Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3.1 networking (UNET) completely broken on iOS

Discussion in 'UNet' started by nxtboyIII, Dec 19, 2015.

1. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Hi,
    I recently updated to Unity 5.3.1 and ran my mobile game on my iPhone 6 plus. When I tried to create or join a match, the app crashed after half a second, before even loading the map. This doesn't happen in the editor, only on iOS.

This completely ruins multiplayer for my game. In 5.3 we had the 15 syncvars error, and now in 5.3.1 it completely doesn't work on iOS.

Please fix this ASAP, this completely ruins my game that I am trying to release...

Thanks

2. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Case ID is 755722

3. ashleyjlive

ashleyjlive

It's not just iOS, Windows UNET also now doesn't work as of 5.3 or 5.3.1. A large majority of things do not sync and functions do not fire and I am left a very unstable version of my game.

4. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I'm likely getting the exact same crash. Joining or creating a match through the matchmaker is completely broken.

5. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

So based on the call stack I've found a workaround for now - before using the NetworkManager, set it's "runInBackground" property to false. The documentation states that it's not recommended on mobile devices, but that still shouldn't crash the app. Same is true for tvOS.

If you're connecting to an OS X build acting as your second device, make sure you add a platform check - most likely the desktop app is running in the background because you're focused on Xcode or you have multiple of them running.

Code (csharp):
    2. if(Application.platform==RuntimePlatform.IPhonePlayer || Application.platform==RuntimePlatform.tvOS)
    3. {
    4. _networkManager.runInBackground=false;
    5. }

pacdan likes this.
  6. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Thanks so much! Will try this and see if it works :)

eshan-mathur likes this.
  7. pacdan

pacdan

Eshan- I was banging my head against the wall then found your solution and it worked. Networking is now functioning on my iPad. Thank you!!

eshan-mathur likes this.
  8. kennethy

kennethy

Eshan came in clutch to save my final design project that is due in about 6 hours.

eshan-mathur likes this.
  9. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

You're welcome! But AHH! This is still a problem? We're quite a few versions past 5.3.1!

You're our only hope, @holliebuckets!

(to be fair I haven't tested taking the fix out yet, I'm too afraid!)

10. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

thanks for pinging me @eshan.mathur !! :D I've pinged the Multiplayer team to see what is up. I'm in Montreal for a summit this week but will still check back. :)

11. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

Hi @eshan.mathur
    Sorry you're running into this issue. I know we have a bug listed above that was closed above, but could you submit your project in a bug with the listed workaround, and anything else you've run into on this issue? It will help us get to the bottom of it.