Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 Beta 14 available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Alex-Lian, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Unity 5.0 beta 14 is now available for download: http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/5.0

Please report bugs as usual: http://unity3d.com/BugReportingFAQ

Note: UI has been caught up to latest 4.6 version

EDIT (For those needing alternate download choices vs. the download assistant which is a work in progress):
    Here are the links to individual component installers for Unity 5.0.0b14. And to make clear, the plan has always been to provide links to the separate installers, as e.g. automated silent deployment of Unity will have to use the installers themselves, and not the download assistant.

Windows:

32-bit Editor
    64-bit Editor
    Web Player
    Sample Assets
    Example Project

OS X:

Editor (64-bit only)
    Web Player
    Sample Assets
    Example Project

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    chrismarch, p87, MrEsquire and 3 others like this.
  2. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

finally, great update guys, the UI, the reflection probes, the download assistant all at once :D

Whippets likes this.
  3. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

cool that this comes with sample assets and projects now - but these are just the old/current ones, right? so far i didnt find content that demos 5.0 specific features...

such a demo wouldnt have to be ambitious, just one scene showing off some simple PBR materials, some StateMachineBehaviors, etc., just like the basic sample project in unreal engine 4

4. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Awesome.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Edit: New Download Installation method?

6. mikelortega

mikelortega

In this version I cannot find Edit -> Scene Render Settings
    Where are RenderSettings?
    Thanks.

Edit:
    Found! Scene Render Settings now are under Window -> Lighting -> Scene

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

8. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

EditorUpdate = true ??

wetcircuit likes this.
  9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

From the release notes:
    P.S. Reading release-notes should be mandatory...

the_motionblur and Ostwind like this.
  10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Help->Scripting Reference from within Unity 5 Editor

wetcircuit likes this.
  11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Please next time it be better to start a seperate thread discussion.

wetcircuit likes this.
  12. LSpring

LSpring

The new downloader forces an install of the 64bit editor on my machine, rendering one of our custom 32bit plugins useless in the editor during testing.

Is there somewhere that I can download or otherwise access a 32bit version of beta 14?

13. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Yup. Work in-progress.

14. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

For some reason it took me almost an hour to download through the download assistant, while usually it's a matter of minutes. I hope it's just due to temporary heavy load.

15. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Updated initial post with individual installer target links.

chrismarch and LSpring like this.
  16. LSpring

LSpring

Thank you so much for the rapid response. As usual, you guys rock.

17. LSpring

LSpring

Uh oh. I spoke too soon:

Not Found
    The requested URL /bootstrapper/beea3a590379/Windows32EditorInstaller/UnitySetup32.exe was not found on this server.

18. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I'm wondering why the word "здравствуйте" (formal greeting in Russian) is written in Latin instead of Cyrillic? No Cyrillic font?

Untitled-1.jpg

19. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

I pasted the wrong url bases. Fixed now.

LSpring likes this.
  20. LSpring

LSpring

Much better. Thanks again.

21. melkior

melkior

I can't check these forums every day so forgive me if I've missed some information but I found some lack of documentation and or lack of integration of documentation

- the 5.0 beta 14 docs do not have ANY of the UI documents (included or online)
    - the 4.6 beta docs (here ) do not mention changes to the input field where the UI changed the inputfield to have a textcomponent needed to access the text property where previously it was accessed by the .value

22. Roni92

Roni92

Would be nice to know what is this mysterious example project because its not that small file.

23. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey! that's my oversight, will fix for future beta, sorry about that!

24. Tomza

Tomza

I downloaded the newest Beta version. I still have the compilation errors!

25. Dantus

Dantus

Were you able to isolate the issue?

26. Tomza

Tomza

I don't understand. It's hard to find the issue, because it can appear even in the case that there are no scripts. It's hard to guess where they can appear.

EDIT: When I rebuild the project to recompile, I have no errors, but as soon as I close Unity and start again, the errors appear again. I'm forced to rebuild project again.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  27. Tomza

Tomza

No custom asset postprocessors. I will send the bug report. I copied the project and removed textures as Unity Team wanted.

28. Tomza

Tomza

Because I wanted to make my project ready for the bug report, I removed textures, fonts, audioClips and materials from my project and... I have no compilation errors!

I'll try again.

29. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

What is the exact text of those errors?

30. Tomza

Tomza

ApplicationException: Unable to find a suitable compiler
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilers.CreateCompilerInstance (MonoIsland island, Boolean buildingForEditor, BuildTarget targetPlatform, Boolean runUpdater) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilers.cs:99)

Failed to create compiler instance

These errors always appear 2 times, so:

UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilers.CreateCompilerInstance (MonoIsland island, Boolean buildingForEditor, BuildTarget targetPlatform, Boolean runUpdater) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilers.cs:99)

31. Tomza

Tomza

I removed textures from my project - still compilation errors!

I REMOVED MATERIALS - NO COMPILATION ERRORS!!!

I tried a few times. As soon as I remove materials from my project (only font materials left - I can't remove them somehow), no compilation errors.

I'll try again to be sure.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  32. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

It might happen if one of the imported assets is corrupted somehow. Try to "Reimport All". If it's the case, then either total reimport will help, or at least you'll know which asset causes the problem.

33. Tomza

Tomza

Reimport All helps but when I close Unity and start again, I experience the compilation errors. So making Reimport All every time isn't a way out.

34. Tomza

Tomza

Ok, I can confirm that when I remove Materials from my Project, no compilation errors!

35. Tomza

Tomza

I created an empty project and imported all my materials from my previous project. When I closed Unity and started again, I got the compilation errors. So, I can say that I have just isolated problem.

I have 452 materials. Now, step by step, I'll try to find the source of the compilation errors.

36. Tomza

Tomza

I have sent the bug report to Unity Technologies.

(Case 650997)

Maybe, my case will be interesting for Unity Team. I have lost many days thinking what's happening. It will be good if Unity can invent something what can protect users from such irritating errors. Why does a small asset can block up the whole big project? My project is 80 GB. If I tried to check EVERY asset, it would last a year or more (because every time after having removed an asset, I should recompile the whole project and when you have hundred thousands assets you can imagine how much time it takes) :). It's good I found it by chance. I hope when I find the faulty material, the compilation errors will never appear.

37. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

new scene with plane and sphere. import character-assets and get:

Assets/SampleAssets/Characters/FirstPersonCharacter/Scripts/FirstPersonController.cs(4,25): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Utility' does not exist in the namespace `UnitySampleAssets'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

and

Assets/SampleAssets/Characters/FirstPersonCharacter/Scripts/HeadBob.cs(3,25): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Utility' does not exist in the namespace `UnitySampleAssets'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

??

38. Dantus

Dantus

Of course, that kind of issue is very annoying. But my impression is that you are trying to use Unity 5 in a production environment and you are asking it to be stable. Although it is still a beta version.

39. Tomza

Tomza

I know but my employer wishes me to use Unity 5.0. But my case should be useful for others. There should be a possibility to find quickly the source of troubles in the Project. It's impossible in the log. Only compilation errors and no info where and what.

40. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Anyone else getting the"LightmapDisplay" box twice in the scene view when editing lightmaps?

KRGraphics and shkar-noori like this.
  41. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Yes.

42. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Import Utility package as well.

43. Waz

Waz

About 10 subdividing tests. No big deal. But yes, Unity needs to do a much better job of saying *where* the error is.

44. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

ah, thx! sounds logical :D

45. schmosef

schmosef

I've got a problem with the download assistant for this release.

I've got 2TB of free on my install drive but the download assistant is telling me I don't have enough available space.

I've tried both install locations. Neither work.

I've included a screenshot.

Any ideas?

Unity install problem.png

46. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

There's also a geeky way that may work (or not) - to use Process Monitor to figure out what asset file has just been read before the message to the editor log file is written. I'm not sure this will help, but I'd try if I had such an error.

47. Elecman

Elecman

The Download Assistant displays the amount downloaded in kB. That is a bit 1996.

I mean, can you tell me instantly how many Mb/Gb this is: 1374374Kb.
    Sorry, time's up.

alexzzzz and shkar-noori like this.
  48. roem

roem

I've noticed some issues with white flecking artifacts when using specular maps in low light environments. I'm not home to download this right now, but does anyone know if that was addressed?

Also: I have not been able to find any documentation on the "multithreaded job scheduler". I'm very interested in giving this a go, can anyone point me in the right direction?

49. Tomza

Tomza

Exactly! When I read the log, it seems useless in most cases. It should be improved because every log is very important for computer programmers. If any errors appear, it should show which asset makes troubles. It makes life easier for many users. When an asset make troubles, it can be found quickly, reimported or just deleted.

Do you understand, Unity Team?

50. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yep... weird.

And I am getting a rendering bug in the scene view where i am trying to see a wireframe overlay of my scene, and the whole thing turns black. It goes away as soon as I set the view to isometric. My bug report number is 651399

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014