Search Unity

Unity 5.2 Android sprites black / not drawing

Discussion in 'Android' started by 2dSparrow, Sep 11, 2015.

1. 2dSparrow

2dSparrow

I recently updated to Unity version 5.2 from 5.1.2 and went to test my android build which was previously drawing textures perfectly but is now displaying all of my sprites as black. The same projects IOS export is working fine display textures perfectly. I tried to change the export settings a few times but no luck, any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Screenshot_2015-09-11-22-38-18.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. fhumans

fhumans

Set the texture settings to advanced and disable mip-maps.

Also, what device are you using?

CovalenceSTU likes this.
  3. J0rdy

J0rdy

I have exactly the same problem.

4. J0rdy

J0rdy

Why is it that we have to change the texture settings and mip-maps in Unity 5.2?

5. 2dSparrow

2dSparrow

Fixed the display problem however the game is running noticeably slower, not sure if it's just another 5.2 "feature" or not. I have an HTC One X. Just to reiterate the build was working perfectly fine on my device before the 5.2 update.

Also agree with J0rdy this is kind of silly.

6. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

What's your device? I have the same thing and QA managed to reproduce it, but it's only doing it on a few devices. Perhaps send a bug report for them to have more to work with.

7. PedroGV

PedroGV

8. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Didn't help.

9. J0rdy

J0rdy

I tried it on ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

10. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@ J0rdy yeah that's my tablet as well. And it does it on that.

11. spryx

spryx

Interesting, I have had the same issues with black sprites as well. Oddly enough, it only seems to happen about one time per ten launches. Have experienced on a HTC M7 and Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

Check the profiler as well.... I had some crazy spiking going on when my sprites were black.

12. devluz

devluz

Hmm same problem here. Works fine on all my Samsung devices but Transformer Prime shows everything involving transparency as black.

It seems to be very easy for me to reproduce. Moving a transparent sprite into the scene and running it in android is all I need to do. Is this bug reported?

Edit: Went back to 5.1.2 for now

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Report it to be sure. my issue isn't with transparency.

14. WinterSoldier5

WinterSoldier5

I've just tried with upgrading to Unity 5.2.0p1, this made the issue worse not better. Now even text comes up as pink as if the shader is missing.

15. fhumans

fhumans

Try to set the texture format to "Truecolor". Additionally, make sure that if you are loading custom shaders from scripts they are accessible (e.g. put them in the Resources folder).

16. PedroGV

PedroGV

Having installed v5.2.1 some textures are displayed black again.

17. devluz

devluz

I installed v5.2.1 and at least normal transparent sprites work again.I didn't have the time to test everything yet though.

Seems we have all different results.

18. WinterSoldier5

WinterSoldier5

Yep already have them all in Truecolor and no luck. I also don't use any custom shaders.

19. renanse

renanse

For what it is worth, I have been seeing a very similar issue in 5.3.X Android builds, particularly if I switch platforms from iOS to Android. It seems to go away if I reimport all and then do the build. With the longer build times of 5.3, this is a royal pain.

Rostam24 likes this.
  20. Taishou

Taishou

In Unity 5.3.4 the problem still exists. I opened a bug

21. forcepusher

forcepusher

I solved this issue by not using unity's built-in sprites. This might not completely solve it in all cases tho, I still had some black textures in WebGL.

22. dimitroff

dimitroff

Any updated on this? I still have to delete the whole Library, when building our Android build, after iOS, just in case I don't get black textures.

23. oriolmanya

oriolmanya

For me it worked just to Reimport All Assets:
    Menu > Assets > Reimport All

Mootinator likes this.
  24. Mootinator

Mootinator

oriolmanya you have saved me hours of scouring and checking what settings i might have fooled with! +20!!

25. spark-man

spark-man

Same problem i also experiencing on galaxy s5 using Unity 5.4.0 f3 and some older version. Have you found solution?

26. odin8958

odin8958

I was also getting same issue in my project it was happening with nexus device specially when i was loading any sprite soon after any add video is completing, I found out that the image i was loading after video add complete if that image is loaded first time at that moment its coming as black patch so if i am just loading those images before app goes in background it worked fine.

27. quako

quako

happening for me if i pause the app just after clicking the icon. The scene is referencing the sprite i want but in the screen i see sprite black.