Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.2: Gear VR app crashes when using AA using Android 5.1.1

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by labCosium, Sep 17, 2015.

1. labCosium

labCosium

It seems that something fixed in recent patch is coming back :

Any Gear VR app compiled using Unity 5.2 with AA set on crashes on start... you can try with a default project. I'm using built in VR support (no Oculus package at all). Have tried to adapt some player settings but it seems only AA causes the crash.

I'm using Android 5.1.1 and didn't test any other version.

Anybody has a workaround ?

Thanks

2. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

3. seansteezy

seansteezy

i have AA off and it still crashes

4. labCosium

labCosium

FYI, works like a charm when using Unity 5.1.3p3 if you can go back to this version...

5. seansteezy

seansteezy

i got things working. there are a ton of things you can check, but I think what did it for me in Unity 5.2 with the new GearVR beta, 0.5.0, was to just set graphics API to "auto" in the publish settings.

6. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

All Oculus apps on S6 updated, Graphics API set to auto. App not starting.
    Attaching QualitySettings.antiAliasing = 2; script to camera and no aa in quality settings- application starting, i see scene for second, and black screen...

7. leetful

leetful

I'm using Unity 5.2.1p1 and GearVR app crashes at launch on S6 when exporting with any antialiasing enabled.

8. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

I had the same issue (running Unity 5.2.1f1)

FIXED it by removing OpenGLES 3.0 from the Graphics API.

So kinda opposite to the above, I unchecked the API "auto" in "Project Settings -> Player -> Other Settings".
    Then I removed OpenGLES 3.0, leaving 2.0 as the only available option.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue. ;)

fuzzy3d likes this.
  9. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Thanks for reply. Removing OpenGLES 3.0 not working on 5.2.1p1. Antialiasing= crash.
    Unity native VR.

10. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

That sucks..

well not sure if it could be because of the way you did it vs the way i did it.
    Since I read your reply above, you said you attached a script to the camera etc. Well I have no script to change the AA, I just have it as "x2 Multi Sampling" in the Quality settings.Have you tried both approaches? (script & no script)

I am also running this on a Samsung S6 by the way. Oculus App on the phone seems to be v0.5.23.

11. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Unity 5.2.1p1 Personal, GearVR and Samsung S6.
    API Auto off, removingOpenGLES3.

Restart PC, build, antialiasing is working now! Thank you very much Thiago.

+rendering path forward, multithreaded rendering off, Oculus app on phone is 0.5.23
    Edit: Antialiasing in Quality settings- no script.

O.K., and now Rift DK2 setup... (edit: DK2 working :))

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    VRLines likes this.
  12. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

i get a problem where it crashes during load and resorts to samsung gear vr. I tried all the stuff you guys done. went from 5.3.0 b1 back to 5.2.1f1 and no dice so far. trying now with split binary see if that works, but wow this is a pain. any thoughts on what could be causing the issue? I am using the ovrplayercontroller, auto api (tried GLES 3.0 and 2.0 with auto off) tried multi threading off, AA off. not sure what to do. forward rendering enable. got the latest software for oculus and samsung gear vr. just dumbfounded. and mind you i have a presentation in the morning to submit this to.

13. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

I am working with native VR Unity support (5.2.1p1), no Oculus file at all. "Standart" camera with target Eye both. Player settings- Virtual reality supported. GearVR for S6.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  14. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

yeah fixed it using that.

15. Optimus6128

Optimus6128

I still has this problem in Samsung Galaxy Note 4 + GearVR with any msaa antialiasing on.
    Without VR, I get the problem with wrong graphics and crash, unless I force Open GL ES.20
    For our projects, I am gonna keep antialiasing off for the moment (and maybe use FXAA filter instead) and wait for an update of Unity. I read there is a patch that fixes the problem, or it will be fixed in 5.2.2.

But I noticed something else. Drastic performance loss for the same projects since 5.1.2. I was getting locked 30fps at some worse cases in our scenes, 60fps locked at our best cases, when looking away from too much geometry. Now, I get 20-25fps in worse cases and sometimes that frame rate is jumping even if I look away of all geometry, rarely getting 60, jumping from 50-57. Also, at some points important stalls in the framerate. I don't like this, I don't like it at all, thinking to get back to 5.1.2. Or investigate why this happens (the new compress vertex data options?).