Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Release Candidate 3 is available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

MD_Reptile, radiantboy and kopysov like this.
  2. Tomza

Tomza

Wow, now Unity seems to be a kind of religion :). I'm going to download the new RC3 to see what has changed for good.

3. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

Checked the release notes
    Still depressed by substandard physic engine features

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Downloading now, excited, I swear every time I get a new update, it's like Christmas again lol.

radiantboy and HarpSeal1 like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There will be no Physics features beyond what is available in 4 until well after 5.0 has officially launched. You do get much better speed and stability though.

This was outlined several times by Unity staff on these forums. The reason being they want stability and the existing feature set first. Additional physics will come after 5.0 at some point.

SinisterMephisto and shkar-noori like this.
  6. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

I noticed that support for new substance designer 5 features is pending. Makes sense, given that SD5 isn't out yet, but is the plan to include this in 5.0.X or is this for 5.1 or later?

7. NorthernVisionStudio

NorthernVisionStudio

Thanks for the new version, Unity Team!

I wonder if Tone mapping is supposed to be running in the Scene view by design...?

shkar-noori likes this.
  8. zRedCode

zRedCode

Cloth now works?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No idea, but wish it wouldn't since that's what game view is for.

10. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

This sucks, about half my projects that were working fine in RC1 and RC2 will not open in RC3. It is crashing on the startup phase after selecting that project. I have tried clearing the library but that doesn't seem to help. It seems specifically related to images like PSD or DDS. I have had it also crash on a PNG but have not been able to reproduce that one again. It happens after importing scrips and doing a compile on them, then it is right after that with an image file causing the crash.

Any suggestions?

radiantboy likes this.
  11. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I actually think that it should. It's much easier to navigate the scene using scene view, than drag your camera when you need to check how a specific spot on the map looks with tonemapping.

kaarme and shkar-noori like this.
  12. Gokcan

Gokcan

In deferred rendering path, wireframe scene view and most of the others are not working!!! I submited bug. I am sorry guys, but while you are solving some parts, you break other parts:)

KRGraphics likes this.
  13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

While Albedo, Specular, Smoothness and Normal views were fixed in RC3, Wireframe and Shaded Wirframe still don't work. Maybe others too, as I'm not sure how are they supposed to look.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's why I have a small utility that updates the game view to match the editor camera while it isn't running. About 5 lines of code would do it and OnDrawGizmos.

konsnos and Dantus like this.
  15. Gokcan

Gokcan

Yeah I mean it. Previously, deferred was not working. Now it works, but this time others:D

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This goes away if you disable HDR on the camera :). I use wireframe overlay often and turning off Hdr will get rid of thid effect.

17. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yeah, but why invent utilities, when you can have it by default? What's the disadvantage of having it on by default?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  18. Gokcan

Gokcan

I sometimes think that what kind of bug it can be? Disabling hdr solves problem. @KEngelstoft canyou please share
    I sometimes think what kind of bug can cause it?:D Disabling hdr solves problem! I am trying to imagine unity source code that cause this problem:D I really wonder it...

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've already reported this bug back in Beta 18

20. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

I must have not been paying attention
    If i had known this :(
    Thanks for informing me.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because Game view requires an actual camera, and a lot of projects often have many cameras. It's possible some people have 10. Which one? How can you assume these things? hence, a simple component solves the problem.

Everyone has different requirements and this is easily solvable.

22. NorthernVisionStudio

NorthernVisionStudio

I vote for Scene View not showing camera effects. And, I can confirm that wireframe and shaded wireframe don't work in Deferred. Haven't tried forward. I don't mind bugs, and I'm sure the Unity team wants to exceed the stability of Unity 4.. Lets hope for RC 10 or more before release.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it'll probably go out at RC4 personally. But you know thats what 5.xx is for after RC. Stuff doesn't suddenly end :p

24. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I vote for it to be included and use mainCamera by default. It can be toggleable, and hidden under the same menu as the skybox, fog, animated materials. I'm ok with it initially being switched off, but I do want to have it available, without the need for mumbo-jumbo scripts and components.

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But it isn't a vote, and you could have it now if you wanted.

26. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I don't want it to be removed because 2 people said they don't want it.

27. Dantus

Dantus

I don't think this thread is the right place for feature requests.

28. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

It's not a feature request. That thing is already in. I don't want it to be removed because 2 people think that it shouldn't be there.

29. Dantus

Dantus

Make it 3 then :)

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Getting a lot of "StackOverflowException" messages in this release. This is new for me!

31. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Well, I finally figured my issue out. I had used the download assistant to install this version. I uninstalled it, reused the download assistant and it was still exhibiting the error. I downloaded the full install and used it and now I can open all of my projects again. The permissions must not be getting set correctly using the download installer for some reason.

32. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The intent is that feature development should be in the minor versions (where minor is 5.x). The patches and rollups should only be fixes.

33. napalm44

napalm44

The issue that I posted about in the RC2 thread (under bug 674118) regarding System.Security.SecurityRuleset is still occurring in RC3. The error message is attached again below for reference:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Failed running /Applications/Unity5/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe -out "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed" -l none -c link -x "/Applications/Unity5/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper/native_link.xml" -f "/Applications/Unity5/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/il2cpp/LinkerDescriptors" -x "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/methods_pointedto_by_uievents.xml" -x "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Assets/link.xml" -d "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/CloudServicesClientCSharp.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/CurriculumAppAPI.Implementation.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/CurriculumAppAPI.Interfaces.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/MongoDB.Bson.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Fabric.AudioSpline.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Fabric.Core.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Fabric.LoudnessMeter.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Fabric.ModularSynth.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/JsonFx.Json.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/P31RestKit.dll" -a  "/Users/guybro1522/testgamecomplete/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Fabric.ModularSynth 1.dll"
    3. stdout:
    4. Fatal error in Mono CIL Linker
    5. Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve System.Void System.Security.SecurityRulesAttribute::.ctor(System.Security.SecurityRuleSet)
    6.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkMethod (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference reference) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkCustomAttribute (Mono.Cecil.CustomAttribute ca) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkAssembly (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.InitializeAssembly (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process (Mono.Linker.LinkContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13.   at Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process (Mono.Linker.LinkContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    14.   at Mono.Linker.Driver.Run () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    15.   at Mono.Linker.Driver.RunDriver (Mono.Linker.Driver driver) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    16. stderr:
    17. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    18. UnityEditorInternal.Runner:RunManagedProgram(String, String, String, CompilerOutputParserBase) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:66)
    19. UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:RunAssemblyLinker(IEnumerable`1, String&, String&, String, String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:192)
    20. UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:StripAssembliesTo(String, String, String&, String&, String, String, IEnumerable`1) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:185)
    21. UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:Strip(String, String, String&, String&, String, String, IEnumerable`1) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:136)
    22. UnityEditorInternal.AssemblyStripper:Strip(String[], String[], String, String, String&, String&, String, String, IEnumerable`1) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:121)
    23. UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:RunAssemblyStripper(IEnumerable, String, String[], String[], String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:431)
    24. UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:StripAssemblies(String[], String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:419)
    25. UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPBuilder:Run() (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:273)
    26. UnityEditorInternal.IL2CPPUtils:RunIl2Cpp(String, IIl2CppPlatformProvider, Action`1, RuntimeClassRegistry) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/Il2Cpp/IL2CPPUtils.cs:218)
    27. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And once again, the bug that plagued the textured wireframe when HDR is enabled, has struck again... only this time, with viewing the Global Illumination modes. The only fix is to disable the scene lighting/HDR to resume normal functionality :(

35. radiantboy

radiantboy

WOOHOO.. time to try a light bake again!

36. protopop

protopop

I'm trying to bake a terrain right now:) I'm using non-directional lightmap in my test so that it generates just one lightmap and ill start from there.

Im as frustrated as anyone not being able to lightmap. But I have to admit the realtime illumination in RC3 looks really, REALLY atmospheric on terrain. Soft shadows aren't working but the hard shadows look great so far. And ive just figured out Physically Based shading and its a great way to bring more realism to all my textures. I can see where Unity is going with these additions, and once the major bugs are squashed I think it's going to offer a lot more potential with what we can do.

I also think Unity is one of those things we are hard on because we love it so much:) Thank you Devs.

shkar-noori likes this.
  37. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

I fixed this over the weekend, fix should be available in the next RC.

shkar-noori likes this.
  38. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

The shader source code still has the following error just FYI:

`UnityEditor.ShaderUtil.GetMaterialProperties(UnityEngine.Object[])' is inaccessible due to its protection level

39. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

What is "the shader source code"? Which code? Where?

40. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

41. Roni92

Roni92

As we are getting really close to 5 release, maybe we should know when there will be working gi point/spot light shadowing?
    I mean, you know, you cant say GI is working, when it's shadowing isnt.

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I see some people having fears of upgrading from one version to latest, its risky to stick to one beta version for project and when release is done, may break all - tricky situation..

43. sluice

sluice

When in doubt.. I always tell myself: [@ 2m34]

shkar-noori, SAOTA and MrEsquire like this.
  44. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hey guys, are they any bugs or problematic issue with by using substance bitmap2material and unity5 RC3? Does anybody know it?

45. protopop

protopop

I got baking on objects to work in a semi-reasonable amount of time using non directional lightmaps (20min U4 vs 45min U5). The lightmapping has definitely improved over the last few releases. Also the lightmap atlas is way smaller than what was produced in U4 (great) , but im not sure if this is because i lowered the points per texel (which is a cool setting to have).

I'm going to try it again for the terrain and see if I can figure that out. I think it's all about getting a grip on the settings.

46. DaveHoskins

DaveHoskins

I'd also like to see the new shader code, so I can figure out how the light sources are accessed, so we can convert old shader tech into version 5. Plus finding things like accessing the Zed buffer etc.

47. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

48. radiantboy

radiantboy

Well I had my first ever bake complete!! And it happened during the night, and not over 75 decades :) Mind you I put it on the lowest res for everything. But it certainly appears to be a few thousand times faster for me so far. I'm now upping the resolutions and seeing if I can compute the scene again before playing with it more.

One question I have is: is real time GI the same as baked GI (apart from speed) ? I mean can I make everything look nice in realtime GI, then go away for the day and turn on baked GI and hit bake, and will the end result look more of less the same ? I presume I must set all my lights to "mixed" for this.

49. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Aras, does deferred support finalcolor function in the shader, it seems to ignore it no matter what I do.

50. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It doesn't because there's no logical place where to put it. It would need to happen after al lighting is computed, but the shader does not run after the lighting is computed!