Search Unity

Unity 4 to 5 lighting help

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RickyX, Mar 10, 2015.

1. RickyX

RickyX

xD Um yeah, xD . Well, most people hate late replys (including me lol xD), said it so you don't expect it soon :) Well gtg now

2. RickyX

RickyX

Hey man, I'm almost done with this, but i've got a problem here with non static objetcs... Look how this lighting reacts to non static objects, i've imported this free 3d model of a character, and didn't make it static: problem.png

Look how bad the lighting reacted to him :/ It's like i added emission to him. Btw he has a standard material and only a texture and metalicness and smoothness is on 0

3. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

Well what did the model look like before you put it into the scene? I can't really tell what it's supposed to look like unless I know what it looked like before you put it into the scene... Also your scene scene looks faded for some reason I imported this same scene into Unity 5 and changed the skybox and a few lighting values and It doesn't look faded at all (I attached some Screenshots below)- I'm not even using my computer I'm using my friends old computer, with low Res settings - there must be a setting messing up your entire scene... I think whatever setting that is could be messing up that model to/

Attached Files:

4. RickyX

RickyX

Okay so, here is a screenshot of all the settings i could think of, and there is a picture of this model inside unity with my current settings of lighting, and there is a picture of the same model when it's normally looking and outside of unity:
    p.png

Note:
    -The first picture of the model (inside unity with current lighting) is actually the same no matter if i place it as static or non static, it looks the same (yes i did a rebake)

Questions:
    -Isn't unity supposed to do this all in realtime, without baking stuff ?
    -Can you try and do the same in your scene, the same stuff i wanted to do in my scene (Which is a regular unity skybox, a directional light as a sun, reflections on metals using reflection probe, sunny themed) ?
    -Can you see anything wrong in my settings ?

5. RickyX

RickyX

Note:
    -This happens with other models too if they don't have metalicness and smoothness

6. RickyX

RickyX

Note:
    -I just rotated sun to get a night effect, and it turns out that it does not effect this at all, skybox gets darker but all this scene stays the same, so in this case day n' night cycle wouldn't be possible, while it's really important for my game

7. RickyX

RickyX

If you make the scene look like i wanted, please share your settings

8. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

-Isn't unity supposed to do this all in realtime, without baking stuff ?
    Isn't Unity Supposed to do what in real-time?

-Can you see anything wrong in my settings ?
    Your using a Legacy Rendering Path, that could be the problem, try using a new one built for Unity 5,

9. RickyX

RickyX

All of the lighting and GI

Okay i'll try that, thanks

10. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

After Unity has precomputed the lighting and the GI yes it is real-time. You can Add, Delete, and move any light except for area lights in real-time and change most of their settings without having to bake anything. Of course if your not using GI you can have every light except for area lights cast real-time shadows without precomputing. I'd recommend you read through the Unity Manual to understand the Engine more...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

What do you mean the scene stays the same?

12. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. RickyX

RickyX

The lighting... It's like it's day but it's supposed to be night, i guess KEngelstoft is right, the light probes are needed...

14. RickyX

RickyX

Hey and guess what guys, my character goes back to normal when i exit out of reflection probe o_O Wow... The reflection probe seems to work fine with objects that i placed metalicness and smoothness on, but it effects the meshes that are actually not using metalicness and smoothness.... What's the problem... Jonathan Watkins btw i changed rendering path and it changed some stuff but didn't fix this problem (the problem that adds something like emission of white to a mesh, the problem i showed you before)

15. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

Well you could always make the mesh renderer of your character not be affected by reflection probes...
    InspectorMeshRend.jpg
    Does this happen in other scenes? Or just this one?

RickyX likes this.
  16. RickyX

RickyX

Yep, changing that to off fixed it... Thank you once again man ! I'll check if this happens in other scene just for the sake of it...

17. RickyX

RickyX

Arghhh this is soo annoying come on... Every time i reload my scene i have to rebake reflection probe and lighting again.... Why doesn't it save for God's sake... This takes so much time, and i can't even imagine how much it will take when the scene gets bigger and more reflection probes come...

18. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

That's wierd, it should save...

19. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

It rebakes automatically if you move a Static Game object with Continuous baking on...

20. RickyX

RickyX

Continuous baking just bakes itself when i update anything, i don't even update it right and it starts baking right away... It's also messing something up in reflections, the meshes in reflections look black actually... Ahh i really don't know anymore... All of this new stuff is just so messed up for me.

unityunity