Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.1 adds android permission READ_PHONE_STATE automatically, how to remove it?

Discussion in 'Android' started by mark71, Jun 14, 2015.

1. pahe

pahe

Interestingly "android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" is only added when I'm using "Build" or "Build & Run", but it is not added when I export the project to build manually.
    Does anyone know how I can prevent Unity to add this READ_PHONE_STATE permission (removing from a template would also work for me as a workaround).

2. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Unity is not adding this permission by itself. Please check your plugins' manifests for missing targetSdkVersion attributes.

pahe likes this.
  3. pahe

pahe

Yes, I added the targetSdkVersion to all manifest files (even those in .aar files! Took a while to find that out) and now it works fine.

Yury-Habets likes this.
  4. kosted

kosted

skrpeta and Yury-Habets like this.
  5. etig

etig

how to change the manifest of war files?

6. skrpeta

skrpeta

Maksim_Narchuk likes this.
  7. howler123

howler123

Just find the Android Manifest line that has it and remove it. I did and worked great.

Yury-Habets likes this.
  8. azix

azix

Hi,

I ran into the same permission problem when using Google Play Services with Unity 2017.3.1

With an empty project and only PlayServicesResolver and a dependency to "com.google.android.gms:play-services-basement:12.0.0", the build asks for the phone state and external storage permissions.
    The Play Service library triggers theses permissions to be added to the manifest because including only the android app support libs ("com.android.support:support-v4:26.1.0") does not add these permissions.

I resolved the problem by removing the permissions from the manifest using the tools:node="remove" attribute :

<manifest ... xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools">
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" tools:node="remove"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" tools:node="remove"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" tools:node="remove"/>
    </manifest>

9. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

It is not working for me, what can I check more?

10. azix

azix

11. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

I checked, permissions keep getting added even tho i set tools remove

12. Kastar-Troy

Kastar-Troy

So this is a really crappy change in the manifest merger, cause it seems to be responding to files which have nothing to do with the manifest.

I made a blank project and copied across my plugins folder to reproduce, and it did. I then went to remove anything which could cause be affected, and it turns out it wasnt any of the actual plugins, it was /plugins/Android/res/, which was simply a collection of xml files containing localised strings, and png files.

what the actual F is this manifest merger doing?

Anyway, easy way to find out what is putting Read State into your config, is trial and error with a copied version of your project, keep deleting stuff in plugins till read state disappears. Bit of Scientific method always does the trick.

13. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The issue of permissions popping up when Assets/Plugins/Android/res is present has been fixed some time ago.

14. YuriBazila

YuriBazila

UnityChannel.aar has that permission! Why is it there?