Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.1 VR Getting Started

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by thep3000, Jun 10, 2015.

1. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Oculus dropped Mac support in their runtime after the 0.5.0.1 runtime. You will need to use that runtime if you wish to run on the Device while on OSX.

2. noemis

noemis

Hello there, I'm currently using 5.2.2.f1 and we create beside other VR apps GearVR Demos. But I'm wondering, that there is still no way to freeze the positional tracking... We are using a combination of equirectangular stereoscopic images and real geometry and this would be a very important feature. Otherwise everything is "swiming".

currently I use something like:
    sceneCenter.transform.localPosition = UnityEngine.VR.InputTracking.GetLocalPosition (UnityEngine.VR.VRNode.CenterEye);

But this causes also that I can not use static geometry :(

Is there a better workaround or plans to implement it? We create the same scene for cardboard using google sdk and there it'j just a bool: "use positional tracking". There are also some more options like COI ("centre of interest") - like convergence... this would be also very good to know... where are the cameras crossing? Can I adjust it?

3. toxicfrog

toxicfrog

I am porting my Oculus game to Cardboard, and have one final problem to solve:

The player is in a flying chair. The player moves through the world by gazing on specific objects. When moving, the chair orients to the direction of travel.

The Cardboard Head node is a child of the chair.

On the Oculus, the camera's orientation is always relative to the chair.

But, on the Cardboard, it is not inheriting the rotation from the chair. For example, when the chair turns 90 degrees left, the player in the virtual world remains facing in the same direction as he is in the physical world. I need the player in the virtual world to always be aligned with the chair he's flying on.

In other words, I need the Cardboard camera's 'Forward' to always be relative to the chair's 'Forward'.

I've tried using a target object in the Cardboard Head object, but no luck.

I'd appreciate any advice, and will reply with results.

Thanks!

4. noemis

noemis

ok, to solve my Problem (disable position tracking on gear / freeze position) two posts above, here is the solution: give your camera a parent with local coordniates (0,0,0) and do something like this (substract CenterEye) in Update ():
    CamParent.transform.localPosition = -UnityEngine.VR.InputTracking.GetLocalPosition (UnityEngine.VR.VRNode.CenterEye);

Now the eyes just rotate around their center :) - It still would be nice to just turn it off or in general: have more VR options.

Dirrogate likes this.
  5. gregroberts

gregroberts

Hi, we're trying to publish a GearVR app to the Oculus Store, built in Unity 5.2.3f1.
    We get these errors when we run the Oculus check_submission utility on it:

*** 3 errors detected. Submission does not meet requirements.

--> APK is launchable (launchable-activity)
    --> Intent Filter Category attribute (application/activity/intent-filter/category) must be INFO in manifest
    --> Exclude from Recents (android:excludeFromRecents) must be non-0 in manifest

I think we can deal with the second two in the manifest.
    Does anyone have details on how to toggle the APK as "non-launchable"?
    ----------------------
    UPDATE:
    I may have solved. Keeping the post in case anyone else has same issue:

> comment <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" /> from the manifest.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=22995

6. gregroberts

gregroberts

I've read that the AndroidManifest.xml is auto-generated and placed in the Plugins/Android/assets folder,
    but after multiple builds, which all run fine on test phones (with OSIG files), I see no such file.

I DO see the file in /Temp/StagingArea/android-libraries/ovrplugin/

Do I manually copy that file and modify it?
    Anyone with insight : thank you in advance, we are on a deadline!

7. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Use the Manifest provided by Oculus in their Oculus Plugin Utilities package for Unity. That manifest should contain everything you need. We update the manifest on our side, but it has been some time since we have needed any changes. They may have updated the manifest requirements and we missed their update. Thanks for letting us know.

8. elbows

elbows

Shouldn't Unity unsticky(unpin) this post and make a new one, or edit this ones title and initial post to contain more timely version info? e.g. Oculus Runtime 0.8 not 0.6, newer version of Unity etc.

thomasphifer and blindgoat like this.
  9. thomasphifer

thomasphifer

Hey Unity! I'm looking for a Getting Started with Unity VR Development specifically with Oculus Rift SDK 1.3! Could you guys put something out to help get us started with development now that the Rift has shipped and things are a little different now like with Oculus Home being required to run at all times etc... Currently I am having trouble with getting a scene to start in VR with my DK2 while using Unity 5.4 Beta and Oculus Unity Plugin 1.3. It's the same problem with Unity 5.3 so I don't think it's Beta related. Oculus Home goes to load the scene and I can hear the audio of the Unity game but Oculus Home just has a loading screen in the headset. I have already checked allow 3rd Party apps to run via Oculus Home. Thanks!!!

10. moshegame

moshegame

Good day!

I'm using Unity few years ago, and the height of the video game Vr, and wanted to develop one test, and downloaded the carboard Google as examples, are also examples of Oculus
    and when I export and taste it on my cell that is not a Samgsun but another brand, open the application, but it does not work, the screen is static, and at times not even run the application.

I could you please tell me why.

Thank you so much

11. thomasphifer

thomasphifer

I found out the answer to my problem: https://forums.oculus.com/developer...uires-unity-5-3-4p1-new-ovrplugin-for-unity-5

12. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi there,
    I've posted in this thread before about native VR support for native plugins doing rendering natively (the world native just stopped making sense to me).

So, I got it working surprisingly well on Occulus thanks to Unity's command buffers' IssuePluginEvent.

Basically what I do is setup a command buffer in the camera's OnPreRender twice each frame (once per eye).
    The command buffer is set to render either BeforeImageEffectOpaque or BeforeImageEffect (that's a user setting).

So, that works with occulus but not when deploying for GearVR, where I get either no rendering at all or rendering without depth testing (usually the scene's depth buffer is bound in the context and valid when performing native rendering).
    So, I'm guessing this is a bug in the GearVR-specific code? Are command buffers supported with native VR (occulus' behaviour suggests that yes)?

13. Fattie

Fattie

14. cdg2717

cdg2717

hi everyone :
    i am newbie about Unity3D, i just want to try some DIY VR ,and i have a problem which i think it's very easy for all of you. the problem is i get a OBJ model ,it's OK when i upload to sketchfab,but when i try to put it into Unity3D,it doesn't looks like right (kind of dark ,check out the images),i don't know it's about light or about render.

Attached Files:

15. Fattie

Fattie

@cdg2717 you probably simply just need to add lighting to the scene. it's like the real world - no lighting, and it's dark.

this is more a general question, not really specific to VR. best to ask on gamedev.com or somewhere like that.

try to master "ordinary" unity game first, before VR game

Good luck with your Unity adventures!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  16. Xel_Naga

Xel_Naga

Can someone help with proper setup of oculus dk1 and unity 5.4?
    No any response from dk1. It's not tracking head position and there is no any reaction from helmet. It's just black screen in dk1.
    Demo scene from Oculus config utility is running in helmet very well.
    Oculus runtime 0.8
    Unity 5.4.1 p4
    Windows 7 x64.

17. gterveen

gterveen

I don't think they still support the old hardware! Not even sure the DK2 still is supported (though DK2 would still make a good dev tool).

Dk1 is not something that makes a lot of sense these days though, the missing translation of head movements makes it impossible to prepare for what gamers with current headsets might do in your title.

18. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Pretty much what gterveen said above. Oculus technically has dropped support for even the DK2. It still functions with Oculus home and the Unity editor, so maybe DK1 will too, but no guarantees. I don't recommend shipping an application if you haven't tested with a CV1though . I do recommend you update to the new Oculus home instead of using runtime 0.8. Native support in Unity 5.4.1p4 should error out of VR if the runtime isn't (I think) at least Oculus 1.3. Download the new Oculus home at https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
    On that note, in the Oculus Home->Settings/General there is an option to allow "Unknown Sources" through. This needs to be on when using the Unity editor. I know that works with DK2 as I've used it, but we don't have a DK1 here in the office to test with.

Finally DK1 doesn't support Head tracking. That feature was introduced with the DK2 and the Camera. So you will only get orientation tracking.

AlanMattano likes this.
  19. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi there, I setup the Rift C1 today with Touch Controllers. I was surprised to see that SteamVR made it all work including the Touch Controllers but there were issues such as the sound was missing from the headphones and it also seemed to run pretty badly in comparison to the Vive. I was curious and decided to install the Unity Oculus Utilities to see how it matched up and it felt like the performance of the Rift in editor improved.

My question is what approach should I use to support the Vive and Rift in the most effective manner. Should we try and use only SteamVR or is it best to implement different rigs for each hardware, I assume SteamVR is useless via the Oculus Store, any tips? How can I get info on what hardware is connected?

Whilst I'm here,The OVRCameraRig starts in a different spot to where it is placed in the Scene. Much lower than it should be and the offset I apply is just silly. How can make the users head always start in a particular spot?

Thanks.

20. Geeta2

Geeta2

i need help , can i use both kinect plus oculus for height phobia environment? and please tell us how can i do that ?