Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 beta 18 available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 22, 2014.

1. OP_toss

OP_toss

Any chance we could get a changelog for the beta versions? Or can someone provide me a link to one if it already exists?

Looking forward to trying out b18! Thanks!

2. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

3. OP_toss

OP_toss

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

+1 for correct answer!

We're getting back into the swing of things now.

chelnok, Roni92 and KRGraphics like this.
  5. MSFX

MSFX

I get a "System Error Can't start because msvcr100.dll missing from your PC" error when I try and run 5 after installing :/ should it not install all of this stuff for me?
    Bootcamped RMBP2014...

6. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

Thank you, Dustin, the direct links in this initial post worked perfectly. I was blinded by having a shiny assistant and did not see them.

7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

No problem. :) The download assistant is great because it only pulls what you need and pulls it in one go but it's still relatively new and some folks do have issues with it. The Unity team does a good job of posting the full package links when they post new versions so I always just use those.

8. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

That could be the problem. I always rename the Unity app folder once it is installed (on Mac) so I can keep multiple versions around as necessary to support older projects -- for instance renaming it to Unity 5.0.0.b17. Perhaps the Download Assistant is getting confused because the program is not where it expects to be.

9. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

I do the same thing and haven't experienced download issues. Renaming the folder and having the Download Assistant know where that is would be great, and very possible on Mac OS X using Spotlight for example. I doubt it does that though, at which point renaming the folder would make the file-system look like there is no installed Unity which is a simple scenario to support.

10. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

No, I do this too, and I haven't had any problems.

11. PeterB

PeterB

Does anyone know whether the current beta includes the full 4.6.1 UI functionality yet?

12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Not positive but I think pretty much everything that's in 4.6.x is in the 5b series. This may not always include hotfixed items but I dunno.

13. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Surprise surprise, it's more unstable than the last build. Every day I kick myself for spending so much money on Unity 5 when I could have invested in UE4 instead. Anyone else feel my pain?

p87 likes this.
  14. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Not really. I bought Unity 4.0 and only payed to upgrade.

Besides... I'm not into paying a royalty.

Complaining about a beta being unstable is like complaining about rain being wet.

15. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

cant get v18 to work with my project i'll wait for the next version i think, maybe try a package export, import and see what happens over the weekend

16. SteveJ

SteveJ

The BETA software is unstable?! NO!

jomeier and shkar-noori like this.
  17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Will the mixed mode with lights be fixed in the next beta...? Kinda cool that I can bake down my shadows, but not cool that my character is excluded in the GI :(

18. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Light probes will get you part of the way, but it'll be nice when Mixed mode allows for a blend of baked and realtime shadows ala Unity 4's dual lightmapping.

KRGraphics likes this.
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I should elaborate, the characters don't cast shadows.

20. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We haven't addressed that in the installers as of yet, but we do know about it.

21. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

No, 5.0b18 has not caught up with the latest 4.6 patch release. We're aiming to get the last merge in from that, but we're still catching up from the holidays.

PeterB likes this.
  22. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta 19 not with us for the weekend?
    I assume next week Thursday or this is not tied in with the Normal Patch Releases?

24. Onsterion

Onsterion

We have reported too many bugs in this weeks and is too much work for release the b19 yet.

25. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Not worried about this, more worried about 4.6.1 patch releases that are buggy therefore 4.6.2 could well also be..

26. p87

p87

b19 is released on the closed beta group, i assume its probably coming monday.

27. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Just an fyi, you're really not supposed to share info about the closed beta group unless they explicitly give the ok which they did during am earlier release of unity 5 so its probably fine but just be careful :).

28. p87

p87

Yeah kind of a gray area. I let people know it's coming soon because I think people deserve to know. Unity has been very distanced from the forums and testers throughout the beta. It makes it kind of hard to test properly when you have no idea what works, what doesn't work, no idea what's goign on, and unity is barely involved with the community. I've already had my fun with the beta and I'm back on a stable version, so I'm not super concerned about it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  29. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

Has anyone experienced nullReference exception on networkView serialization of any variable? (b16-18).

30. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Our web page update is separate and didn't make it for Friday. I mentioned before that we may have ~1 day delay between releasing from the engineering side vs. updating on the web pages. So, while we have often got both done on Friday, b19 didn't make that this time.

31. elbows

elbows

I dont quite recognise that description - they've been fairly active on the forums, indeed very active at times. It understandably went quiet over Christmas but things seem to be ramping up again now.

Thats not to say everything is perfect, more communication is always good, but for me they've certainly upped their game in the last year.

MrEsquire likes this.