Search Unity

Unity 5.1 UI flickers when button pressed

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Wolfdog, Jun 10, 2015.

1. mark71

mark71

Have you tried forcing the graphics api to OpenGLES 2? (the standard setting is 'automatic')
    I had issues with my app on a Galaxy S5, and changing that setting fixed it.

2. nixius

nixius

Hello again all.

This issue still remains in the latest patched version of Unity, v5.2.2p4.

I have changed the settings to remove OpenGLES3 and only have OpenGLES2, instead of automatic and it has not made any difference.

I have fiddled with a large amount of settings to no avail.

I just don't know what else to do, I have spoken to the Unity team via the bug I submitted MONTHS ago (good description, project attached, video of issue) and they said they can't reproduce it. I suggested they buy the device I have but I didn't get a response to that.

It's maddening to think that multiple people have reproduced the same issue on different devices but same android version but they won't buy one of those devices to replicate/fix it. It also begs the question that many people out there are releasing software/games that will look utter crap because of this issue and they won't know it.

Can anyone from the Unity UI team please weigh in on the status of this bug?

3. nixius

nixius

I've been contacted about this bug, can everyone please detail which device and android version you have had this issue on? This will help them reproduce it.

Thanks in advance!

4. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

Same glitches on nexus 4 device

edit:

... turning multi threading rendering off solved it for me

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. nixius

nixius

I updated to latest version, 5.3.0f4.

I already had multi threaded rendering turned off. I turned it on to no avail, it still happened. I then turned it off again and it is still an issue for me.

I'm running android 4.2.2, which version are you running on your Nexus4 @AlimaStudios?

Could you possibly send me your Player Settings please @AlimaStudios? Perhaps it's a combination of things accompanies with/without MTR.

6. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hey friends,

Any news about this issue, I get huge performance drops because this UI Flickering :( ! Thanks !

7. nixius

nixius

Nothing yet.

What device and android version are you using D0R1N? If everyone can tell me this information I can pass it onto the unity team so they can reproduce and then hopefully fix this issue.

8. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi @nixius ,

I tested on Samsung Galaxy S3,S4 and Note 2 and I get very bad performance on them, the FPS drops to ~15-20 before 50-60 FPS, right now I want to downgrade to version 5.0, or one that works, can you recommend a version that works ? Thanks !

9. nixius

nixius

Which Android versions are you running on each device? It's fine on my own Note2 but that's not running android 4.2.2.

5.0 was the last version that worked for me.

A quick update, the Unity team have got back to me to say they are ordering a device to try and reproduce this issue. Very good of them, I hope this moves this issue forward.

10. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

[FIXED]
    Same here on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 only. I have a scroll view with buttons and when i scroll it, every ui control blink/glitch with random textures on it (Unity 5.3.1p4).

Fixed with these options:

Auto Graphics API: Off

Graphics APIs:
    OpenGLES2
    OpenGLES3

Multithreaded Rendering: Off
    Static Batching: Off
    Dynamic Batching: Off

11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey we have a fix for some UI flickering issues in this weeks patch 5.3.2p1

12. hakan7373

hakan7373

Thanks indeed...

13. Sebioff

Sebioff

Unfortunately the flickering can now be found on Windows and OS X too:
    uiglitches.gif
    It's only happening in builds, not in the Editor. Didn't happen with 5.2. Not sure about previous versions of 5.3.

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes this should be fixed in 5.3.2p1 not 5.3.2f1.
    It should be out later today http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

15. Sebioff

Sebioff

Oh! Sorry for misreading. Didn't expect a patch right after f1, but that's awesome :)

16. hakan7373

hakan7373

Hi there, I just tested 5.3.2p1 release and unfortunately saw that it has no remedy for glitch issue that I experienced.. Tweaking the build settings as StudioEvil said did not work as well. After I had this issue I downgraded to 5.0.4f1 which is the max version that has no glitch problem (I tried every other release bigger than this). After couple of glitches it shuts down the application with memory dump kind message as attached. The device is Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite - SMT110 runs on android 4.2.2. Having said that I experienced no issues with ios side at all with any unity version and it also has no issues with high level android devices.. FYI, Thanks..

Attached Files:

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug regarding the 5.3.2p1 issues and include a sample project so we can see it.

18. hakan7373

hakan7373

I did report the bug with a sample project, youtube file and this forum link attached.. fyi..thanks..

19. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

this bug persists on 5.4 beta 5 with multy rendering on , on android devices

multirendering on improve a lot the frames per second.. so it will be nice have it fixed

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I don't believe the fix has gone into 5.4 yet. We rushed it through for 5.3 but 5.4 it was batched with multiple fixes so it takes longer.

21. hakan7373

hakan7373

22. nixius

nixius

I'm not sure if this is still the same issue, but I have a bug open from many months ago:

http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?712890_ajk5fid4vf68nmf8

The last reply states that Unity have finally been able to reproduce the issue. I have tried in 5.3.3p3 but it still isn't fixed, do we know when the bug fix is scheduled to be implemented (if at all?)?

23. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This issue is fixed in 5.3.3p3 however there is a different issue with Mac that is causing flickering that we have a fix for which is on the way.

24. nixius

nixius

Thanks for the quick reply, that's Great news!

Is there a rough ETA when 5.3.3p3 will be released?

25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Later this week, thur/fri.

26. nixius

nixius

Seems to be working now in 5.3.3p3 for me.

Thanks for fixing this, it's going to make deploying software to clients a hell of a lot easier.

karl_jones likes this.
  27. panemaker

panemaker

The 5.3.3p3 didn't help me. However the new 5.3.4f1 solved all my issues. The game used to crash in the main menu on my Samsung S3 mini (Android 4.2.2). Now I don't have any problems.