Search Unity

Unity 4 Tech Demo - Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unityasoft, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenBits

SevenBits

Unity 4 does not come with a default project?

2. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

May have been updated but afaik it's still just angry bots, no new crazy DX11 new feature oriented demo project (could be wrong).

3. techmage

techmage

It's immediately interesting to me.

I think you guys downplay the potential value of realtime rendering to the profession of visualization. Which is understandable, as the potential of realtime rendering has not really come to full awareness for the majority of the visualization industry that still relies on still shots or rendered animations. I think this is partly due to the fact the tools and pipelines to do realtime visualization aren't as readily prevalent or refined as the pipeline to do pre-rendered animation work. The other reason I don't think it's full potential has been reached thus far is because capable enough GPU's are really just now becoming common place in the current generation of average priced laptops and tablets.

But I have some clients that represent a significant chunk of money in visualization work and they are incredibly interested in migrating everything to realtime visualization, because the added level of interactivity that can be added is such a huge step up in it's value as a method of communication. If realtime rendering could get closer to the look of pre-rendered visualization, getting these clients to start putting more and more money to investing in realtime would be much easier.

In my eye, if someone dealing with architectural, product or mechanical visualization wants to move into realtime rendering for anything, they will go to Lumen RT or Unity. Personally I think Unity has way more potential, and is far ahead of the possibilities that LumenRT offers. Which is why I am here, but I do wish this market was more recognized by UT, and UT would put effort to making Unity a primary tool for it as well. Because at least for me, I foresee in the next 5 years a switch where more and more visualization artists may start buying a license of Unity, rather than a license of VRay, to produce the final deliverables to a client. Which would come in the form of a web player, or an iPad app, rather than just a series of jpg's or a DVD. Unity currently sits in the space with the most potential to completely corner this market.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

+1 agreed

5. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

This makes quite a few answers going toward "yes, we care for the 60 gb project", any chance you'll release it now?
    Once again i'll be happy to mirror it for a while.

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

+1 I completely agree... for a long while my work was with offline rendering and I CANNOT wait until games start looking like this...

7. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Yes, torrent it up.

8. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I am slightly confused about the benefit of having this.
    1. Opening a 1gb project is a pain in my dev machine. A 60gb one ? Horror !
    2. Most of the "interesting" bits are not usable atm, e.g. blend shapes e.t.c.
    3. Most of the assets are movie oriented i.e. high poly - high res.
    Gradually getting some of the features in the engine (like directx11 that arrived already) makes more sense to me.

9. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Not everyone is targeting mobile phones, i'm interested in high poly high res and how they made it realtimeish on top end hardware.
    A game takes a while to make so this same top end hardware will probably be low end by the time i push something out.

10. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi Ronan,
    I am very impressed from your work in true bones.
    Perhaps I was not as specific as I should in the previous post.
    There is a certain poly and texture analysis budget for PC and console games too. Judging from the size, the above project is clearly in the movie league. I think there is no 60gb game available atm. Most games use video to display cut scenes made with similar assets.
    I seriously doubt that we are approaching the moment that such big games will be available, due to many reasons ( e.g. How will one deliver it to the client ? ).

On the other side, there is a clear potential for people who seek to create a movie with unity. There may be some out there, but the current orientation of unity does not seems to be a movie or cut scene production tool.

The only reason I contribute to this discussion is because I cannot really see the benefit. I would appreciate if someone demonstrates it.
    Kind regards,
    Ippokratis

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I can't think of any 60GB games but i can think of many 30+ ones, they're simply delivered digitally by download.
    However i don't think anyone wants this project to see "how to use 60gb in a unity project" but to see "how was that quality/runtime speed tradeoff achieved".
    Even if it is only somewhat realtime on top end hardware it's far above what we usually see in games so i'd be interested in looking at it.

12. mgear

mgear

Latest 3Dartist magazine has article on butterfly effect..

stuff used for the demo,
    - nvidia apex engine for rigidbodies
    - nvidia horizon based ambient occlusion

Also comes with small tutorial scene for rigidbodies.

Attached Files:

13. duke

duke

Does said small scene include HBAO?

edit: Sample/tutorial scene is separate and doesnt have anything to do with The Butterfly Effect. Damn.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oooh....necro forum......Btw when can we get acess to the project files?? Come on UT...
    well no need to put all asset, just the tools,features,and shaders, and scripts :D

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well the conversation kinda went like that
    "Can we get access to this?"
    "No we don't think you'd really want such a large project"
    "Yes we do and I'm even willing to host it"
    And then no answer for months, so i wouldn't hold my breath :)

16. lmbarns

lmbarns

My boss was just asking me yesterday if Unity can render movies and stuff and I told him not really, I can script some behavior, I'd love to see this project released so I can at least hack it up....

Would be sick if you could render vids with an alpha channel/bluescreen. I know you can take a ton of screenshots/getpixels but something that I could export/open in a video editing software would be amazing.

17. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

*bump*

I doubt that my machine is anyway near being capable of handling a 60gb project but I still would be interested in the skin shader or quality HBAO. Even if the example scene comes on a lowpoly box :D
    I understand that the paper "mastering dx11 in Unity" was more of a roadmap than a tech preview of Unity4 but it's a bit depressing to read how crappy "old Unity SSAO" looks, compared to HBAO (taking direct light, normal maps etc into account) And 1 1/2 years later, it's still old unity ssao :|
    Everybody gets why R&D is important but such a polished video made it look as if it was very succesfully working

18. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

... especially with unpremultiplied colors if rendered on the camera background!

19. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

Is there any way to build video file in unity or you guys captured screen?

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

From the grave of 2013 comes the necro post of doom. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.