Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 RC3+ (bug fix preview) is available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Greetings!

In our push to answer recent issues of RC3, we decide to offer a preview build of a number of 5.0 crash fixes and regressions we managed to address recently, but before our next build. This is more of a developer release than anything, so please pardon the lack of the release standard of installer choices, etc.

This build addresses:
    • Graphics: Fixed crash when baking lightmaps with terrains
    • Editor: Opening errors in external text editor opens them at right line on OS X from the 64 bit editor
    • Editor: Power consumption back to 4.x levels. Detecting changes to incremental baking is now done at 20 FPS instead of 250 maximum rate.
    • Editor: Fixed OpenGL context handling issue when AssetStore window has been opened.
    • Editor: Fixed an issue where MSAA+GrabPass would render incorrect or crash on OpenGL
    • Editor: Fixed scene view wireframe rendering when MSAA + HDR + Deferred is enabled.
    • Editor: Fixed crash when entering playmode while reflection probes are still baking
    • Editor: Fixed null reference exception in audio filter inspector
    • GI: Fixed a crash occurring when unloading a scene with light probes and non-default CPU usage setting.
    Please report bugs as usual: http://unity3d.com/BugReportingFAQ

There is no download assistant in this case, just the component installers provided here.

Windows:
    Unity Editor (64-bit)
    Unity Editor (32-bit)
    Web Player

OS X:
    Unity Editor
    Web Player

2. orb

orb

Don't be afraid to drop these mini-updates daily if you happen to have some potential fixes all bundled up ;)

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. HarpSeal1

HarpSeal1

Thanks Unity Team! We all appreciate your hard work!

4. Tomza

Tomza

And everyday install such a big software from the beginning? I think those Betas should be released every week - it's a good way.

5. orb

orb

It would be 100% optional to download. Untested, fixes small, specific things only some have run into etc. If you don't want 'em, don't get 'em, and let people who want 'em go get 'em ;)

p87 likes this.
  6. Tomza

Tomza

It's my general opinion only. People will do what they will want. I won't be installing Unity 5.0 RC3+. I will wait a few days. I won't reimport my big project everyday.

7. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Good initiative, but it takes forever to download.

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And glad you guys fixed that dreaded wireframe overlay thing that keeps happening...

9. orb

orb

Don't diss my wish ;)

twobob and Gokcan like this.
  10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

this might be the wrong place.
    this might be the wrong time – as it is late and i am pretty tired.
    but i will take this announcement as a chance to talk about unity’s beta policy – which i am really disappointed with.

i have to admit that i have only access to the „asset store publisher’s beta“ – not to the closed beta.
    so i do not get any information about what is going on behind the scenes:
    - i do not know what is being discussed in the closed beta.
    - i do not know what is going to change in the next beta – until it is changed.

so after following unity 5 from beta 3 to beta 17 i have stopped working on my assets as each beta simply forced me to – more or less – start from scratch. quick estimation: over the past 7 month i have wasted at least about 300 hours of work.

that might be the nature of betas and made even worse by the fact that the assets i have been working on are closely related to the core rendering and lighting pipeline.
    but i assume that most of the wasted work could have been avoided if i simply knew what was going on.

so if you invite any person or even asset store publishers to your betas give them full access to all discussions.
    and communicate more about what is going to change.

coming back to the topic: i do not need any beta+ release.
    what i need is a truly grounded foundation on what i can expect to be part of unity 5 to built my assets on top. or just a huge and blinking mark: this is going to change!!!

lars

11. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

wow, is this become a routine you guys really need to implement incemental updates system for patch. Not redownloading the whole installer again :/

12. Tomza

Tomza

Your wish is an order for me ;)

13. Tomza

Tomza

I know the pain. Remember that Unity is a VERY commercial initiative and the most important thing for Unity Technologies is how many PRO licences can be sold. It's a bad policy in the long run, but Unity bosses know better what to do. Unity has a big potential and can be a good alternative for other game engines, not only a toy for children. Alas, Unity Technologies waste this potential. What a pity! However, the biggest sin of the Unity Team is that they don't listen to people that ARE THEIR CLIENTS! When I write to the Unreal Team: "Hey guys, do something with this feature; it's horrible", their reaction is rapid. And many Unity users seem simply ignored.

I know I will be attacked by some Unity worshipers, but maybe some day when they will be more mature they will understand what I mean.

14. steego

steego

I was hoping this would fix my bug 674959, but sadly it hasn't, and this is making RC3 close to unusable for me (didn't have this problem in RC2).

15. Tomza

Tomza

Because in reality Unity 5.0 RC+ is still a Beta version, not a RC, so some things just don't work. Nothing strange. If it were a RC, you wouldn't say "unusable".

16. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Surprised as I thought RC4 is ready for beta testers, I think next week Unity 5 goes official?

17. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

RC doesn't mean bug free, it means they are not going to remove or add any major features or change any major functionality.

18. orb

orb

Beta also means no new features everywhere else. Release candidates are a Microsoft marketing thing.

19. Tomza

Tomza

Not only Microsoft, it's a common thing in Linux world too. We can also use Gama or Delta, but it doesn't matter - Unity use RC for their product. For me, a RC version is a stable enough to release - big problems have been fixed and we can use it without fear that our precious projects can be destroyed. It's just like a final product but with some corrections to do. Not big corrections. If I read all the comments, I can say that it's a Beta, let's say late Beta (if I use this English word correctly).

20. orb

orb

No, I mean the literal words "release candidate".

21. Nemox

Nemox

Hm... is this safe to use for a project now, or am I better off just waiting for the official release?

22. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

IMHO just wait for an official release, it shouldn't be far away.

23. GfK

GfK

Just use it. Unless you're planning on shipping within the next couple of weeks. I wouldn't ship anything from a beta/RC but the final release will apparently be along shortly so you'd be daft to start a new project in 4.6.

24. orb

orb

It's fine for making stuff if it doesn't fall over from doing what YOU need, but I wouldn't trust it for anything that has a deadline until UT release it fully.

25. Nemox

Nemox

My project is just kind of a sandbox to test out my systems, but it'd be a pain to have to remake the whole thing again in case something goes bad between upgrades. I suppose I'll use it anyway. xD

26. SpreadcampShay

SpreadcampShay

Heh, I feel you. At the moment I'm just waiting for the final release before I continue to work with it for assets. I've been adapting and redoing stuff since pretty much the first beta and I wish I could've cleared up some confusions during the betas that I couldn't talk about to with anyone at the time since I'm like you just in the drop group. At least we have this forum here by now, though it definitely could use a little more insight to the development process, changes and future plans I agree :)

I believe they more or less locked down everything with RC3, so you're probably safe going forward. I have still several issues with GI and Reflection Probes and about 2-3 crashes a day and I don't think that this will all be fixed until release, but my project has not broken significantly lately and it's stable and usable enough to start get the hang of it all before release. If you want to be on the safe side you should wait a few weeks after the release because I suspect they'll patch the remaining issues with weekly patches in order to push a release of 5 during the GDC, but nothing should be stopping you from learning the changes and start building up your sandbox already now.