Search Unity

Unity 4.x Can't activate license, editor unusable

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TerabyteTim, Jan 24, 2019.

1. TerabyteTim

TerabyteTim

Looks like the licensing server URL got broken in Unity 4.x, which means people downloading the editor for the first time can't use any Unity 4 version. This bug also breaks manual license activation.

Here's what I know so far, I tested with 4.0 and 4.2.2 across multiple Windows 10 devices:
    • If you download and install the editor then launch you will be prompted with the "Unity license information is invalid." dialog.
    • Pressing "Re-Activate" leads to this screen popping up
    • I then tried disconnecting from the internet and activating manually which was successful.
    • However, after manual activation launching the Unity editor shows the Unity splash screen for a second, then immediately crashes with no errors and no output log
    • Launching Unity from the command line with a log file specified also does not produce a log file at the specified path.
    • Using ProcessMonitor, I was able to see that the instructions sent by Unity right before the crash have to do with checking the Unity license and the .ulf file located in my Program Data folder. This is odd because this even happens when I have no internet.
    • I was able to get one crash message out of Unity, which said that it tried to contact the licensing server and crashed because the host "(nil); was not found
    Hopefully this is an easy quick fix, as this renders all Unity 4.x launchers unusable.

2. mgear

mgear

uh.. it was working fine just now, with previously activated license (probably did that sometime last year),
    but tested with "return license" and then running again, fails on that missing page/url..

*that offline activation seems to work though.. (tested with 4.6.9p4)

3. TerabyteTim

TerabyteTim

Did you try launching the editor after the offline activation? Mine activated fine manually, but then launching the editor it would just crash at the Unity splash screen

4. mgear

mgear

yes, it would open the project selector window, and can open projects too.
    (tested both free and plus licenses for the offline activation)

you have older version, so maybe just in case test with the latest 4.x also?

5. TerabyteTim

TerabyteTim

Interesting, you were correct. 4.6.9 works fine on my machine, so it must be a separate issue causing the older Unity's to crash on startup

6. TerabyteTim

TerabyteTim

After downloading a few versions, I've discovered that all Unity 4.x versions prior to version 4.5 suffer crashes on my system. Is anyone else having issues with pre-4.5 Unity's?

7. mgear

mgear

tested 4.3.7p4, works here (i didnt deactivate the previously generated 4.6.9 license though)

8. pitaya4

pitaya4

Unity 4? That's like.. ancient. We're already on version 2018, move on. You can't just keep using the same version for 7 years (7 years!!!)

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Probably maintaining an old project.

10. radiantboy

radiantboy

I cant get 4.6.9 to load either :-( worked once with manual activation but wont work again when I reload it, any ideas?

11. galexandru

galexandru

We've had the same issue on certain computers not being able to activate Unity v4 license.
    We need this version since we're working with Hinge Joints and newer versions have broken this component.