Search Unity

Unity 4 is too expensive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity3dx, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

This is how I see the whole pricing thing:

You want zero cost, zero risk, and complete ownership of whatever you do? Use Unity Free.

You want more power, and complete ownership of whatever you do and can pay up front fees? Use Unity Pro.

You want more power; don’t want to take the economic risk of buying the engine up front? Use UDK and be ready to pay 25% of your revenue to them.

I pick unity because I rather own 100% of my product and think paying up front is worth that. You think it's too risky? Then there are other alternatives out there.

At the end of the day, if you are talented enough to take advantage of any pro features you are looking at, I'm sure you also have the skills to adapt and use a different tool that provides you with the business model that fits your goals best.

2. Dabeh

Dabeh

I'm talented enough to take advantage of the pro features.
    But I'm also talented enough to not need them to make money.

Wow, that sounded really up myself.

3. nestg

nestg

the cost of develop a game is not only the license cost, maybe the most cost is the time used, if your game engine and tools are not good for make a good game the risk of waste your time is very high.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

A bad artisan blames his tools. A good artisan can make due with what he is given, especially with a fantastic free tool.

5. nestg

nestg

is a kiut phrase but in the world of programming this only apply to C++

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

The tools are all good, but should you feel you really need more, and cant pay up front: again, there is an engine out there that complies with your needs.

7. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

No, it does not. You should be able to change for a tool. The tool shouldn't have to change for you.

8. nestg

nestg

Totally no, i cant use a hammer to cut wood

9. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

You can. You just need to be creative. Also, the hammer wasn't designed to cut wood.

10. Dabeh

Dabeh

Well I would probably modify the hammer a little.

11. nestg

nestg

exactly, unity free wasn´t designe to make realistic games

12. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

...and we've come full circle again.

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

But it was designed to make games. A paintbrush is designed to paint, but it is not designed to paint a realistic painting. That part is up to the painter.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. nestg

nestg

yes. i say this some post before, this is a long discussion that will be take years.

15. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Good thing we are talking about game engines!

16. MyFault

MyFault

you could download UDK and do realistic there. Curious to see what excuses you may come up with why that wouldn't work...

17. nestg

nestg

2d and 3d are different worlds, for have realism in a 3d game you need dynamic shadows, if you need a tool for make non-realist games Unity is the best tool, really is the best, but for make realistic games in this moment you need at less Unity Pro and in my personal case is a expensive tool.

18. nestg

nestg

i use UDK some months ago and is really awesome, with the default scene you have a beatiful and realistic enviroment with dynamic clouds.

19. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Problem solved.

20. nestg

nestg

i never say that have a problem with unity free, i am not a unity user, i only like talk about game engines.

21. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

If you aren't a Unity user, why are you always complaining about it here on these forums?

22. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Then problem never existed! :D

**** thread lockdwon in 9.... 8.... ****:cool:

23. nestg

nestg

is funny

24. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

i guess all software and hardware should cost zero money.
    My PC wasn't designed for 3D art, it is mostly a gaming machine, but i am still able to run CS6 (much money) on it and blender (no money) and unity free (no money) AND i am making money with it.

is there a free version of Photoshop i can use for commercial work? nope? there is the GIMP, but i will never use it again.
    is there a free version of Unity? yep and i can make money with it.

be happy with what you have. Unity is awesome, especially the price and who gives a ..... if you are not able to make "realistic" games with the free version? If you don't trust you and your own skills to pay back that money, you don't need pro anyways.

even if i wouldn't be able to pay back my CS6 licence i would have bought it, because digital art is a hobby of mine and so i will buy Unity pro some day, because it is a hobby for (yep...i am no professional game desginer) but i know lots and lots of other hobbies that are far more expensive than that.

/endrant

25. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I agree with tis completely.

26. nestg

nestg

if you not use your time for nothing obviusly use Photoshop or Unity or other tool haven´t a real cost and is totally Free, but if your time have a cost develop a game with a free tool is not as receive a free PC or a free TV.

27. Dabeh

Dabeh

I didn't realize they forced you to use your time on it. And when you get a real argument come back.

28. nestg

nestg

obviusly this is not the discussion, the discussion is the price of unity pro.

29. nipoco

nipoco

Because he is a pure troll, wasting his time here.

Best thing is to put him on the ignore list and don't dive into discussions with him, because that makes obviously no sense here.

I'm sure, he isn't even a game developer at all.

30. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

I have never complained about not having a pro license. I think the basic is very capable. I am continually espousing how great Unity is. The only thing that is lame is that transitioning from 3.x to 4.x all the licenses get reset to zero. That makes it more of a subscription than a purchase. If you don't see it, then I agree to disagree.

My second point, is that the greatest asset Unity has is it's large user base. Where do 95% of the questions people have get answered? right here on the forum. Where do all the game assets and plug-ins come from - once again, it's the user base.

I hope Unity continues to offer their users a fair price for what is a great product and the user numbers continue to grow. $1500 every 2-3 years might turn some people away. If you're making hundreds of thousands - or even thousands - probably not.

31. nestg

nestg

yes, unity pro is very cheap, i will be pay $15.000 for 10 licenses for me and my troll friends.

32. nipoco

nipoco

I agree with all your points. Especially the second one.

33. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm certain that that shouldn't happen. Pretty sure that when I looked at my store page last it offered me upgrade prices rather than new purchase prices. Contact them and see what's up with it.

34. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Oh, I have, but a user in the ignore list not very useful, as it just shows this instead of every post.

35. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I never got that... why forums porivide an ignore function but still remind you every time that poster says anything? Ignore in a forum should also hide the entire post. if technically possible also hide quote-blocks of ignored posters.

36. nipoco

nipoco

Yeah I agree.
    But that is better than nothing at the moment.

37. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I actually find the ignore message more enticing and harder to ignore than the actual message.

38. drewradley

drewradley

+1

39. nestg

nestg

yes, i ignore me some times too

40. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

41. techmage

techmage

Would just like to chime in and say, I started with Unity Free, pretty much the day it went free. Then I spent two years learning on Unity Free and made a few things on Unity Free and this was enough to get me a well-paying job doing Unity development. Where my company purchased me Unity Pro, iOS Pro and a 12-core mac pro to go with it.

So given my experience, I tend to think that if you can't make something impressive enough with Unity Free to atleast get yourself a job somewhere and access to Unity Pro and funding to do more things, then you probably aren't really at the point of even needing Unity Pro. You don't have to make 100's of thousands of dollar off a single game release with Unity Free to get going as a well-paid Unity Developer. You just have to demonstrate your proficient at it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  42. nipoco

nipoco

Hey great!

This^

43. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm starting to think that Unity Technologies hired nestg to make everyone who complains about the problems Unity Free has look bad.

44. nipoco

nipoco

Unity Free has no problems. You can hardly complain about a free product. It's simple as that.

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

By this logic, MS Paint is a great photo editing suite. Unity Free does have problems, and some of those problems are even ones you can end up paying for like the lack of a profile in iOS/Android basic. On the free front, it's pretty silly that there's no option to play back a video in the free version and the lack of render to texture is causing me problems to this day on a game where that shouldn't even have to be an issue. This has been a near ubiquitous feature in engines for years now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  46. nipoco

nipoco

Nobody forces you to use MS Paint( which is a silly example btw). Same goes for Unity free.

What you mention are set limitations and not problems. And if you're not be able to make a game because of that limitations, then you've to buy pro or to look elsewhere.

You didn't pay a dime to UT but you complain about their free software... amazing...

47. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

A limitation becomes a problem when they are limitations that are not imposed in other engines and are, in fact, near ubiquitous free features. Saying "oh, it's free" is a S***ty excuse, especially when I pointed out that one of the problems is one you pay for.

48. shaderop

shaderop

Actually no, a better analogy is you demanding that Microsoft give you Word for free because Wordpad doesn't meet your needs.

An even better analogy is that of someone complaining about Word being too expensive and needing its automated references and footnotes features to write their PhD dissertation, while they are yet to earn their high school diploma.

49. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

No, it's like saying that maybe it'd be nice if Microsoft didn't limit Notepad to having no way to apply bold, italic, or underlined font styles or the ability to change the font size if Wordpad didn't exist. I never said Unity Pro should be free and you're directly putting words in my mouth by saying that. What I have ACTUALLY said is that there are a handful of really egregious choices in the limitations imposed by Free over Pro.

50. shaderop

shaderop

Let me rephrase then:

"A better analogy is you demanding that Microsoft offer some of Word's features in Wordpad because Wordpad's current features don't meet your needs."

Better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.