Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Beta 14 available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Nov 24, 2014.

1. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Do you have by any chance set your project or camera to "deferred rendering" and does it go away when you switch it back to "forward"?
    ProBuilder shows similar symptoms for face highlighting

KRGraphics likes this.
  2. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

How do we download beta13 again? This one isn't working out for me(can't drag prefabs to scene in upgraded 4.5 project) and I need to go back.

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yep. I always use Deferred Rendering... it doesn't go away. And VERY NICE that you put all of the light options on the lighting panel. Makes complete sense. I was like WTH, and then I was like SCHWEET!!!!

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Anyone having any issues with being unable to change the parameters on things like lights? I was trying to change the intensity of the light and it jumps back to it's old values. This even happens in the lighting panel.

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I also noticed that they added a sun option for environment lighting. I would love to see a way to place the sun light depending on where the sun source is on the HDR map. Maybe with an icon

7. Dweep

Dweep

Same here but not on all computers in the office.

8. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Okay ... that's odd. I already filed a bug for this in Beta13 and it's already been passed to the developer team. I hope this gets fixed in the near future because as soon as the particle editor is stuck it keeps being stuck on that particly system and won't revert. Case #648647 but I guess this one has been logged several times already.

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta 15 should be with us soon , if not today, early next week.
    Therefore be interesting to see this change-log as the UI stuff has been added to 14.

shkar-noori likes this.
  10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Maybe even today, already? Awesome! :)

11. Tomza

Tomza

I am waiting for Beta 15, too. I sent bug reports with irritating errors. I would be good the bugs were removed.

12. Marceta

Marceta

Can all users try unity 5 beta? Or only unity pro customers?

13. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Pro Customers only.

Marceta likes this.
  14. Elecman

Elecman

The Enlighten progress bar text is also very hard to read when covered with the blue bar.

shkar-noori likes this.
  15. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I just realized something about hte beta guys... if i have a project i went to open, but then hit cancel because i dont want to upgrade that project... well obviously it exits unity. Which is fine. But if i relaunch unity.. it doesnt even allow me to choose another project.. it goes straight for that project and asks the question again.. do i want to upgrade that project. So its either rename the directory or upgrade it lol.. just thought u might want to know.

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, just turn on "always show project wizard" in the prefs. You can also hold down alt while opening Unity. This isn't anything new.

--Eric

17. Mauri

Mauri

Out of curiosity: This "Download files to temporary location" - where is this location and will the files also be removed when I abort the download? It doesn't seem to be the Windows Temp folder.

18. melkior

melkior

There is a very widely recognized and fairly quick troubleshooting methodology called "split half isolation" methodology that should allow you to find an asset problem relatively quickly.

1) First take out all assets to ensure the problem is an asset problem? If yes proceed, if no something else is the problem!
    2) Put 50% of the assets back (pick the top folder and go halfway down)
    3) Did the problem come back? If yes your problem exists in the top 50%
    4) Take that top 50% and divide it in to two halves. Take one of those halves out.
    5) Did your problem go away? If yes the problem is in the half you took out, if no the problem is in in the folders you left in.

Continue this process until you find the file or folder that is causing your problem!

This method can be used for many types of troubleshooting and while it takes a little bit of practice you can reasonably quickly track down where a problem is in a few passes.

It is very important not to skip step 1 though -- you have to test if your problem is from the area you think it is. Or possibly you have no idea where the problem is but you could apply a similar methodology to each category of items in your project.

One downfall of this methodology is if you have more than one problem; you could observe that you have the problem in the top 50% *and* the bottom 50% ; but as long as the problem goes away with the step 1 you know you have at minimum one problem in assets, but maybe more.

I know this doesn't excuse Unity from making reasonable efforts to alert us to problem assets when they can -- but thought this method might help you or others save a few days of pain some day.

Good luck!

Devil_Inside and MrEsquire like this.
  19. Tomza

Tomza

Thank you! The faulty asset was found and destroyed :).

I used other method. I copied the whole project. I filtered assets by type and deleted them and in this way I found that the problem is in materials (when I removed all my materials from the project, no compilation errors). So I created another empty project and imported all my materials there. And then I was deleting 10 materials a time step by step and... I found the asset. My nightmare disappeared in this way.

melkior likes this.
  20. AdamKane

AdamKane

Hello. Is there an archive link to re-download beta 14? My team is having some issues with beta 18 (and using prefabs in subscenes using Advanced Additive Scenes). Thanks.

21. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

The links from the original post seem to work.

22. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Could it be an issue with the installer representing available disk space as 32-bit signed integers? Your space remaining would probably cause an overflow such that the comparison could fail. Wild shot in the dark.

23. AdamKane

AdamKane

You're right, it is working. Thanks!

Windows:
    64-bit Editor

24. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks.

This issue was resolved a while ago.

I submitted a bug report, which Unity acknowledged and fixed in their next beta release (many versions back at this point).

25. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

@schmosef ha! Yes, I notice now how old your original comment was. Glad it got resolved.