Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.3.0f1 Installer Not Working

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by Jodon, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Jodon

Jodon

Hello,

I just installed 5.3.0f1. I unchecked everything except the Windows support and during installation I got a "Unity.exe not found". I retried, it re-downloaded but ended up with the same error. I chose "ignore" and was able to run Unity but cannot export to Windows platform.

I'm on Windows 10, chose a temporary download location and used a custom installation directory (C:\Program Files\Unity5.3.0f1).

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers.

2. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

Hi

This is the correct behavior.

To install the Windows Support, you also need to install Unity Editor itself (the very first component).

We are working to improve the experience, and make it more clear, so in the upcoming versions you'll get more warning messages before anything is downloaded.

Hope that helps.

3. Korbinian

Korbinian

I'm having the same problem: I first installed 'UnitySetup64-5.3.0f1' to a custom directory (in my case "K:\Program Files\Unity5.3.0f1"), then tried installing 'UnitySetup-Windows-Support-for-Editor-5.3.0f1' to the same custom directory, and am getting the error mentioned by Jodon.
    Editor executable is where I expected it, I can launch the editor too.

From Jodon's 'I chose "ignore" and was able to run Unity but cannot export to Windows platform' I am guessing that Jodon /did/ actually install the Editor, too.

4. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the additional information, I'm looking into it.

5. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

I just tried reproducing the described problem on Windows 10 and Windows 7, and asked my collegue from QA to do the same on Win10 and Win81.
    Followed all your steps exactly, and it worked fine for both of us.

It looks like there's something special about your machine, which is not mentioned in the repro steps. Please provide more information.

The only difference.. I installed on D: drive instead of K:, but I'm going to try the K: as well.

6. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

upd: installing on K: drive also worked fine

7. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

Here, I recorded a gifv to demonstrate what I did to reproduce the problem. Would be nice if you guys let me know what I'm doing differently than you :)

http://i.imgur.com/VTljZIB.gif

8. Realmforge

Realmforge

I too could install it on another machine without problems, and spotted the key difference: On my own machine, the 'windows support' installer wants to install two components:
    * Unity Windows Support (32-bit)
    * Unity Windows Support (64-bit)

I only installed the 64 bit editor of 5.3.0f1, but a couple of months ago I did install the 32 bit editor of 5.1.3p3 which I've deleted since (no proper uninstall ...).

After deleting the 'Location' value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unity Technologies\Installer\Unity I could successfully install the 'windows support'.

I am unsure why the platform support installer is both looking at the registry and asking me where to install to?

Jodon likes this.
  9. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

This is because the installer detects that you have both 32 and 64 bit Unity versions installed.

10. Realmforge

Realmforge

Right. Still not really the best behavior: the path supplied by the user is ignored, the error message is unhelpful, and having different Unity versions on one machine just got difficult (particularly 32bit and 64bit in parallel, which admittedly is rare).

So suggestions:

* Don't look into the registry. Use the path supplied by the user, and figure out from there whether thats a 32bit or 64bit installation.

or

* Don't ask for a path during installation if it's ignored anyway (I can choose a different directory, but nothing will be put there)
    * Verify that the target installation exists and that the version matches! For me, it would have tried installing into a 5.1.3p3 installation

Minor things of course. Personally I'm satisfied with the workaround.

11. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

I wasn't aware of this behavior, and will need to double-check what happens with the registry checks and the specified paths. Thanks for the info though.

12. Jodon

Jodon

This must be it. I need 32-bit support for one of my projects because the plug-ins are not yet 64-bit compatible. However, I have multiple versions of Unity and want 5.3 to be 64-bit. Nice find.

13. oleksiy

oleksiy

Unity Technologies

The workaround for this problem should be deleting the registry key:
    HKCU\Software\Unity Technologies\Installer\Unity\Location (if it's present)

I think I know what the problem is now, and working on a fix.

Jodon likes this.