Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 for production ¿?

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by ddfire, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ddfire

ddfire

hi,
    i am working on a project, and just got the beta...
    I want to ask your opinion about to use unity 4 Beta for production...
    My concern came because we didn't started YET with the animations, and the new animation system mecanic looks very good, we have tons of biped characters, and be able to copy the animations from one to other (if i understand ok the new system benefices) will be great for us.

And of course all the bugs and fixes for Android, IOS and Web Player.

What do you think? is a good bet or is shooting in my foot?

Thanks!!!

2. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

It depends on how far you are into development, if you have a deadline etc. If you are doing your work for a client I suggest waiting.
    It's your call, but in general it's a bad idea, that's why it's called a beta and not final.

3. ddfire

ddfire

i am in the middle of the development didn't start with the GUI yet, only a lot of C# scripts and so far 100% compatible with unity 4. (for what i read in the changes)

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If it were me, and I was not shipping immediately, and had a ton of bipedal humanoid characters and I had a 4.0 pro license - I'd know I would targeting my animations to use mecanim. Mecanim is robust and powerful and currently best suited for bipedal humanoids. Relying on a beta to ship immediately can be risky. I trust 4.0, when it releases, will be a fine platform to ship from. If your production schedule will cover the release of 4.0, I would plan on using mecanim, and as such, I'd be very tempted to use 4.0 knowing I'd be trading off immediate problems with beta gear for the advantage of having my project in mecanim from the beginning.

5. ddfire

ddfire

the dead line is at the end of october...