Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.2 VSTU integration broken on Mac

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by davecazz, Sep 17, 2015.

1. davecazz

davecazz

Breaking this out into it's own thread because I'm afraid it's getting lost among the other larger issue.

So, with Unity 5.2 VS integration. Unity currently ignores the UnityVS plugin.

This is correct behavior on Windows but OS-X users still rely on the plugin to manually create a UnityVS solution and to connect to the Unity instance.

There are many Mac users that run Visual Studio in parallels or VMWare that rely on the VSTU plugin.

We currently don't have a workaround and cannot use 5.2 until we have this fix.

Now, if there was someway for Unity to auto-detect our Visual Studio install on our parallels share, that would be even better, but I have a client project that needs to be upgraded to 5.2 soon and I'm going to be left in the lurch unless I get some kind of solution soon.

2. Tristan.fgol

Tristan.fgol

I'm in the same situation, in Unity 5.1 I was able to use UnityVS with Visual Studio through Parallels running Windows. But with the upgrade to 5.2 the plugin is ignored and I can now not generate a Visual Studio solution that will recognise the Unity API.

There are quite a few people who rely on this solution to work with Unity on a Mac, and it would be great if this is resolved ASAP. Even better if native support can be added to the Mac version for dealing with Visual Studio in a VM! Shouldn't be too hard it was pretty much working before (Minus a few crashes/hangs when debugging and not opening on the correct line in VS)

3. davecazz

davecazz

can we get a response from unity concerning this mac issue?

It would be helpful to know if this is even an issue you are looking to fix.

My nightmare would be that some project manager decides there aren't enough mac visual studio users to warrant this fix despite the fact that the VSTU guys are telling us they are communicating this issue to you.

4. ThirdPartyNinjas

ThirdPartyNinjas

This is really unfortunate. :(

I'd love an update on this if anybody finds anything.

5. Tristan.fgol

Tristan.fgol

So there is at least a bit of a workaround provided here by passerbycmc #60 which allows projects to be opened in visual studio again but doesn't provide debugging or the like

6. ThirdPartyNinjas

ThirdPartyNinjas

7. arkon

arkon

I Can't get VSTU to work at all no matter what I try on the Mac. I'm somewhat confused because it's impossible to run Visual studio on a Mac without it being in a VM, so if Unity5.2.1P3 and VSTU isn't meant to work with VS in a VM then doesn't that mean we Mac users are screwed as Unity doesn't integrate with VS on a Mac full stop?

Currently I am trying Unity5.2.1P3 Plus VSTU 2.1 for VS2015, Unity runs on OS X and VS2015 runs in a Parallels Windows 10 VM.

I can get Unity to open a file in Visual Studio again now but can't get any debugging done with it. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed in the P3 patch?

Has any other Mac Unity user actually got VSTU to work or am I the only one?

8. arkon

arkon

Really no one? Has any other Mac Unity user actually got VSTU to work or am I the only one?

9. jooeess

jooeess

this has been fixed in the latest patch release, thankfully! https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2.2

• (none) - Visual Studio Integration: On mac, no longer ignore UnityVS assemblies in the assetsfolder, so that win->mac debugging works again

10. Ghirigoro

Ghirigoro

I might be doing something wrong but this does not seem to be fixed on my end. I have the following setup:

- Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Unity Tools 2.1 running on Windows 8.1
    - Unity 5.2.2 personal edition running on OSX 10.11.1

When I select Open C# Project...
    both MonoDevelop and VS start up but VS is just a window (i.e. no project loaded)​

When I double click on the .csproj or .sln for the project...
    the project opens up properly but all the references to the unity dlls (e.g. UnityEditor, UnityEngine, etc.) are missing​

Is there something else that needs to be done to get VS working with Unity 5.2.2?

11. ThirdPartyNinjas

ThirdPartyNinjas

I just tried this with 5.2.2p3. While the "Visual Studio Tools" menu does show up now, I'm unable to find the Unity instance for debugging from Visual Studio. The "Select Unity Instance" window is just empty.

I tried again in 5.1, and it works as expected.

12. bilke

bilke

In the release notes of Visual Studio Tools for Unity 2.2:
    • For Unity on OS X with and Visual Studio in a virtual machine, Visual Studio properly detects and debugs Unity on the host.
    But how to set that up in a new Unity project? Do I need the old plugin (which is now bundled with Unity, at least on Windows)?

13. cmdexecutor

cmdexecutor

Unity 5.3 such as unity 5.4b does not open project solution, just opening scripts through inspector as separate files in VS. Is there any fix?