Search Unity

Unity 5.0 broke my internet.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ducahl, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Hitch42

Hitch42

Tzan, if you could let us know if that works for you, that'd be really appreciated. I don't want to purchase new hardware just to get this to work, but Unity and all my assets are just gathering dust at the moment. If it works for you then I'll give the "UnityDongle" a try. Thanks.

2. Tzan

Tzan

Yup, should be here early next week.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

For those of you not disposed towards buying more hardware... (or waiting :D)

I had exactly the same problem (thanks, Belkin) and had to go the Wifi chip manufacturer for drivers. If you're on Windows 7 you might try uninstalling the awful drivers that are automatically matched to your device and manually installing more up-to-date generic ones. With a bit of research and/or prying the plastic shell off the dongle, you can have Unity 5 running in no time!

4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

The only thing that is consistent with my internet and Unity is that each time my internet connection is interrupted UNity also crashes on exit. This is for me the only consistent thing.

5. Tzan

Tzan

Mine has never crashed on exit.
    The one thing I did notice yesterday is that the connection is not 100% blocked.
    If I click a link 20-40 time it will eventually get the page. But then its 20-40 clicks for the next page.
    Eventually you just give up.
    Its like Unity is doing a denial of service attack on my machine.
    I can watch network traffic from Unity 10 minutes after launch, what the heck is it even doing.

6. Tzan

Tzan

I got the Unity Dongle today.
    Its not really working.

My internet will work for a minute, then be broken for several minutes.
    Half of dev work is being online reading docs, forums, stack exchange, Google, MSDN, etc
    Getting 20% access to the internet when Unity decides to give it to me sucks.

15 minutes after Unity started I'm watching my ResourceMonitor/Network panel and Unity is still periodically sending 100,000 Byte/sec............. WHY?

Personal Edition 5.1.1f1
    ( Although I did pay the $200 way back when )
    I'm certainly glad I didn't pay for 5.1

7. Tzan

Tzan

It took about 40 clicks on Post Reply to send that, not really all that different from before the UnityDongle.

8. Tzan

Tzan

My game imported into 5.1 using the Standard shader that was altered to use vertex colors.

9. Hitch42

Hitch42

Aw, that's a shame. Thanks for being willing to test this out.

I keep purchasing assets that are on sale, in the hopes that this will eventually be resolved and I'll be able to utilize them, but I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my money. Unity devs, is there any information you can share with us on this, or information that we can provide you with?

You're games looks very good , Tzan.

10. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

Sorry it didn't work out for you Tzan, That really sucks, it's still working fine for me... I'm curious. What OS are you using? And are you currently using the drivers that came with the disk, or did you updated to the latest drivers from manufacturer website. I have a VirtualMachine that I might be able to experiment with...

11. Tzan

Tzan

Win 7 64bit
    I updated the network adapter that is on my mother board to a driver dated 1/15.
    For the USB adapter I used the disk, the disk had a 2014 date, driver version v0613.
    I'll look for newer tomorrow.

12. Tzan

Tzan

The J5create site just has the same version driver.

13. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

Tzan, I had an issue once where the drivers of my motherboard network adapter were freezing my computer, even if I didn't have a network cable plugged into it. My fix was to completely uninstall the drivers of my motherboard network adapter. That's how i currently have it set up now. I only have the J5Create adapters installed (which shows up as Asix in Device Manager btw) Since you're not using it, maybe you could try uninstalling the drivers for you motherboard network adapter?

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yesterday I faced a ethernet problem after installing Unity 5.1 on a clean Windows 10 Preview Edition. The issue I was having was "Network cable disconnected" although it was plugged and worked flawlessly minutes ago. I changed cable with another which was working on other PC and it read the same "Network cable disconnected".

I stumped on a forum and followed some weird advice and it worked! My Internet connection was back again!

The steps were:

1- Shutdown PC and router.
    2- Unplug power cable from PC and router.
    3- Wait for 30 minutes.
    4- Reconnect and boot.
    5- Voilà! Back to normality!

15. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I may give this a try over night. Not that I have any hopes without a re-install any more but ... why not

16. Tzan

Tzan

I disconnected last night, started up today, it didnt work.

What it did do was break my Cyberpower battery back up, so now it wont work and I need to buy a new one.
    I turned it back on this morning and it failed.
    It was 5 years old anyway so just a coincidence I suspect.

I guess Rene gave up on us :)

17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Well ... he stated that they don't know where it is coming from and without a definitive pattern when it happens exactly it's difficult to pinpoint. So unless someone realizes a reliable pattern it's probably only going to get fixed by pure chance.

18. Tzan

Tzan

I expect there is one good fix.
    Purchase the UnityComputer.
    "The UnityComputer will probably not disconnect your internet and promotes hair growth."
    ( Buy a new computer )

I would still like an answer as to why it wont work when Unity is in Offline Mode and Why Unity is transferring data all the time while its on, in Personal Edition.

19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

So. Just to update here: For me it is happening pretty predictable that Unity shows problems when unplugging an USB device like XBox Controller or plugging in my Wacom tablet.
    Unity freezes for a few seconds (10 - 20 sec.) and then either recovers or stays unresponsive. Either way this crashes my internet connection pretty much every time.

Anyone else here can confirm a similar behaviour?

20. Tzan

Tzan

Nope, but I never connect/disconnect usb items.

21. Vincent-Schneider

Vincent-Schneider

I had the same issue... Until I recently discovered that my internet DID work with Unity open !
    Lately I've been doing some tidying up on my computer and deactivated a few services and boot elements from msconfig... like Adobe managers, Akamai NetSession, QuickTime/iTunes/Apple, Google Update etc.

Try it just in case if you have the problem...

Tzan likes this.
  22. Tzan

Tzan

Thanks for the tip.

I just spent the last couple hours poking around and I found that:
    Apple Mobile Device is to blame.
    So if you dont need that service, disable it.

Click START button
    Type in Services, you will see the word Services with a gears icon
    Click Services, this brings up a panel
    Find the Apple Mobile Device service
    Right click it > Properties
    Startup type: select Manual or Disabled to stop it from Automatically starting when you start the computer

You could just hit the Stop button and leave it set to Automatic startup, for a temporary fix, or just to test that it fixes the problem for you. You need to give it a minute or so, when switching Start/Stop to see results in internet connectivity.

I actually sent this with 5.1.1 running and just Apple Mobile Device turned off.

Information about Apple Mobile Device:
    http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Apple-Mobile-Device-Support-5058-program.aspx

Thanks Vincent!

mamasio and brobertson like this.
  23. Vincent-Schneider

Vincent-Schneider

You're welcome !
    Glad to hear it, hope it was the same thing going on with the others !

Let us hear of your feedback on the issue...

24. Tzan

Tzan

I found the folder that holds all those Apple Mobile Device files and they are all dated 2010.
    So its probably an issue with Unity trying to use out of date files.
    I suppose another solution is to install a new iTunes and see if that updates those files.

Files located here on my machine:
    Program Files (x86) / Common Files / Apple / Mobile Device Support

25. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I also have an issue which may be related to this. Since installing the newest version of unity on windows, everytime the Windows 8.1 save or load dialog opens, there is a PC hangup of about 5 seconds before windows shows the dialog. When it happens, the windows defender is busy reading from the disk. I do not know if this is related or not, but it started happening after installing unity 5.1. I suspect it has something to do with connected network drives.

26. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

@Tzan
    Interesting find. Unity won't be using any of this directly. Apple Mobile Devices is either injecting DLLs into processes or uses COM infrastructure or otherwise hooks into system facilities to affect Unity operation here.

27. Tzan

Tzan

Hmm.
    Weird that my old 2010 files worked fine with 4.6, but shut down the internet on 5.0 if Unity is not directly accessing them.

Not sure if this is relevant, from the description of Apple Mobile Devices

Well thanks for taking a look.
    I suppose most people have this file updated so it didn't cause problems with everyone.

28. Hitch42

Hitch42

For what it's worth, I don't have any Apple software on my computer. So something is happening outside of that particular situation.

29. Tzan

Tzan

Your problem did seem different from mine. Also Motionblur's.

30. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

Reporting in, internet drops out and Unity locks up. Using a USB Wifi stick.

When the issue is bad the internet drops about every 10 minutes and Unity locks up through out the down time of around 5-10 seconds. The internet on my second device also drops out, sometimes having to manually reconnect to the wireless network. As soon as the connection resumes Unity ceases to lock up.

Unity is running on a desktop with Windows 8.1, and a Netgear WG111v3 wifi Adaptor with the latest drivers.

The second device that drops out is a MacBook Air with OS X.

EDIT:
    Still having this issue in Unity 5.2.0f3

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  31. cheesejunkie

cheesejunkie

There's no good permanent solution for this other an Unity patching the issue. The problem is Unity opens too many TCP connections to try to connect to your mobile device (doesn't matter if the device is on or whether or not Unity Remote is running). After it opens too many connections, there aren't enough for your browser. To see this, when the problem occurs, open up Resource Monitor (a Windows component) and browse to the Network > TCP Connections. Close Unity and within a few seconds your browser will work.

Basically, if you need to use Unity remote or a mobile device, deal with the hassle of restarting Unity. If you do not need to use the device, UNPLUG IT!

32. Tzan

Tzan

You should send a PM to Rene.

33. meat5000

meat5000

Wifi eh? Are you using 5GHz wifi and have FIPS enabled? I read a small article lately which said that enabling FIPS forces .NET to only use approved algorithms which could greatly affect multiple programs. It may not be related; I'm just investigating a crazy idea.

34. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

Oh, I didn't even noticed it was only happening when my device was plugged in. Thanks! That will save some frustration.

EDIT: The issue still appears without having a device plugged.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  35. cheesejunkie

cheesejunkie

EDIT: The issue still appears without having a device plugged.

Really? Doesn't happen to me... try going to Edit > Project Settings > Editor and setting Unity Remote to None when not needed.

36. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

Unity Remote is set to 'none' and it is still happening for me. ):

37. Clintonsanto

Clintonsanto

THANKS A LOT!

THIS WORKS LIKE CHARM FOR MY ISSUE THAT BEEN HAUNTING ME FOR A MONTH!

which is U5 disabling my internet connections and i couldn't access asset store inside unity

38. Tzan

Tzan

Glad to hear that worked for someone else.

39. WorpeX

WorpeX

Chiming in cause I appear to have this issue as well, although it doesn't happen in all my projects. Issue didn't start until I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. Since then I started a new project and in that project I have this exact issue. Internet wont work with unity open and unity crashes on exit.

However, I loaded one of my older projects just now and it works fine so far. Internet is working properly with this project open. Unsure if its an issue with an asset that was added to my other project or maybe because the new project is 3D and the old one is 2D.

After I noticed the issue I upgraded unity all the way up to 5.2.2 and that did not resolve the issue.

Edit: For the record, I dont use apple products so the Apple Mobile Device service is not even on my computer.

40. mamasio

mamasio

Thanks, worked perfectly...

41. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

*bump*
    Since I've been opening Unity at home again and had completely forgotten about the issue - it's still here.
    Using Unity 5.6.0b10 - still can't be pinned down on a certain cause.
    What the hell is going on? At the moment I can't have two Unity instances open at the same time. When I reset my WLAN by unplugging/replugging my Wi-Fi USB Stick the connection is back and usually starting one instance of Unity works. A second instance kills the connection again. It does not always happen but it's always opening Unity that kills the connection.
    It also clogs the connection to an extend that Chrome freezes up until I either kill Chrome execution or exit Unity and unplug/replug my USB Wi-Fi stick again.

I uninstalled Apple Mobile device - didn't do anything. I am really getting frustrated, here. :(

42. Adil_Alhilali

Adil_Alhilali

I know its been some time now but this issue reappeared on my computer a few days ago with UInity 2019.3
    very strange indeed.
    my symptoms are that before I start unity everything runs just fine (Other devices connected to the WIFI are working ok)
    once I start Unity on my laptop (Connected via WIFI), the whole thing becomes unusable and very low bandwidth when the contention is present.
    I restarted everything but kept unity running, didn't help
    I restarted everything and didn't start Unity everything is working ok.
    I removed the Android device from the Unity Editor that didn't have any effect on this issue.

43. Khashaneh

Khashaneh

After months of frustration dealing with this issue on my gaming laptop, i found that unity editor is taking a network priority boost (in Lenovo Nerve Center -> network priority) when it starts. I turned the network priority option off and everything went back to normal thankfully.. now i can work and listen to music at the same time xD

44. Tzan

Tzan

What version of Unity is that in Khashaneh?

45. Adam_Benko

Adam_Benko

Using URP 2020.1.17f1 and I have EXACTLY the same issue as the OP. This affects the entire network and all devices connected to it. Got win 10, x570 motherboard, PC is quite new. Not even complete windows reinstall helped.....
    This is so frustrating, since people living in my house are complaining all the time that the internet is unusable. I dont develop for android or ios.
    Any help with this one ?

VadimKrakhmal likes this.
  46. VadimKrakhmal

VadimKrakhmal

Same here. Internet crashes exactly when Unity Hub is starting and restores after closing project\hub.
    Chrome, Skype, Telegram - everything dies almost completely.

Happens in both 2019.3.15 and 2020.1.2.