Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 beta 17 available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

shkar-noori likes this.
  2. Archania

Archania

Does this include the fix for the windows licensing? So no more doing the cmd line?

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Nice change-log, hope Android fixes make it to the next release if needed. (4.6.1 issues and 4.6.1p1 fixes)

4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Yes.

5. Gokcan

Gokcan

Not in the changelogs, fixed stadard shader tiling problem?

Tomza likes this.
  6. Sebastian Ahlman

Sebastian Ahlman

We are doing custom inspectors for arbitrary file types with the following base class:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [CustomEditor(typeof(Object), true)]
    2. public class CustomObjectEditor : Editor
    3. {
    4.     public void OnEnable()
    5.     {
    6.         m_inspector = null;
    7.         string assetPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(target);
    9.         if(assetPath.EndsWith(".gameconfig"))
    10.         {
    11.             m_inspector = new GameConfigInspector(target);
    12.         }
    13.         else if (assetPath.EndsWith(".tileset"))
    14.         {
    15.             m_inspector = new TilesetInspector(target);
    16.         }
    18.         if(m_inspector != null)
    19.         {
    20.             m_inspector.OnEnable();
    21.         }
    22.     }
    24.     public void OnDestroy()
    25.     {
    26.         if (m_inspector != null)
    27.         {
    28.             m_inspector.OnDestroy();
    29.         }
    30.     }
    32.     public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    33.     {
    34.         if(m_inspector != null)
    35.             m_inspector.OnInspectorGUI();
    36.         else
    37.             base.OnInspectorGUI();
    38.     }
    40.     private ObjectInspector m_inspector;
    41. }
    In Beta 13 an earlier this was working fine, but in Beta 15 and later the OnInspectorGUI() method is no longer called, giving us totally empty inspectors. The OnEnable method is still called, though. The bug still occurs in Beta 17.

7. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

And I have to recompile everything

MrEsquire likes this.
  8. Dantus

Dantus

Please Unity, make the beta version stable. We don't want changes in beta versions! [/sarcasm]

9. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Well there is something called API auto updater which should update those changes, or atleast a simple note telling us that those attributes changed, because I spent a lot of time figuring out what was causing unity to crash, anyways a beta is a beta and it's buggy, so I was expecting changes.

10. Dantus

Dantus

It sounds completely different if you state that the api auto updater didn't get them. This means it is a bug.

shkar-noori likes this.
  11. Gokcan

Gokcan

Has someone bug reported standart shader tiling problem? Because it still exists....

12. Tomza

Tomza

Changes are good if they make Unity more professional. I can accept even recompilation of everything (two days for my Unity Project!). However, if changes are made only for changes make no sense. I am glad that Unity 3D is becoming more mature. The 64 bit Editor and better support for multithreading saved my commercial project and I know what I paid for. I hope Unity Technologies will develop their software in a professional direction.

13. Dantus

Dantus

14. Tomza

Tomza

They don't work so fast. They are busy. I bug reported a problem with Mecanim a few Betas ago and just now, in Beta 17, I see it was fixed. I am really glad.

15. Dantus

Dantus

Did they make changes just for the sake of changing something?

Was the development not professional so far?

Devil_Inside likes this.
  16. Tomza

Tomza

It's my private opinion but I think Unity Technologies is concentrated on attracting as many people as possible, especially young and unexperienced. It's a perfect tool for such users who have no programming experience. You can download, install and just play. This software is really user-friendly. It's good because when I opened Blender for the first time, looked at the interface and closed, and then forgot. Great, but I'd like to see the possibility to write in C++, for example, and many other features. But Unity 5.0 changed a lot.

EDIT: Three points are important for me:
    1/ More informative log system - I don't want waste time
    2/ Namespaces in the Asset Folder - when you install many packages, there are script conflict. I'm forced to modify some scripts and I hope the authors of them won't take offense :)
    3/ C++ - should be faster and consume less memory

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  17. Gokcan

Gokcan

I kinda agree with Tomza. Every body should accept that unity was not for AAA titles untill unity 5. It was easy to use, user friendly, fast , supports many platform,etc. All these were perfect. However, we(at least I) were really dissapointed at graphics features. But they made a great job in unity5 and I think it is now really good and let us access AAA qualities.

Tomza likes this.
  18. Dantus

Dantus

No matter whether anyone agrees or not, those kinds of comments are just off-topic and not useful for anyone. Everyone is open to create a topic in the discussion section to talk about.

Roni92 and MrEsquire like this.
  19. Tomza

Tomza

Relax, Dantus. I'm installing the new Beta and we will see what the guys from Unity Technologies prepared for us.

By the way, as a author of software you should know that every feedback is precious.

So far, good job, Unity Team! I work on my project with Unity 5.0 Beta and don't regret that I am not using Unity 4.6. Graphics is amazing, Gokcan.

20. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Huger number of errors when I opened the project I had been working on in 16 in 17...

But everything still works.

It's just that first time opening

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm... ++ on the c++ comment. From the brief investigation i have made so far getting c++ libs into unity seems pretty tedious. If i am just missing the obvious then would love to hear about it.

22. Tomza

Tomza

It would be good just open Notepad++ and write a script in C++. But I know it's my dreams only. But at least Unity 5.0 is faster than 4.x on my computer.

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I love the new mesh features that define shadows only... I have been using shadow proxies for a while now but I am glad this is a reality... I wonder about integration with modo, such as how would I decide what object is a shadow only object... maybe Light post.fbx as a main object and Lightpost_shadow.fbx for the shadow only objects.

shkar-noori likes this.
  24. Tapgames

Tapgames

After downloading Beta 17 I cannot open my Bata 16 project. When I choose to open a Beta 16 project with "Unity3D Beta 17" nothing happens no errors no Unity3D in the taskmanager. When I start "Unity Beta 17" and choose to make a new project it will start all fine. Now I tried to open the Beta 16 project from the Unity editor but same thing Unity is closing but will not open the Beta 16 project no errors. Installed Unity Beta 16 again and all is working fine.

Windows 8.1 64Bit

Cheers!

25. Zomby138

Zomby138

I've got the same problem as Tapgames :\

26. Gokcan

Gokcan

I have also same problem Tapgames. Restart the unity and open the same project. This time unity opens my project.

27. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i haven't really had many problems with the betas, been pretty solid on my end. going to download 17 over the weekend and give it a go

28. jdi_knght

jdi_knght

Same thing here, but on OS X Mav. My project is too large to send, but I sent in the editor log, so hopefully it's enough for them to figure out what exactly went bananas. In the meantime, I guess I'm waiting for b18!

29. TwiiK

TwiiK

I decided I wanted to try Unity 5 and I downloaded both the newest version and the supposedly tested version. Neither of them started for me. Is there some hoops I have to jump through for the betas to work? :p I've never had problems with Unity betas before.

Beta 14 seemed to crash right away while the latest one let me enter my serial, but then it just quits.

30. Steamroller

Steamroller

Same thing here.

31. zRedCode

zRedCode

But also more complicated to learn, i learned C# basics in only 1 day (i know a lot of languages), im studying C++ from a week and still i don't know the basics. Is a powerful language, but also a complex language. I prefer C#, is more intuitive, also, Unity does not interpret the C # in C ++ before compiling?

shkar-noori likes this.
  32. elbows

elbows

Same problem here with beta 16 project causing beta 17 not to load. I'll be messing around with the project files today to see if I can find a solution.

33. Zomby138

Zomby138

Has anyone NOT had the project loading problem?

34. Image3d

Image3d

Same problem here. Beta 17 does not open Beta 16 projects....

Mac OSX Yosemite.

35. elbows

elbows

OK, for me deleting the Library folder inside my project was enough to get the scene to load in beta 17 :)

36. Zomby138

Zomby138

Alright, that fixed it for me too. Although I didn't delete the Library like some kind of savage, I just renamed it.

37. elbows

elbows

My savagery was tamed by having backed up the entire project folder before I started messing ;)

Zomby138 likes this.
  38. Capn_Andy

Capn_Andy

Wiping the library folder worked for me too.

39. jdi_knght

jdi_knght

Thanks!

I just tried the upgrade again. Instead of dropping the whole Library folder, deleting the .../Library/ScriptAssemblies/ folder seemed to be enough to do it for me (those seemed to be what were throwing the issues in the editor log anyway).

It did throw a couple warnings upon restart about a couple of the UI assemblies not using relative paths, but seems to be working so far, regardless. Thanks again!

40. Roni92

Roni92

Still nothing interesting in changelog

Me. Zero problems.

MrEsquire likes this.
  41. koblavi

koblavi

Well yes and no. That's currently happening for only WebGL Builds (C# -> IL -> C++ -> javascript) and will soon be rolled out for iOS early next year. Other platforms will follow in the 5.x cycle. The Web player will not benefit from this tech. Read more here : http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/20/the-future-of-scripting-in-unity/
    and here:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/11/20/apple-ios-64-bit-support-in-unity/

Dantus likes this.
  42. Image3d

Image3d

This is weird.

Creating a empty project and placing a Terrain in the Scene, when building the project Unity 5 B17 freezes. It seems it entered into a loop, showing the message :

Building level 0: Teste(2/11 Layout Systems )...

Opened a bug report...

43. p87

p87

GI hasn't really worked on the terrain for the entire beta. It'll work on a terrain that's like 500x500 but not on the default 2000x2000 terrain. Not sure if it's implemented or not yet.

Even if you do manage to get it to bake on a huge terrain, as soon as you move something else thats static it'll try to rebake the whole scene and most likely stall.

This is why I wish unity would keep the beta documentation updated, particularly the "Known Issues" under Global Illumination Quickstart, so we don't sit here all day wasting time trying to do things that aren't working yet. That documentation page hasn't been updated since like beta 8 or 9.

44. Image3d

Image3d

Loading the Sample Assets scene and placing a Terrain in one of the Scenes, then build works...
    In my case a placed a Terrain in the AricraftJet2Axis scene, build it and works ok on iOS.
    Unity should take a look at this, since this is basic staff.
    By the way the Terrain is only 500x500.

45. AhrenM

AhrenM

Just to buck the trend.... I blew 3 days trying to get my b9 project working in b16.
    After endless crash on load problem I'd reverted to re-building/importing the assets into a new project, but GI seemed to have real difficulties baking the terrain files.

b17 loaded the b9 project first time and baked without issue.

Woot!

46. Tomza

Tomza

I installed Unity Beta 17. When I run the software, the unity project was opened without problems. But I couldn't go into Play Mode. As usual, I thought I'm forced to rebuild the Unity Project. I rebuilt and... it didn't help! I looked at the Editor Log.
    I don't know what happened, but I found the faulty asset in the log! Then, I found the asset in my project and tried to reimport - it didn't fix the problem. It couldn't be done. So I deleted the asset and... the problem disappeared! I can go into Play Mode. What's more, going into Play Mode is fast like hell!

Unity Technologies, did you improve the log system? THANK YOU!

If I couldn't find the faulty asset in my Unity Project, I would not know what happening with my Unity installation. Why can't I go into Play Mode? I rebuilt the project! What's happening? Again, I would be wasting time seeking the reason. I just read the log and found that the asset wasn't working. There was a bad dll that made troubles for me.

Now, the problem is solved. My nightmare disappeared.

47. MrMajorThorburn

MrMajorThorburn

Would love to help with the beta testing but only have the free version installed so don't have a serial number.
    Am I able to get a serial number just for the testing or is there a way round the disabled free version activation?

48. Roni92

Roni92

Pre-order beta is pre-order. That means you have to buy it to use it. Its not open beta.

49. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

Seriously. When are you going to fix the lighting system? It's completely unusable.

Roni92 likes this.
  50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Expected Beta 18 any day now, even today before new year