Search Unity

Unity 4 New EULA Restrictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by npsf3000, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Vicas

Vicas

That's like saying "I know Unity is going DIRECTLY against their own original vision, but it's OK since it only affects rich people."

No matter how you turn this, npsf3000's original post still is valid. Unity had a clear vision, and those EULA changes goes directly against it.

2. Dabeh

Dabeh

That was a really old post so I'm not sure why you picked mine out of 30+ pages, there are some better ones you can twist, but I'll entertain your post.

I'd rather you not go around making statements that I'm basically saying "it's okay since it only affects rich people". Please stick to what I said. I'd prefer if you didn't imply I hate people who are "rich". You have no clue as to my background and if you did you'd know how inaccurate that statement of yours is.

Now on a more relevant note, can you clarify what this "clear vision" is that you keep referring to? Where is it they(Unity) mentioned this "clear vision" of theirs?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. npsf3000

npsf3000

I have no intention of resurrecting this thread, but since it did pop up...

This is quite a pleasant surprise, given how long ago I made the post and how much fierce discussion has been had since then.

If you don't read the OP... what can I say?

4. npsf3000

npsf3000

Looks like UT have decided that these practises are a smart way to increase revenue. Now being applied in Asset store:

https://lumospowered.com/blog/66295...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/209505-Unity-want-a-part-of-the-cake-for-online-services
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/209396-Lumos-delisted-from-Asset-Store

5. darkhog

darkhog

That's why we need to make "community" Asset Store, something that Cydia devs made when they became disgusted with AppStore policies. Preferably using Editor extension to access it (aside of need to install it for every project, it would be as seamless as current AS is).

I don't have money to host whole thing, however I can assist in development.

6. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I have the money, servers bandwidth to get involved in this, how much interest would there be in something faster / better than the asset store that would have the following:
    - Devs are responsible for their packages, no validation wait time but no testing from the store
    - All revisions are kept and downloadable (can download an old version if you so wish)
    - Payment would NOT be handled by the store directly but an external provider that does only payments (like paypal or similar) i would take something reasonable (10%?) and pass on the rest, it would be a larger cut than the store for the devs
    - Refunds would not be handled by the store, the developer would have it's own handling of refunds, however they could be escalated to the store (i'd like feedback on this from sellers buyers alike, what would sound fair?)

It's a project i can see myself doing but i'd like to know if there are enough (at least 3-4 high profile current asset store sellers) people interested to make it worth it.

Let me know

7. Ostwind

Ostwind

For many people Cydia is also almost synonym for place to get pirated/cracked stuff in. Who would be legally responsible for such community run asset store when some assets will probably be in gray area or even pirated / ripped off art. When you buy something from there and then later its found out to be stolen or etc. you are pretty much legally safe using current asset store.

8. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Course not it wouldn't be any different, just like on the asset store when something pirated gets discovered it gets pulled, you still need to drop it from your game, the asset store , like any other store, cannot grant you a license to an asset on which themselves have no rights.

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

So for example if you would host one and I would get a mail that I am using and illegal asset, I can contact to your store to ask for refund and you handle the rest?

Because there are already a lot of small time store sites that disclose them away of all the troubles and make the seller and buyers be responsible of everything. When the seller disappears you are left with nothing.

Also as buyer, will you have full system for VAT reverse in buys or if I want to sell assets in your store too will you have them built in? :)

Just noting some things I have come across around.

10. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Yes the idea is
    If the Customer is asking for a refund
    => not my business, passing this on to the dev who either refunds or refuses (their decision), if they chose to refund from my system the dev gets billed back the full amount they made + the transaction cost, i pay back the % i took, i don't know what i do about the VAT in those cases (need to ask my accountant, i assume if i refund it i don't get any loss can write it off against future VAT)
    If the dev refuses to refund it
    => it escalâtes to me if you so wish, in that case i respect the decision of the dev will only reimburse for a few reasons to be defined (but of the top of my head it will be piracy / asset not working with a version of unity for which it is writen as tester / asset does not do what it describes or other false advertising)
    If i'm issuing the refund because i let a pirated asset get in

=> I fully refund you after that it's my problem to get refunded by the dev, if i notice an asset is pirated or not licenced correctly you will receive an email asking for you to delete all copies send me a scanned signed letter from a Template indicating you deleted all of it, after which you'll be refunded of everything and if i can't get the cash back, it's my loss. Stores take a cut part of that cut needs to go toward checking the legality of the asset the trustworthyness of the Publisher.
    Yes VAT reverse charge would be built in, just like in the asset store you'll need to provide your VAT number for this to work.

11. imtrobin

imtrobin