Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Beta 16 Now Available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Dec 4, 2014.

1. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Have you tried a "reimport all" from the asset folder? That got rid of most of the errors for me and the remaining one was the ProBuilder Prefab.

2. Ascensi

Ascensi

I have a bit of an emergency.. I've tried upgrading Beta14 to 16, uninstalled 14 first no matter which method ie; the direct download link or the assistant it wont install either version. The assistant constantly stalls and states I have have internet connection problems and makes me restart the download whereas I can download from the direct link over 2 mb/s.

In the direct download installations the checklist of installing Unity is greyed out with a checkmark as if it thinks it's already installed. I've deleted unity reg keys, removed unity folders and even disabled the serial key activation trying to reset everything from scratch.

Not sure what else to do.. isn't there a Unity cleaner script that could help wipe everything that from previous installations that might be preventing new ones?

3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

It was always greyed out. but its checked.

4. Ascensi

Ascensi

Issue fixed: Windows reported a hard drive error/corruption just this morning and fixed it. As soon as the errors were fixed the installations worked without issue.

In the Unity assistant downloader it's not always the case. But regardless in the installer details it would show that it's removing older/previous install files.. some that were left from previous install attempts but then during install it would show "skipping" on what looked like like every file.. Then at the end it would say install successful but when launched it would create an error and show: unity.exe? '2' -the exe is not in the folder.. most of the system is not there either.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. nomax5

nomax5

Hi,
    Can I continue using my 4x Unity and try the beta at the same time? I presume you can but I thought I'd ask.
    I'd like to try out some of the new features and get involved / help with the beta.

Roy

6. Archania

Archania

You can have as many installs of different versions as you want. But are you on the subscription or pre-purchase 5 Nomax? If not then you'll have to wait for it to become public...

7. nomax5

nomax5

Thanks Archania,

I subscribe to unity pro, it's a lot of money for me, but its my main hobby and cheaper than golf. So I believe I get 5.0 automagically when it comes out, and I got an email about the beta with a code.

Thinking about it though I bet some people using free come to the forum and perhaps they're thinking about "Going Pro" so I'll do a little Pros and Cons

Cons
    Money is removed from your bank account each month.
    I tend to buy more assets with pro, I'm not screwng around anymore if I need asset then I need an asset end of

Pros
    No more thinking "does it work with free?"
    No more slacking - you're paying for this so better get your monies woirth out of it.
    There is stuff that only works with Pro

Roy

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  8. Makosai

Makosai

The Bloom script utilizes BloomEditor which has a minor typing error that results in the whole script being useless. In BloomEditor I found that every instance of Treshold was spelled as Threshhold. Remove an H from all of them to fix it. Just thought the devs may want to know this as I figured this out today while I was making this:

9. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

That's cool.

You should submit a bug report to get it fixed.

10. gilley033

gilley033

In regards to the MissingMethodExceptions, rebuilding a DLL for Unity 5 is not really a suitable option for Asset Store publishers, since doing so will make the DLL's incompatible with earlier versions of Unity, which in turn makes the entire asset store package incompatible.

What is the reason for these errors? I am getting one for trying to access TreeInstance.position (error is MissingMethodException: Method not found: UnityEngine.TreeInstance.get_position), even though I have decompiled the UnityEngine.dll in Unity 5 and TreeInstance.position still exist.

11. Tomza

Tomza

Be concentrated on the future. Unity 5.0 is 64 bit. Even if this version is still unstable, I use it for the production. Why? The work with Unity 5.0 64 bit is much more suitable for my complicated project. I don't want to come back to Unity 4.x, because it was a true torture for me. The performance was horrible. Unity 5.0 is a new quality in 3D developing that is more support for multithreading, etc. I feel that in spite of instability. Every next Beta is more stable, so I think Asset Store publishers should think of Unity 5.0 only. Soon, all developers will use Unity 5.0 only and nobody will remember Unity 4.x and in this way DLL incompatibility with earlier versions won't exist.

But yes, I got some strange errors, too. Most of them was caused by just incompatibility when you upgraded your project that has some third party assets. I removed all from the Plugin and Editor folders. Sometimes, I do some modifications in scripts. And now I have no problems with such errors. However, the problem is that for example

Screen.lockCursor = false;
    Screen.lockCursor = true;

are obsolete (I got warnings), but when I upgraded to:

Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Unlock;
    Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Locked;

this works in Unity Editor only. When I built the scenes, the cursor was locked up in the center of the screen and I couldn't use it. I was forced to came back to the obsolete functions.

In Unity 5.0, there are many things that work only in Editor. they stop to work after having built.

12. gilley033

gilley033

@Tomza

Assuming all users will upgrade to Unity 5 is not realistic, and I am unwilling to restrict future updates to Unity 5 users. The MissingMethodException errors are most likely bugs, and I'm hopeful they will be fixed, since in all cases I've seen so far, the methods are not actually missing.

13. Dantus

Dantus

In previous versions it was also necessary to provide different dll files e.g. for Unity 3.x and Unity 4.x. Major releases are the right choice to introduce breaking changes. Of course it is possible that those errors are caused by a bug, but that is not necessarily the case.

14. Tomza

Tomza

I think the problem is that we have a good Unity 4.6 with many new features and at the same time Unity 5.0. Some people will stick to 4.6 because it's stable, but others will try to use Unity 5.0 for their projects (the guys from Unity Technologies are doing the hard work). But 4.6 and 5.0 are different worlds, so there are different DLLs.

And of course, again, if the log system was better, you would know it the errors are caused by assets, plugins or something or just a bug. Again, we can only guess.

15. gilley033

gilley033

Can I ask how you accomplish this? I would think a dll compiled for 4.x would throw errors in a 3.x project, which is what you would need to submit from in order to make the minimum requirement for your asset package 3.x.

Obviously that thinking is wrong, since you say it can be done. I would love to know how!

And indeed, major version changes are a great place to implement breaking changes, but this one seems odd. In my particular case, TreeInstance.position exist in all versions of Unity (well, at least 4+), so there shouldn't be any issues. These MissingMethodExceptions seem completely random, which is why I assumed they were a bug.

16. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I've seen this accomplished by putting the .DLL's for different version in packages inside the main package... so that you only install the package for the version you're using.

17. gilley033

gilley033

Ah I see, thanks. I'm opposed to making the user perform additional steps to get my packages up and running, but if recompiling for Unity 5 does end up being necessary, I guess this is one solution.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The visual impact of 5 is so great, there's absolutely zero point in staying behind unless you're doing 2D.

19. AhrenM

AhrenM

Pulled down b16 and got past the license quirk.
    Tried to load my b9 test project and it just loops on "unable to load the default layout" until I mash quit.

Is there a log somewhere I can use to try and un-pick this?

Kind regards,

A

20. DragonByte

DragonByte

can't load a b11 project with b16. Unity splashscreen is shown up after that unity quits without any promt.

21. goat

goat

Well it looks like Unity 5 Free will go beta for the public in February. Visually, since anyone that's targeting mobile likely won't need much of the new features anyway since the modern mobile HW is less that 1/2 as powerful of the latest Intel HW graphics GPUs. However, the other things they've done are something to look forward to.

Unity 5 will make me have to buy a new PC and new Mac Mini finally though; at a cost of at least $1100. :-( Even so, seeing the new 'Transformer PCs' from ASUS at the same price as a Mac Mini with 2, almost 3 year old HW is ill. I'd buy the new ASUS Transformer 300 line a lot more willingly than the Mac Minis or MacBook Air/Pro. That much for 3 year old hardware, whew.

22. Archania

Archania

And you are pulling that date from? Don't start rumors.
    I have the latest beta running on a dual core 2 laptop.

shkar-noori likes this.
  23. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

will, I ran the latest beta on an 8 year old machine, and and its still working wonderfully. But its usable only for programattic stuff.

24. goat

goat

@Archania - I'm not starting rumors but Unity 5 has a ways to go doesn't it. It's just small talk. If I wanted to start rumours I'd hang around those warez channels and start them there.

Well graphics is programmatic stuff but thanks for the tip, I know what you mean.

It looks like the new ASUS T300FAs (nice & for about $600!) won't be out until Unity 5 Free is released or in beta anyway.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sounds like fiction stated as fact though :p

Archania and Ostwind like this.
  26. Archania

Archania

Ya I did notice that the laptop is slow but it can work just don't expect to be doing things lightning fast lol.
    and I agree. This beta release 16 is horrible so hopefully they fix it in the next round.

27. goat

goat

OK, I admit it was a guess because we many read Unity Tech is getting ready for Apple's 64 bit ultimatum in February. Honestly, from the beta forums for Unity 5 it could be June! And I won't mind a bit.

I am now looking forward to this ASUS T300FA & Unity 5 Free but the newest Mac Mini and $99 a year to Apple not so much.

28. Emanomic

Emanomic

I'm having troubles with the license workaround. My command prompt keeps saying:

'Unity.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've tried putting the "C:\Program Files\Unity 5.0.0b16\Editor" directory in before it amongst other syntactical things but still no luck :(

Has anyone else had any problems with the workaround?

29. Archania

Archania

open the cmd as administrator. go to that directory and run the Unity.exe -serial ... in the Editor directory and see if that works.
    i had to install 4.6 on my laptop and then do it for 5 and that worked for me.

30. Emanomic

Emanomic

Ok so I reinstalled Beta version 14 and went through the license procedure as normal with that version. Now it seems I can run .16 fine since the license file is for v5.x meaning all versions of 5. Am I right to make this assumption?

Either way it's working now so I'm a happy man :)

31. Emanomic

Emanomic

I can open a small test project no worries at all but if I try to open any project of reasonable size it pulls up the splash screen for a second or two then just disappears (I'm guessing it's crashed since I can't find any unity processes running in task manager).

32. Roni92

Roni92

Hey, yo, and what bout auto updater? It's pretty annoying have to download whole new Unity and install it every week. I mean, how Unity is old? I mean come on, it wasn't developed yesterday, yo !

33. LaneFox

LaneFox

Fails to load any project.

Generally just crashes while trying to open the project, but periodically gets it open if I default the layout and commences puking out errors:

Code (csharp):
    2. Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
    3. Unhandled Exception: Mono.CSharp.InternalErrorException: Assets/PlayMaker Utils/PlayMakerUtils.cs(10,22): PlayMakerUtils ---> Mono.CSharp.InternalErrorException: Assets/PlayMaker Utils/PlayMakerUtils_Events.cs(18,28): PlayMakerUtils.SendEventToGameObject(PlayMakerFSM, GameObject, string) ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.AddComponentMenu..ctor'.
    5.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs:GetCustomAttributesInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type,bool)
    7.   at System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at System.MonoType.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13.   at Mono.CSharp.AttributeTester.GetObsoleteAttribute (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    15.   at Mono.CSharp.Expression.ResolveAsTypeTerminal (IMemberContext ec, Boolean silent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    17.   at Mono.CSharp.Parameter.Resolve (IMemberContext rc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    19.   at Mono.CSharp.ParametersCompiled.Resolve (IMemberContext ec) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    21.   at Mono.CSharp.InterfaceMemberBase.DefineParameters (Mono.CSharp.ParametersCompiled parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    23.   at Mono.CSharp.MethodCore.CheckBase () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    25.   at Mono.CSharp.Method.CheckBase () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    27.   at Mono.CSharp.MethodOrOperator.Define () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    29.   at Mono.CSharp.Method.Define () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    31.   at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer+MemberCoreArrayList.DefineContainerMembers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    33.   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    35.   at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer+MemberCoreArrayList.DefineContainerMembers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    37.   at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DefineContainerMembers (Mono.CSharp.MemberCoreArrayList mcal) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    39.   at Mono.CSharp.Class.DefineContainerMembers (Mono.CSharp.MemberCoreArrayList list) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    41.   at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DoDefineMembers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    43.   at Mono.CSharp.Class.DoDefineMembers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    45.   at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.Define () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    47.   at Mono.CSharp.ClassOrStruct.Define () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    49.   at Mono.CSharp.Class.Define () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    51.   at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.PopulateTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    53.   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    55.   at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.PopulateTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    57.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    59.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  34. goat

goat

That only makes sense when the API is closer to being stabile and finalized for 5.0

35. Dantus

Dantus

Looks like a playmaker issue.

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

Odd, 1.7.x seems to work on a new project. I'll ask around the PM beta group.

37. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

I filed a bug with Unity. It's not just Playmaker, it seems like a bunch of people are having problems opening projects with beta 16...

The Unity 5 beta will upgrade the current 1.7.7 Playmaker version to work, but it adds GetComponent calls to replace the shortcut properties removed in Unity 5, and does some other things... The Playmaker 1.8 beta replaces these shortcut property calls and fixes some other stuff for better compatibility and performance.

But it's good to know you can keep working with 1.7.7 in Unity 5, then upgrade to 1.8 when it's released :)

38. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

It looks like Beta 16 breaks with AddComponentMenu attributes. The next Playmaker 1.8 beta build will temporarily remove the component menus to workaround this issue (I tested the fix locally).

shkar-noori likes this.
  39. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Its Friday, I think we are due Beta 17 build, hoping today as we got a patch yesterday for 4.6.1p1, Thursdays are usually release days.