Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.2.0f3 - Black textures

Discussion in 'Android' started by iSetsu, Sep 10, 2015.

1. iSetsu

iSetsu

Some textures in my project began to appear black at android build.

I put on the level of three objects:
    -Two objects should appear black every time.
    -Third was without textures.
    The output came exactly what I expected.

But when i replace material on "black object" at working material from different scene - all three objects became black. Even one without any textures. (all was mobile/diffuse)

I try to switch static checkbox in different way, but nothing change.

It's not because of the shader and not because of texture format. It is not because of dynamic or static objects.

There is some logic in this, but I can not figure out why this happening.

P.S. Also it affect some UI element.

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. RedLin

RedLin

Back to 5.1.3

3. PedroGV

PedroGV

I'm experiencing the same thing: all UI elements and sprites are rendered black with the exception of fonts, as well as some other textures.

When this used to happen with previous versions it used to be related to asset serialization not being forced to binary and or texture compression types per device. But this time, nothing works.

4. PedroGV

PedroGV

5. PedroGV

PedroGV

Can anyone on the Unity QA team confirm whether you are aware of this bug?

6. WinterSoldier5

WinterSoldier5

I have this same issue, disabling mip maps did NOT work for me. It's very rare that it happens but I can't release a game knowing that it does happen.

7. PedroGV

PedroGV

It does neither work for me.

The strange part is that this happens with upgraded projects (say, from v5.1.3p3 to v5.2f1). If I create a project from scratch with v5.2f1, everything seems fine). Weird.

8. WinterSoldier5

WinterSoldier5

What I can tell you is the list of things I've tried;

Disable Anti Aliasing
    Using ETC1 / RGBA16 Compression
    Making Textures smaller than 1024x1024
    Recreating the project from scratch
    Upgrading to the latest version of Unity
    Set quality settings to fastest
    Disabled 32 bit buffer
    Disabled Mipmaps for sprites

None of those have fixed the issue for me. The only clue I have is from my ADB Logcat when the sprites are missing the following line is present: E/Unity (23092): GLSL compilation failed, no infolog provided.

I've attached my logcat from when sprites are missing too in case anyone can make more sense of it than I can.

Attached Files:

9. PedroGV

PedroGV

I've done the same with my game with no luck so far.

So, again: can anyone on the Unity QA team confirm whether you are aware of this bug?

mark71 and MrEsquire like this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Has anyone actually filed a report about this? If so, what's the bug number?

11. WinterSoldier5

WinterSoldier5

Unlike some of the other guys I'm working in 2D rather than 3D and so using standard sprite shaders but getting a very similar issue. I have submitted a bug report, Case 726142_b9a9upgt83sfiemd

12. PedroGV

PedroGV

After doing a clean installation of v5.2.0p1 (including reinstallation of the standard assets for that version), released today, everything works fine again on Android. At least in my case.

13. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@superpig, i did some time ago, it was said to be fixed on 5.2, but it still does it for me. Q/A said that it's fine on some Tegra3 devices, but not on a Transformer TF300T.
    Bug case: Case 704017
    5.2.0p1 didn't help in my case. I also got a lot of warning about that GI file missing, and for not being able to add the asset file for sharedassetsxx.resource.

I'm also not using realtime GI, just prebaked.
    It seems that any shader that is lightmapped, appears black. to me at least.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  14. Meltdown

Meltdown

15. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

yeah i'm trying that now, but it takes time. and i noticed that the lightmaping is different from 5.1.2 to 5.2. Same settings produce different files.

16. PAHeartBeat

PAHeartBeat

Hi

We are also facing same Issue with some of Galaxy family Devices like Galaxy S5 and newer devices. (its work perfect on Nexus, Galaxy S4, OnePlus, Motorola etc). We are using Unity 5.2.0f3

When We work with Unity 4.6.x that issue came with Nexus 7 Tablet and it solved out with uncheck "Use 32 bit Display buffer" from player setting of application. but for this issue that solution also not works.

I thought that issue due to Device GPU Galaxy S6 series has GPU from MALI, maybe mali is not support one these two (32 bit Display Buffer / Depth and stencil")

We have tried on another Galaxy Tab 10.1 with uncheck "User 32 bit Display Buffer" it will not work but we checked "User 32 bit Display Buffer" and "Disable Depth and Stencil" is work on that device.

I don't test yet on S6 and S6 Edge. but As I mentioned about Galaxy 10.1 has Adreno GPU and S6 has mali GPU.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  17. PedroGV

PedroGV

Having installed v5.2.1 some textures are displayed black again.

18. Tapgames

Tapgames

I have a customer too that has a TF300T tablet with all black textures/screen after update with Unity 5.2.1p2

Any update on this unity?

19. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Have you submitted a bug report? It gives them more stuff to work with and actually shows how important it is.

20. Tapgames

Tapgames

I don't have any issue's with Unity 5.2.1p2. It's just that people with a TF300T have problems or maybe all Tegra 3 users. They tell me before the update all worked fine. I will try to file a bug.

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I had issues with ONE scene in a project of mine constantly stuffign the lightmapping. The result? my racetrack kept coming up black or distorted when opened. (The other track wasn't affected, I have already tried cleaning the GI cache)

22. PedroGV

PedroGV

Any luck with v5.2.1p3?

23. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

24. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

We fixed bug that causes black textures on many Tegra 3 and Tegra 4 devices. I will most likely be in Unity 5.2.2p1. Sorry for this...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  25. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Man it's like dangling a chocolate cake infront of me and saying "display only".
    Did you mean most likely, or not likely?

26. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Missed 5.2.1p4 with the fix, so if nothing unplanned happens it should be in 5.2.2p1

27. sevensails

sevensails

I have the same problem with 5.2.2p1... Was it fixed?

28. jacknorrisuk

jacknorrisuk

Also having this problem, can't find any solution to sort out all-black textures - on everything except terrain and sprites.
    Using Unity 5.2.2f1 on Windows 10 with Samsung Galaxy S6

Attached Files:

29. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Try the latest patch. it fixed it for me.

30. dude4004

dude4004

I don't know if it can help BUT, in my project, everything is working fine in Editor.
    I also tested it with Bluestack (android emulator) and i have this issue which all the sprite are dispalyed in black.
    Afterf several hour, I've found that when a texture can be divided by 4, it will be in ETC2 format.
    I just resized the black sprite with a new size like 127X127 and not 128x128 and it work like a charm.

I also tried to export to DXT and everything works in bluestack, but when I publish it on google play store, there is only 450 device compatible. ETC (default) = 9000+ device which is way better!

If somebody find a perfect solution for this trouble, I would be very happy to not convert all my project with crappy size.

UnityLighting likes this.
  31. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

DXT texture compression is supported on nvidia chipsets. ATC is for Adreno, and PVR is for PowerVR chips.
    ETC is required to be supported by all Android devices which is why the supported devices number is so high.
    The black textures thing is a bug in that version of the editor, have you tried a newer version?

32. dude4004

dude4004

Ok, I've tried ETC and the game launch and is stuck on Unity Spash Logo.
    I tried ETC2 and it work like a charm on my 2 android device.
    With the ETC2, the emulator bluestack isn't working, I still see only black sprite, so for the testing purpose, I think I'll have to try my android device instead of the emulator (which was 5x faster for debugging)

33. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

fyi, Unity 5.4 will have a workaround for ETC2 with Bluestacks. Currently no plans to backport this.

34. sevensails

sevensails

But this problems happens only on Bluestacks or there is devices which are affected by this same problem?

35. dimitroff

dimitroff

I still have the same problem on Unity 5.3.2, testing on device and inside Genymotion.

36. U7Games

U7Games

any updates?
    i have tried my game on Galaxy Grand phone (yes, a bit old) and run fine, but there are some black sprites too..
    import settings for the black sprite are the same to working ones... :(

37. BrianND

BrianND

I get the issue in 5.6.3f1. This only seems to happen when I get a google game service login prompt before I start the game. I wonder if that pauses some thread that is loading or decompressing textures. If that does not pop up then the game loads the textures fine.