Search Unity

Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kronnect, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not a very good trello system for Unity roadmap ?

I was not aware , i thaught it was the top. What GUI system is faster on the asset store ? any exemple ?

2. darkhog

darkhog

Maybe because Unity is a better renderer? Standard shader, et cetera...

3. Arowx

Arowx

You can compare the speed of the 3D text component and the GUI text component. I did when it was in beta and found that the new GUI text had an upper limit to the number of characters it could display as well as being proportionally slower than the 3D text. It has improved since the beta but because a lot of the UI subsystem is outside of the core it cannot take advantage of potential performance improvements that could better be implemented in Unity's C++ core/rendering engine.

E.g. the impact of text/UI changes could be negated from the mono Garbage Collection system (this can cause major performance hiccups in games).

4. Arowx

Arowx

I think with Unity we should be able to make a Sketchfab App, with a minimal WebGL overhead and with some of the improvements coming soon we should definitely be able to do that.

Although it would be cool to have a Sketchfab style preview image and play button template.

5. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

What do you mean by this? Why not use Sketchfab if you just want to have a 3D Model WebGL previewer?

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Do you use another faster UI system from the Asset Store or do you keep going with Unity new one ?

7. Ferazel

Ferazel

While the UI system is a pretty good fundamental system for layout and responsive design, the rate of bug fixes and improvements since release has been really disappointing. I hope with 5.2 around the corner with a potential new batching algorithm that they are at least on par with NGUI in regards to their per frame computational overhead.

I expect that 5.2 features will be announced next week at Unite Amsterdam (if not beta 1 released). We can hopefully have a better understanding of what is happening on the UI side and if it is going to be worth it to continue to assume that "things will get better" anytime soon. Or if it might just be better to just use a 3rd-party alternative like NGUI, Scaleform, or a CSS-style UI system. It's obvious that other's agree as NGUI is still a top grossing asset on the asset store. I really want Unity's UI system to be the defacto standard, but after 7 months I'm pretty disappointed in the results we've seen.

8. darkhog

darkhog

Because Unity is much better at rendering things, standard shader and so on.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Then use the marmoset webgl previewer.

Bruce_GMC likes this.
  10. Marble

Marble

The UI system is pretty good, but I agree that the promise of a quickly evolving open-source initiative has become a pretty damp squib. During the beta, UI designers often said "we want to improve x, but it won't quite make it into release." And then it was all hands on deck for U5. That's perfectly fair, but any assumption that they will get back to these postscripts has begun to wear out. Better text rendering is the big one, but there are also lots of little issues, many of which have been acknowledged but put on ice. The InputField has been particularly annoying; I wish it would distinguish between InputField.onSubmit with the enter key and losing focus, that it could get the range of a text selection, that it could validate a backspace, etc. I've lived well enough with these deficits so far, but it's becoming clear that I may be living with them indefinitely. As a former Daikon Forge user, I appreciate the security of using an official system. I do miss the responsive team and the constant progress that plugin authors often provide, though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity goal has never been to provide top notch features, but let the Assset Store bring better core features.
    I don't think it will change unfortunatelly.

12. ippdev

ippdev

You are supremely annoying. What do you post here for if it's gloom and doom and miasmatic BS every single post??

Devil_Inside likes this.
  13. ippdev

ippdev

Just goes to show ya all the molarkey flying about abut making Unity open source and the community will kick in and get 'er done el snappo is a whole lotta hot air. If that was so then where are all these smart dev contributions to the uGUI open source initiative??

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

I was just asking about UI, now i got the answer. If you are happy with new UI then good for you and no one forced you to read my posts or recat on the last one.
    Your posts are useless.

15. ippdev

ippdev

Gimme a break. You are nothing but a trash mouther of Unity. Trying to pretend otherwise may fool someone who ain't been around the block at least once. Yer like a right winger on a left winger forum or vice versa. Unity UI works just great for me. But I write highly optimized frameworks from the get go. Your mileage may vary based on such. To put the gambit shoe back on your foot..No one is forcing you to post to a forum where you are NEVER happy with the product. Or are you just a panty waisted whiner by nature??

16. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's like any software, if you never say you are not happy, you will never see improvments or price changes :cool:

17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Thread locked due to bickering and getting off topic.

Aurore and Graham-Dunnett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.