Search Unity

Unity 5.1 UI flickers when button pressed

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Wolfdog, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Since I upgraded to Unity 5.1, everytime I press a button, the UI flickers. This is on android.

The same build with Unity 5.0 doesn't flicker. Now that I've upgraded my projects to 5.1, I can't go back. I'm close to a deadline and can't afford the UI to flicker everytime a button is pressed.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. benuto

benuto

I've think I have the same issue, since upgrading to 5.1 I get strange flickers when a button is pressed. Only thing I do is switch panels off and on. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

BTW my bug report got ignored. :| I understand that Unity Technologies is not required to help us since they were nice enough to offer a personal version of it, but I thought that it takes its bug reports seriously.

4. nixius

nixius

I am having this issue as well. I've had it since upgrading to 5.1, it's only on some devices (Samsung galaxy tab lite 3, android v4.2.2)

These threads may be related (I've posted in some of these too)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/inexplicable-ui-flickering-in-5-1-0f3.332756/#post-2155203
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dr...ion-of-unity-4-6-4-6-4p2.318742/#post-2140007
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/z-sorting-problems-with-nested-canvases-in-unity-5-1-0.332615/

however, none of these have helped me. I have already upgraded to latest patched version 5.1.1p2

Attached is a gif I posted in one of the threads showing the flickering. This also happens sometimes when I press InputFields too. Often after the first flicker, it won't happen again until the object is setactive(false) and then setactive(true).

If this thread gets no traction I will start a new thread with a lot of information and hopefully it won't get ignored. This is causing me a lot of headaches as I now need to build some devices with 5.1 and some with 5.0 for releases.

Attached Files:

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Is there a bug# for this?

6. nixius

nixius

I haven't submitted one yet, but perhaps Wolfdog can share the # of theirs?

If not, I can submit one and try and get a reproducible project to zip up and attach if that will help move things along?

7. nixius

nixius

I went ahead and made a test project anyway (attached). I deleted the Library folder as this made the zip too large; this should rebuild when you open the project.

This project was built with Unity 5.1.1p2 on a Windows7 machine, although I've had this bug in all 5.1.x versions I have used. The flickering occurs on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite, running Android 4.2.2. It does not seem to happen on Windows or the editor - possible it flickers too quick to see? I have already tried tweaking various settings to no avail. The flickering does not occur in 5.0.

I tried to make a gif again but the movie file was too long so here is an avi file hosted on my website:

http://nixiusworks.com/UnityBug.avi

If this does turn out to be a bug and you find an intermediary workaround I would love to know about it!

If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

Wolfdog likes this.
  8. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

That is exacly what happens to me. Because of this, I'm still with 5.0.2. :( I'm on Samsng Galaxy s3 Mini. Perhaps a Samsung problem?

9. nixius

nixius

i have a galaxy note2 and a cello budget tablet i will test on tomorrow when i am back in the office. My gut feeling is it affects a small number of tablets on certain builds.

10. nixius

nixius

It doesn't happen on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, running android 4.3. The other tablet I have has been swiped by someone else, but I'm sure I tested it with the initial version of 5.1 and there was no flickering, I will try and find out what version of Android that is running on from a colleague.

Wolfdog, what version of android are you running on your s3 mini? Do yo have a bug number that I can view and possibly add some information to? I'm thinking of the test project above etc

Edit: She got back to me quicker than I thought, Cello tablet running 4.4.2. Maybe I will try and find someone in the office with 4.2.x to see if it flickers for them as well!

11. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I'm on Android vecrion 4.2.2. I just got a reply about the bug report (1 month after submitting it) saying that the problem couldn't be reproduced. I will try to submit another one with more info (as that's what was asked of me in the reply).

12. nixius

nixius

You could point them here to my test project as it reproduces the bug.

It's no coincidence you are on the same android version number and we have the same issue! It could be an android bug?

13. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Perhaps it became outdated?

14. nixius

nixius

it's probably an anomaly with that android version. I'm honestly not sure what to do as I can't upgrade this tablet, withotu a fix I will be stick on 5.0.x.

Could you possibly send me the bug# when you submit it please?

15. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

sure, I will probably do it sometime today.

16. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I just submitted another report.
    Case 709632

17. nixius

nixius

I can't find your bug in the tracker, does it get manually added by someone after you submit it? Thanks for submitting it.

I noticed Unity 5.1.1p3 has been released as of Friday, I'm installing that now on the off chance it fixes this issue; the patch notes do not make me hopeful though!

EDIT: Still an issue in 5.1.1p3.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  18. nixius

nixius

Wolfdog, would you be able to link me to the bug somehow so I can keep an eye on it? I can't find your case in the issue tracker.

It would be nice to know somehow if this bug has or has not been officially acknowledged by the Unity UI team and be able to track any progress on it without needing to harass you for updates =)

This issue is quite a pain for me as mentioned in previous posts.

19. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Same. This is the url from the thingy: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?709632_184le49agup9nqk2
    I don't know how useful it is or if it will even show up when someone else goes there, but anyway. Let me know if the link works for you or if it ask to login or something.

20. nixius

nixius

Thanks for that, I can see the page =)

If it helps my Kernel version was 3.4.5-2751957 and baseband (build number?) JDQ39.T110XXUANI7. Perhaps adding this to the issue might help? I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Lite 3 (SM-T110) - more information can't hurt I'm sure!

21. nixius

nixius

I just tried the new patch (Unity 5.1.1p4) and this issue is still not fixed, I can still reproduce it with the test project I made.

I haven't seen an update occur on your bug Wolfdog, how long did it take last time for someone to come back to you?

22. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Replies to bug reports don't have a "usual" response time. Sometimes it's very immediate and sometimes it takes longer.

Bugs have a cascading priority based upon detail of explanation, reproducability, attached reproduction cases or examples and whether it's a Pro submission or not - and also whether it's the latest Unity version or not. Pro are slighty higher in priority but being reproduceable and having an example are the most important factors.

Also I've had submissions that were resolved in a few weeks until the next release - others are still open (and probably forgotten). In doubt post here, send an update to your case or resubmit a new report. I think Unity are really very responsive and active regarding to how large the software has become.

23. nixius

nixius

Thanks motionblur, I did assume some of what you said. In this instance, the issue is the same but I believe Wolfdog has provided more detail than before and I also now have a working reproducible project, and him an APK file. I thought I could use this information along with the previous bug report response time as a rough estimate.

As you mentioned though, this can't take into account other bug priorities on the go. I will leave it a few more days and if nothing comes back, I will do as you suggest and submit a bug report of my own which I will link back to Wolfdogs =).

24. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

25. nixius

nixius

Sadly I cant find it on there, only via the link wolfdog provided. Thanks though.

26. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

My bugs take 7 days on average, but this bug report (well, the last one) has taken over a month to get a reply.

27. nixius

nixius

28. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I see it. I hope that this issue will get resolved, as I bought the phone (a few months ago) specifically for testing purposes. If I'd have known earlier, then I would've bought a newer phone (the `s4` costed only £40 more), but now I'm short on money. I'm also buying a new laptop, so there is no way that I'll get a new phone anytime soon.

29. nixius

nixius

That sucks =/. I suppose you could try upgrading from android 4.2.2 if possible? I'm currently resisting (forcibly) upgrading my test equipment as I need a tablet with 4.2.2 to test if the issue is fixed or not at some point. Also, there's no guarantee that some clients won't want to run it on their phones which, of course, we have no control over the android version number so I need to know if its flickering.

I'm also concerned that it might be in more versions of android beyond 4.2.2.

From my perspective, my main concern is I can't give a client an APK build to install themselves anymore; I have to do it myself when I'm available and check that the build doesn't flicker and if it does I have to get the 5.0 version to install. If they are watching over my shoulder (which has happened) it looks horrendously unprofessional. We bought a batch of these tablets and it seems a good portion are running 4.2.2.

At this point any recognition that this is actually an issue would be appreciated.

Wolfdog likes this.
  30. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I see that this problem is worse for you than it is for me. I'm just a single person, and you seem like a company(?). It's also a shame that support was dropped for AR MV6 (CPU architecture) but this was quite a while back. This was the only reason that I had to buy a new(er) phone (lol). And now this new(er) phone is also becoming outdated. It's funny, because the way I see it, android 2.3.x is supported (see image) and we're having problems with an android version a whole 2 numbers above!

Attached Files:

31. nixius

nixius

Yes I can see your frustration, especially as you have specifically bought new items.

My biggest concern is that it may not be a Unity issue but an android issue however, it works for 5.0 so we can only hope it's a simple oversight somewhere.

32. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

One of my users has reported a problem with the s5 (android 5.0?). There was a line going diagonally accross the screen from corner to corner and on one side of the line everything was white. (basically half of the screen has invisible). This was made with Unity 5.0.2 and today I'm updating my app (build with Unity 5.1.1) to see if that helps. Here's a link to the app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BloodMoon.SketchyFish&hl=en_GB

At the time of writing (10:35 AM) my update is still pending, but as soon as the version number changes to 1.1, then it's the new build.

33. nixius

nixius

Looks like a fun project, I will keep an eye on it! Did you have any luck with the upgrade?

I have just tried my test project on Unity 5.1.2 patch release (released 22Jul) and it is still an issue. How frustrating, but not unexpected as the patch notes did not mention anything.

Also, no response on the bugs yet =(

34. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I didn't upgrade yet and I don't know if I will. No reply with the bug either. Looks like there is no hope.

I'm buying a new laptop (64-bit OS) this weekend, and I'm going to check out Unreal Engine 4. I'm going to check if this issue exists there. If it doesn't, well..., I might not be coming back too soon. Unity is brilliant, I like the fact that we can write pure code, whereas Unreal Engine is moving towards visual scripting, but in the end, it's about the finished product, and not how it was made.

I will still be checking if this issue is resolved. If it is, then I probably will come back (I can't tell for sure though).

35. nixius

nixius

I'm sorry to hear that Wolfdog.

I'm just giving this thread a gentle bump again, really hoping for just some kind of feedback from the Unity UI team on here or via fogbugz (http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?712890_ajk5fid4vf68nmf8).

Any kind of acknowledgement that this isn't being entirely overlooked would go a long way for me.

36. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Hi Unity. I'm just letting you know that I still exist. This issue also still exists.

nixius likes this.
  37. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I got a reply about the bug report. Here it is:

reply.png I appreciate it, but I've spent most of my money on a new PC, so I won't be buying any new android devices. Goodbye Unity - I will still recommend you to people looking for a game engine, and I will still help out in Unity Answers.

38. nixius

nixius

Yes I got this reply to my bug.

It is quite upsetting, here we have 2 devices with the same android version and the issue happens. It may not happen on the devices they are testing with but that's not really the issue.

If it happens on these two, it could happen on many others.

What am I supposed to tell my customers? Buy another android device because of a unity software bug?

39. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I believe that there is an option to have more builds of a game and force certain devices to download a specific build (in Google Play)? Eg. Android 4.2 and below will download a Unity 5.0.x build and Android 4.3 and up would download a Unity 5.1.x build.This could be a last-minute solution, however this will not work in the future, as Unity will include features which it lacks in Unity 5.0.x.

There is also the possibility to explore different game engines. GameSalad (I believe it's called), is quite popular with Android (however, it's only 2D).

40. nixius

nixius

Just a quick reminder about this.

I have just tried my reproduction project with 5.1.3p1 and the issue is still not fixed.

Please continue to look at this issue.

Wolfdog likes this.
  41. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

I'm back at Unity again. I can see this issue has gotten worse (Unity version 5.2.1). Now the screen flickers like mad, and sometimes even crashes the game. A lot of people here use the same device, and have the same issue.
    (Remainder: samsung galaxy s3 mini. Android version 4.2.2)

Unity Technologies, please try to fix this.

42. Hathakas

Hathakas

43. Hathakas

Hathakas

44. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Here is a video of my issue. I can't publish my game like this.

I wouldn't count on Unity fixing this. My solution is to download Unity 5.0.4 and build the game with that (which is what I just did now).

45. wao

wao

I was about to release my app then i encounter this bug. This alone makes UI unusable. Disappointing.

46. Hathakas

Hathakas

Man my whole game is pretty much UI, except for the background :(

Going to test unity 5 now. I update my unity just before checking the tablet where I noticed this problem.

47. Hathakas

Hathakas

Thank you so much for suggesting Unity 5.0. It totally worked!!! I had an old version installed a while back and just opened my project in there. Unity downgraded the project and when I built it. it works perfect.

48. Wolfdog

Wolfdog

Using Unity 5.0.x is however just a temporary solution. As Unity evolves, new features will be added, which we will never be able to use if we stay with this version.

49. Kwoth

Kwoth

I have the same problem on my test device with any of the games i build. My test device is Galaxy tab 3 lite. Using unity 5.2.0f3

50. wao

wao

This seems to be taken very lightly. The UI is simply unusable on some mobile devices especially samsung galaxy phones which are most common. After couple of new unity releases issue still remains. I'm stuck with old version of unity. Almost every game has to have some kind of UI so i would consider this to be a huge problem. Nobody seems to do anything about it which pisses me off. But i'm sure that they have bigger problems to take care of.