Search Unity

Unity 4 license compare with UDK, CRytek, Gamebryo, Unigine, Marmelade,Shiva3D etc...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity3dx, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Who do you think will win the race?

1. Unity 3D

72.4%
  2. UDK

30.0%
  3. Cryengine 3

12.5%
  4. Gamebryo

1.6%
  5. Unigine

3.1%
  6. Shiva 3D

2.7%
  7. Marmelade

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nipoco

nipoco

Most game developer who are serious about games development barely choose UDK. There are only a few commercial titles done in UDK.
    Most titles they advertise as UDK games (like Hawken, Dungeon Defenders etc.) are actually made with the full license of UnrealEngine. And that is something you can't afford.

UDK is a nice toy for modder and 3d artists, who use it for their portfolios.

And btw. There are people who made millions with Unity games. Not just prototypes..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Khyrid

Khyrid

Game Maker Studio > all!

*runs away quickly

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

Anyone saying UDK it's better than Unity it's an amateur and don't know a dime about game development. Unity has everthing you need to create any kind of game fast. It's by far the most user-friendly, modular and extensible engine I've ever worked with. Has the best shader pipeline, best asset pipeline, best editor, it's fast and open. The best of all, you don't need source license to do all that. UDK it's a half-baked mastodon plethora of sh*ts, old, rigid, impossible to customize and requires you sources for advanced stuff (which all games needs for). If you really want to create a game go with Unity. CryEngine.... well i don't even think it worth mention in here.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

*Takes aim with a crossbow.

5. Dewy

Dewy

Hawken was actually made with UDK, that's why the trailers show the UDK logo and not the UE3 logo. I don't know if they've changed to a full license since then. Also Epic don't advertise dungeon defenders as a UDK game.

Well there's antichamber, chivalry, the prototype of dungeon defenders and q.u.b.e (which was made with out any coding). They're all clearly just a UT3 or gears clone, right? I'm not saying UDK is better than Unity or vice versa but I am saying your wrong, very wrong. I know you love Unity but there's no need to slander the competition particularly on Unity's forums, as people here most likely already love Unity as well. All you're doing is giving Unity's community a bad name and the reputation of Unity's community isn't the best to start with.

6. woodygoody

woodygoody

Sure, Unity is good start for any Games Dreamer

7. janpec

janpec

Manhunt begins.

8. tatoforever

tatoforever

I don't speak or think in the name of the community, neither the community does it in my name. I have long enough experimented and used UDK (even before it ever exist I was working on UT mods) to get into those conclusions and those are my personals thoughs on UDK. Though when UDK4 (or whatever will be called) came out, I'll see how good it is and if it fits my needs but right now Unity still wins over UDK, like it or not.
    Btw, If you feel offended somehow with my post, take my friendly excuses in advance. :rolleyes:

9. Khyrid

Khyrid

Dear Family,
    I am writing you for the last time. It has been several days and I appear have escaped Unity city, but their mob is still close behind me. I knew associating with Game Maker was a big mistake, but old habits die hard. I can't let them get me, it would be a fate worse than death, I cannot allow my opinions to be challenged. I have no choice but to end it all. I hope this works...
    Code (csharp):
    2. canShoot = 1;
    4. if canShoot == 1
    5. {
    6. canShoot = 0;
    7. instance_create(x,y,objBullet); //Create bullet object with collision code at my x,y.
    8. }

10. munaeem

munaeem

OMG, CryEngine is too damn good if we see it graphic wise, i made a test level it was so beautiful, i wish unity was just the same. I just hope Unity will be one day :). Anyway, CryEngine team/Company is a night mare for license they have too much of ego, arrogance all that (my Opinion). Ask me why ?
    read this and the links (Cry-Adam)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105142-make-crytek-give-me-my-damn-indie-license/

They never reply to Indie developers just because they we can't pay them enough (what i think it is) and they would never reply if you send a license request with a common domain for e.g. @gmail.com or @hotmail.com etc... I am never using that, i just used it for today thank god. This ^^ forum saved me from wasting my precious time.

I would stick to Unity3d, because they are not full of arrogance or pride or ego. Unity don't die for money, because they allow us to even sell games made by the free version of Unity. That much, they care for us (unity). I would not recommend you to use CryEngine until you are some kind of a millionaire.

I feel SORRY for the guy (in the forum, link above) who spent 1 year to make his game with his team of 8 and ended up being ignored by Crytek for license, his game is deleted by their community. Feel so sad :( for him.

That is why i recommend Unity not because they are simply the best but AWESOMELY FANTASTIC

If you are new to this development, then Go for unity ;)

And don't forget you still have the asset store to make your life easy as hell in Unity3d ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. tatoforever

tatoforever

12. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

I have a strong impression that after they released CryEngine to the public and promised to make an indie commercial license "in the future", they changed their mind and thought it was a terrible idea to begin with that they released it to the public.

Some people are waiting for the indie commercial license still to this day...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. tatoforever

tatoforever

Several months and even a year, that's just ridiculous. They've open up to the masses only to get more visibility but they don't want to deal with lot of indies, hobbyist or students, they still want only multimillion studios to license their crappy engine.
    People should start to tweet about this sh*t Crytek is doing to the smaller developers. I mean F***, there's a lot of people already finished their game with CryEngine but can't sell their games because of all those crappy license sh*ts...
    See folks? Better safe than sorry! Keep using Unity if you don't want any surprise in the run...

14. janpec

janpec

Hm not sure if there has been really that many people finishing projects with Crytek, at least what i have seen on forums is pretty much not a single finished project, and the only project with a bit advanced gameplay is Snow, the rest is pretty much not done at all. But yeh there is one huge missleading gap on licensing for Cryengine: It should be put up with huge labels-if your indie project will not shine AAA quallity you will not be able to release it no matter of the rules, unless you purchase full license. But on other hand the good thing is that Cryengine and UDK both automatically push away most of beginners due to their difficult pipeline and spare them problems with licensing in future.

15. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

In the (aptly named) "Cry" forums, there's more of an iron hand when it goes in that direction.

EDIT: Indeed comparisons also cannot be made in UDK forums! It's just when moderators didn't see it.

16. ZJP

ZJP

17. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

18. ZJP

ZJP

Most of thread are closed after two pages. ;)