Search Unity

Unity 4 (free) & 5 on the same computer?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KingfisherWyvernStudio, Mar 20, 2015.

1. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Hi,

I think I remember reading about having two different versions of unity installed on a computer, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

Anyway, here's the question and why I'm entertaining that question:
    Is it possible to have Unity 4 (free version) and Unity 5 running on the same computer, preferrably at the same time?

I'm asking this because I'd like to do the tutorials I've already done and the tutorials I still wanted to do both in Unity 4 and Unity 5 and keep Unity 5 open to check things where necessary and to see the actual difference.

Thanks for the help!

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

3. twobob

twobob

I run
    4.6 <-- general compliance, 2D work and non PBR stuff. (or latest full 4.x release)
    5_0f4 <-- So the webplayer builds will work. (or latest full release)
    5_0p2<-- So I can help test the new stuff. Read the caveats. (or latest patch)

Many authors run many more versions than that.

Simply select a unique Install Folder at install time...
    NOTE: this doesn't even have to be your main drive thusly:

NotOnMainDrive.JPG

for convenience make separate links to the launchers
    separateLinks.JPG

The only real (non patch version) caveats are in inter-version conversion intricacies for example: Standard Assets parts like skinned models (YMMV), some of the Full Screen FX naming conventions changed very slightly between certain versions. Not really biggies though if you roll your own versions of things.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Thanks, Aurore and twobob for the excellent help! That will be a nice little project for tomorrow :)