, so unfortunately I don't have more helpful info than that.

I'll try again on a future version and see how it goes.

27. shoeshine1984

shoeshine1984

Hello, I'm on 5.3.1f1 and I encounter this bug after upgraded from 5.3.0. The AABB errors occur whenever I emit particles. What information can I collect for you?

28. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The bug is fixed in 5.3.1p1, 5.3.1f1 has the bug. 5.3.1p1 is a patch release found here http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

29. subzer0

subzer0

When will you release the next updated version of Unity ? :D

30. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'm guessing after new year's day. They also need a rest :D

MrEsquire likes this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think half of the problems are people not understanding 5.3.1f1 and 5.3.1p1. Perhaps this can be further clarified for people who typically miss small details (for the bounding error).

32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I do agree, I'm not sure why people still confused about what a patch release is also.
    We may never understand, but that's why its so so so critical whenever Unity do a major release 5.3 etc that in the first week or two weeks of upgrading it has to be hardcore tested release with no major bugs.

As you can see whats happened, 5.3 came out bugged up and although Unity quickly released 5.3.1 and then 5.3.1patch1 the forums already flooded with issues from the original 5.3 release. Really 5.3.1patch1 should have been the 5.3 release.

Hence hope lessons been learn t, now people just need to monitor patch releases each week, although can be a pain and not good for customers, some of them really do contain Critical fixes and I recommend people read release notes at least before decision been made to upgrade.

@subzer0 Did you read the Unity blog on patch releases, really joke question to ask really considering they just released a major update week or two ago.

33. subzer0

subzer0

@MrEsquire, I want to build my game on webplayer, and patches cannot build or release a Web Player game. I asked because I wanted to know, before rolling back to previous version, if any update will be released soon.

34. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well you not asking the correct question, if a update is released next week, what exactly you expect in it, web player support or bug fixes, maybe best to start a new thread.
    Because this is related to the particle issues in 5.3

35. subzer0

subzer0

Ok sorry..:rolleyes:

36. superpig

superpig

I think 5.3.2 can be expected at the beginning of February.

37. cryptoforge

cryptoforge

38. Dream_Iverson

Dream_Iverson

the unity5.3.1P1 get this error `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllLines'

39. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Is this with the 5.3.1f1, or with 5.3.1p1?

40. pRoFlT

pRoFlT

Oh man same problem here... okay ill update patch and report back if i still have this issue. I'm rotating Particles in world space. Hope its not crashing Android as i just pushed out an apk file for some people to test ;) guess i should check real quick on my phone.

Edit: Okay patched fixed it for me. i did not see any issues on android with the error but who knows whats happening in the back ground and i didn't setup the debug environment to see. Thanks Unity for the patch.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  41. superpig

superpig

You're using the Webplayer platform, where System.IO.File.WriteAllLines is not supported. You need to go to File -> Build Settings, and switch to a different platform. You might also need to install support for the platform you intend to target.

42. Baraff

Baraff

The patch (5.3.1.P1) seems to have only fixed some of the issue for me.
    The AABB issue is gone but I am still being flooded with IsFinite(outDistanceForSort) error messages.

43. elias_t

elias_t

Hack that worked for me: If you are using any render Textures (for reflection and such) put all your particles in a layer where the render texture camera does not render them.

44. Baraff

Baraff

Thanks for the hack. It was useful and I started to do this, which on thinking about it, was probably a good idea anyway for a bunch of the particles, however some of them will not work. For example, if you have a burning boat on water, the reflection will look strange if the particle based flames are not reflected too.

I guess I need to wait for a Unity fix in the next patch hopefully.

45. Baraff

Baraff

I see a new patch has been released, but it seems no mention of this spamming IsFinite(outDistanceForSort) particle error message bug.

46. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What's the case number, again? 5.3.1p1 fixed one possible source of the IsFinite / invalidAABB bug that was reported. Maybe yours is a completely different bug that results in the same error (infinities/NaNs in particle bounding boxes somewhere appearing), but we need to know how to make it happen.

47. timlly

timlly

I have this problem too (

48. ClearRoseOfWar

ClearRoseOfWar

I have the same issue with unity 5.3.1f1

It happens when my fireworks particle count gets to 0

49. Dantus

Dantus

The issue is not solved in 5.3.1f1. It is solve in the patch release 5.3.1p1.

50. ClearRoseOfWar

ClearRoseOfWar

Ahhhh.. Thanks for that. I was unsure of what the p stood for. Furthermore, I didn't realize there was a whole page dedicated to patches :p

Thanks for that... its installing now. I'll let everyone know asap my results..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.