Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 beta 18 available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 22, 2014.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Paulohmm likes this.
  2. DuoPegla

DuoPegla

Is it possible you posted the link to beta 17 instead of 18 in the individual components? I just installed it and about sections says "Version 5.0.0b17".

3. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Sorry about that, give me a minute to fix this.

DuoPegla likes this.
  4. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Correct links are in, thanks for the heads up @joshko

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sweet... this version of Unity is shaping up. :)

HarpSeal1 likes this.
  6. DuoPegla

DuoPegla

No problem. Thanks ;)

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am getting this error now in my current scene... don't know why I am getting this :(. I updated my probes by creating a new one. Also the probes keep appearing in random places when I deselect the empty object with the probes in it.

'Tetrahedralize Probes' job failed with error code: 3 ('Failed writing Probe Set Positions file.').

8. Tomza

Tomza

I'm just curious... Are you going to create something for making better terrains in Unity? Does Unity 5.0 support the Terrain Toolkit script? I think we need something good for creating awesome terrains in Unity 3D.

When I create a terrain, it's pink!

EDIT: Of course Pixel Errors! I experiment with an old Terrain Toolkit script and... works!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  9. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Thanks Unity!

10. HarpSeal1

HarpSeal1

Nice work Unity team! I've been working with it for several hours today and haven't had a whole lot of trouble. I hope you guys actually get a break over the holidays.

11. Onsterion

Onsterion

Clothes Still broken :(

12. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Light map baking my specific scene on Mac OS X works now, at least for me, w/ b18.

13. Image3d

Image3d

Nice Work !

14. larskroll

larskroll

did you guys do something crazy with performance ? I had a scene that used to render at about 65 fps, that now renders at 100 fps. And I don't think I did anything to make that happen.
    Only glitch so far was a cloth mesh that broke. good job ! I like beta 18

15. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Downloading it right now. The release notes look promising. Unity 5 is starting to have less bugs day by day! Good job unity team.

Phelioz likes this.
  16. Zomby138

Zomby138

I'm guessing that this is the last one till the new year.

17. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

After a bit of time playing around with B18, I'm a bit dissapointed. Yes, a lot of minor bugs have been fixed that I've noted (Particle playback in editor, tiling on Standard shader working, etc). But cloth is still not working from what I've tried and others have tried, and the big big issue of lightmaps simply not baking at a decent speed (if it bakes at all which 9/10 times it doesn't).

We understand this stuff is complicated and takes time, but that should be very high priority and hopefully some fixes are sent out by B19.

18. Onsterion

Onsterion

I trust in Unity Team and i hope in the version b19 the clothes get fixed.

19. Nanity

Nanity

Is there an online scripting reference available? In particiluar I'm interested in wether CharacterController.setUpDirection() from Physix 3.3 is working already.

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm having a ball with beta 18 and I am liking the controls for the reflection probes. Do you think we can have it so the intensity can go past one? I like having extra exposures in my reflections, you can limit it to a max of 3. I have a photography background so I'm looking for that kind of control over the exposure.

For a technical question, is Unity capturing under and overexposed snapshots of the scenes before putting it into an HDR cube map? That would be an ideal way of getting HDRs

21. KhaledM

KhaledM

does unity 5 work with Unity Remote 4?

22. wind_runner

wind_runner

I dragged and dropped third person controller prefab on scene, and couldn't control it by W+S+D+A keys. Should I adjust Input keys in this version?

23. wind_runner

wind_runner

Something wrong with keyboard control.

24. metalkat

metalkat

NSIS error? Corrupted download (?) I just downloaded both the installer and the assistant and I get the error in both o.o

1.34 GB (1,441,259,520 bytes)
    MD5 520b73ba9991f396a1060fb326f344f1

25. p87

p87

ive had a lot of issues with beta 18 as well. something is messed up with unityvs and unity. I'm still trying to put a bug report together for Unityvs, but its hard to explain other than it doesn't work correctly and is very touchy..

substance materials cause a never ending error loop in the editor. reported that as a bug. Substance issues are getting really old, QA should just test one scene full of substance materials before every build... it's a great technology but unity is always breaking it in the beta builds.

The main reason I cannot use beta 18 is some simple code is not behaving the same between beta 17 and beta 18. I am using photon PUN and when the client connects to the game, it disables the scene view camera, and enables the player camera. In beta 18 for whatever reason I can't disable the scene camera, i set camera.enabled to false, but it just stays enabled. it worked fine in beta 17.

26. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

I can't get the Download Assistant for v5.0.0.b18 to actually download anything. It just sits there with the spinner going for hours on end. Anyone else having this problem? On a Mac.

27. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

When is Unity 5 going to be released publically (the final version?)

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

When it's done.

--Eric

Callski, carking1996 and KhaledM like this.
  29. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

Would you think that it would be done, by, maybe, July 2015?

30. mradfo21

mradfo21

so... im on OSX and had been working with beta 16. i just downloaded beta 18 and am unable to open my old project. however i can open projects made with beta 14.

how can i submit a bug report for a project i cannot open?

31. mradfo21

mradfo21

also. can i get access to beta 16 so i can keep working?

32. p87

p87

if the progress of the beta is any indication, I'd say it's probably going to be several months. Even then, I have a feeling the initial 5.0 is going to be kind of half baked - no linear color space on mobile, dynamic enlighten api won't be implemented, speedtrees are missing features (top down billboard, etc), no PBR terrain shader, etc. Seems like a significant portion of the 5.x release cycle is going to involve fully implementing the new features of unity 5.

Really need linear color space on mobile.

I'm hoping to see the phase 1 of the new 'uNET' unity networking system at some point in 5.x. After seeing some of the videos and blog posts for the uNET system, it'd be great to see that make it in there. But i'm doing okay with photon PUN.

Also, hope terrain system improvements make it into 5.x at some point. Terrain system needs a revamp desperately, it's horrible.

greenLantern101 likes this.
  33. mradfo21

mradfo21

actually this is starting to really really concern me. I can open every project i've ever made (and angry bots), except the main project i'm working on. the Unity Icon opens for a second and then crashes before ever showing the editor... F***..

34. mradfo21

mradfo21

ok problem solved. Deleted my /Library folder

35. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

I guess from all these Unity 5 problems I keep hearing ppl complain about I'll just stick with 4.6.1. Got it yesterday, and at least it's stable. Still only thing missing is 64-bit editor. :(

Tomza likes this.
  36. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I wouldn't necessarily consider them "problems" or even "complaining". It's a beta, it's not supposed to be perfect.

d12frosted and greenLantern101 like this.
  37. greenLantern101

greenLantern101

I didn't mean that in a negative way, it was just a reference to the beta status.

38. Archania

Archania

It is working just fine for what I'm doing. Given it is beta but still.

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Same here... I have been able to get excellent quality with Unity 5, especially with the Reflection Probes and Enlighten which right now is leagues past Beast. Give it time.

40. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

This should be fixed in the next beta.

41. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sweet. And speaking of light probes... I think we need something like a Light Probe volume... such as, create an empty gameobject and allow the user to create an array of probes within that volume... that will save us from placing them by hand...

42. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, it's working fine, but it's still much work to do.

That's right - 64-bit Editor! I would never use a Beta, if there's the 64-bit Editor for Unity 4.6.

The Terrain System MUST be changed.

43. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

I agree, that makes a lot of sense. Automatic light probe placement is out of the scope for 5.0 though, but something we would like to do later in the 5.x cycle. Right now we are focusing on stabilizing the current feature set and fixing bugs.

seattlebluesky and KRGraphics like this.
  44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm cool with that... I can manage for now for smaller scenes for placing them. But yes, for larger scenes, automatic probes should come later in the cycle.

45. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

FWIW, and this approach is not ideal, but I've found initially creating a row of light probes, and then copying and pasting them across the scene works reasonably. I then go back and delete ones that are superfluous/redundant. I suppose an Editor plugin could be written to semi-automatically do this given the notion of scene bounds and light positions but there'd always be a need for some human intervention I think.

KRGraphics likes this.
  46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Any news on when Beta 19 be released?

47. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Beta 17 and 18 came pretty close together. They seems to be iterating pretty quickly but don't expect that to always be the case. They have to have time to process the feedback and bug reports from a beta as they work into the next one and determine the scope of work for each Beta.

48. Archania

Archania

Plus had to deal with the holidays.

carking1996 and Dustin-Horne like this.
  49. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

Still can't get the Download Assistant to download anything on Mac. So, no one else is having this problem?

50. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Seems like a few have had issues. Just use the direct links.