Search Unity

Unity 4 is too expensive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity3dx, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You mean really common features like "bold, underlined, italic, or differently sized text as these things are ubiquitous across almost all other text editors?"

Yes, that is better.

2. shaderop

shaderop

I never compared Word to Notepad and you're directly putting words in my mouth by saying that. What I have ACTUALLY done is compare Word to Wordpad, which already has those features.

3. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Yes, because they're ubiquitous features. Which is why I used NOTEPAD as a better example.

4. shaderop

shaderop

So what you've done is rephrase the argument to better support the point you're trying to make, which is, according to you, perfectly fine. But when someone else does it, then it's putting words in your mouth and is beyond the pale.

And "ubiquitous features" suggests that there's an abundance of game engines that are available for individuals and indies to license that already have these "ubiquitous features." How many of those game engines have you tried that offer the features you want for free? And why aren't you using those already if they exist? This is not rhetorical at all because if there's something else out there that comes close to Unity then I would really like to know about it.

5. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm not using them because only a handful of them properly support OSX and I'd have to port over my existing codebase and learn their own internal scripting languages that suffer from a lack of documentation. Or, in the case of UDK, because that's a lot of overhead for what is predominantly a 2D game.

6. shaderop

shaderop

So there aren't any game engines that are comparable to Unity as far as both of us are concerned, and referring to features as "ubiquitous" doesn't make much sense since the sample size is one.

I promise that the above will be the last of me being a pedantic a-hole (at least on this thread). But I do want to add that I think I understand where you're coming from. In certain situations and for certain people, it doesn't matter if something costs ten dollars or a thousand since the money is simply not there. And even for those who can pay, US$1500 can be way too much. My wallet ended up under the shower curled in the fetal position the day I bought Pro.

But businesses will charge what the market can bear, and it seems that the market is handling Unity's licensing cost just fine as far as they are concerned.

7. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Pfft, you're the least pedantic a-hole I've ever encountered in conversations like these. I understand where you're coming from but I disagree with you which is, frankly, fine. For me, I find that there are two or three features in Pro that really absolutely should be in Free though. Not like the people who go "IT SHOULD HAVE REAL TIME SHADOWS" and then list every single feature, but that movie playback, render to texture, and a profiler in the basic version of iOS and Android should be there. However, I'm pretty sure that, at the most, the only one we might end up seeing eye to eye on is that last one.

8. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

the discussion is useless because 100 Unity free users want 100 different pro things implemented in the free version.

everyone has a different need of features.

9. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

I don't think they should include the Profiler in the free version. It is in my opinion far more valuable than real time shadows or any other feature that has been disabled. That would be the single driving motivation for upgrading in the future if I someday have the funds.

Ideally, UT would release the entire engine for free and guarantee their place as #1 game dev tool for all time. They could happily exist off of all the spin off of having a world wide ginormous user base of many millions. Look at Facebook or DOTA 2 for example - the wealth is in the numbers. My own sentiment which is almost surely never going to happen.

I don't think people complaining about lack of features on a free product makes them bad. As I have already said - the simple fact that they downloaded and are using the product is an asset to UT and this will equal profit for the company at some point - even if the user does something as simple as respond to a question or buy a small item on the asset store. Every user is valuable.

What is annoying to me is the flamers who get on here with comments like "I can't believe Unity is so cheap!" "I make $1500 in a week." "I feel bad for Unity selling their product for so little - I feel like tipping them extra!" That is pure trolling - simple. You come on to a thread titled "Unity 4 is too expensive" and go on about how it should cost more. If that's not the definition of trolling - I don't know what is.

10. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm more referring to the lack of a profiler in the $400 iOS and Android addons but looking back at my phrasing I can see how I didn't make that clear at all, sorry.

11. npsf3000

npsf3000

How?

How would it get significantly more users... and how would it make money simply by having them?

12. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

13. npsf3000

npsf3000

Touché

14. shaderop

shaderop

And how would they monetize that ginormous user base? How would they make money off of them? As it was already mentioned, the Asset Store isn't the goldmine you think it is.

The business model you're describing was already tried in the late 1990s. It's called the "dot-com bubble."

Last time I checked, disagreeing with someone's opinion was still called "debate," not "trolling." And I don't recall anyone saying that Unity should cost more, but rather that the Pro version offers good value for the asking price.

I've looked at your website and portfolio. You're definitely a talented artist and I would tip my hat for you if I had one. I'll go further and assume that you also have 3D character animation and programming in Unity all figured out as well so that you have all the skills necessary to single-handedly make that awesome hyper-realistic, triple-A, magnum opus of game. Either it's going to take you a few decades to finish, by which time you should easily be able to save the $1500 to get the pro version and real-time shadows, or you're going to have to hire other talent and/or spend a small fortune on prebuilt assets, in which case, Unity's price tag will be the least of your worries.

15. ZJP

ZJP

This!!

I'm pretty sure IF UnityTEch integrated shadows in the free version there will be complaints for something else. So ... ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. nestg

nestg

possibly in 2008 when Unity Basic cost $400 and some people say that is expensive this people was called "troll" but in 2009 Unity Basic died and appear our friend Unity Free, now in 2013 the world of the game engines is more competitive and Unity Pro is expensive compared with other alternatives, simply is a rule, when some thing arrive to the top can not go up more, and Unity Pro time ago is in the top of their price.

17. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You don't even use Unity. Why are you even here?

18. nestg

nestg

why not?

19. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

what alternative is cheaper than unity pro?

20. nestg

nestg

Shiva 3D, UDK, Delta Engine and Others

21. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

if you would call that an alternative engine^^

22. nestg

nestg

Shiva 3D is absoluty great for $199 compared with $1500 cost of Unity Pro, i use the free version of Shiva and is awesome.

23. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

great news
    free version that allows you to publish..........not.

24. nestg

nestg

with Shiva free you can publish commercially only to web (and for testing to the other platforms), without limitations as shadows or splash screens or others, but if you think Shiva can publish to all platforms and unity cant without pay more, really the diference is Shiva $199 and Unity $4500, personally i prefer save $4301.

25. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

cool beans

26. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

So, this thread was resurrected from the grave by a new user, please don't necro. I think this thread is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.