Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. tango209

tango209

Someone may have posted this link already, but I don't have time to comb through the 15 pages here already. :) The licenses matrix is updated with Unity4 features shown across all versions here:

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

2. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Ohhhhh....so I've been wrong about that the entire time?! Wow.

Lol. My bad :D

3. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

It would provide the information in a more easily understandable way. Maybe a "compare version x against version y" checkbox would address both the desire to provide all of the information in one place with a site visitor's desire to better understand what they're reading.

4. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yea, I posted pictures of it :)

200th post! Oh yeah! :p

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

As a single user, sure, it's fine. Using git + Unity in a small team has proved to be a series of anything from minor, easily fixable conflicts to recurring nightmare-inducing merges.

6. pivotraze

pivotraze

Oh! New question for you good folk in this forum!

My Unity 3.5 30-day trial has ended since a while ago. When Unity 4 comes out, will I get another 30-day trial for Unity 4 pro?

I would be a single person, so it will work fine! :)

7. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

I would very much link to see a side-by-side comparison of 3.x Pro 4.x Pro features. The license detail page doesn't not currently list 3.5 Pro on the license comparison page I'm seeing.

8. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I mis-read the "$200 voucher for the Online Store!" as "$200 voucher for the Asset Store!".

That would have been awesome :p

9. pivotraze

pivotraze

I know. They still haven't done the 3.5 Pro on the license comparison lists. I still don't understand why.

10. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Wow this thread exploded...

OK just finished reading through...

At this time, I'm afraid I cant afford the upgrade (unless I manage to sell a few thousand cumulative copies of all my games accross all platforms ;))

At a future date I may do the jump, but I got one huge question: lets say the rumors are true and Apple releases a new aspect ratio for their "iPhone 5", will just publishing with "use native resolution" under 3.5 make it just.... well... work using the native resolution?

11. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

You'll get a trial of 4, it's a new product.

12. Slem

Slem

No new GUI-system... Well I guess the NGUI guys are laughing all the way to the bank. :D

13. pivotraze

pivotraze

Thank you very much :)

14. Chaoss

Chaoss

Yeh not all of us here are great with money, and if we have it we spend it lol. we need things like subscriptions

15. pivotraze

pivotraze

I'm pretty good with money.
    But I'm 16. heh

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This definitely sounds good... lately, I've had to copy animation from a five foot character to a 7 foot character and it has been very painful... I also use a Null Based rig as well... now my next question is, are there any improvements to the cloth in Unity... Skinned cloth has a great concept of painting the verts you want to be cloth, but it should collide with geometry... similar to Maya cloth. And Interactive cloth has issues with the cloth anchors shifting even if it is parented...

17. Khyrid

Khyrid

I made a thread dedicated to this subject, go vote on it.

18. Moonjump

Moonjump

This is also my concern. For how long will Unity 3 iOS users keep getting fixes to allow them to upload apps using the latest iOS versions? The rumoured new iPhone resolution is a major thing that would need supporting. Initial iOS 6 support needs are also likely to be large. I seem to remember Unity 2 users have to do some major tinkering to get things to work not long after 3 was released.

I see a couple of features in Unity 4, but none that make me want upgrade. I expected to see a new GUI system in 3.x, now we are only getting "GUI optimisations" in 4. I've totally abandoned the GUI systems to get resolution independence, optimisations probably won't solve that. Dynamic fonts on mobile is the only thing that interests me. I can live without that for the cost.

19. Chaoss

Chaoss

link?

20. goat

goat

$250 upgrade cost for each for Android and iOS license is ludicrious. Even more so that I have to do both of them together. Those that bought before the give-away are not being asked to retroactively pay for the freebie licenses give-away.

21. taumel

taumel

Kind of a two sided sword.

Nice: Some of the V4 stuff.

Bad: Broken promises on V3, not working in a reliable way in some areas, unsure when all the for V4 advertised features will work, maybe in another you have to pay for V5 update then?

Therefore is feels shady.

22. Morning

Morning

And they deserve all they can get. NGUI is simply amazing.

23. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

You don't. That was a store glitch :D

24. Tseng

Tseng

I think it's less of an issue of the features are available to 4.0 free or Pro, but that a feature which was announced for over an year to be done in 3.x is no even postponed for some 4.x release, basically forcing anyone to upgrade it who even remotely thinks doing anything with mobiles to switch over there, even though it was advertised as 3.x feature. I'm of course talking about the new GUI, as we all can agree, that the current GUI system is just useless for anything than prototyping.

I personally don't have Pro yet, mainly because of the stupid license system (I only need Android Pro, I have no use for Unity Pro, as I'm not having any PC projects which require pro features... But I can't spent 3000$ for both Unity Pro and Android Pro. Just Android Pro would be fine), but I can imagine that people may get angry who got just a half product - namely the NavMesh - and having to upgrade for the other half.

All of the other features are nice, but the current 3.5 build is quite broken and just halfway done and I'm sure that the new features may be worth the upgrade (when the people get the money - after all, most of the Unity3d users are small indie developers who can't afford immediately upgrading), but it's just wrong to force people to upgrade because of features which were advertised for 3.x series

Linux support is better than it may sounds, especially for Indie developers.

The Humble Bundle, one of the favorite places for Indies to sell their Indie games, has quite some requirements to qualify for it. One being: The games which get sold in the Humble Bundle must run on Mac OS, Windows and linux. A linux support definitely gives this developers the requirements necessary to participate in the Humble Bundle sales.

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You got a free license of iOS and Android Basic for 3.5. It's your choice to upgrade them or not. People that bought the licenses before the give-away also have to pay for an upgrade so why would you feel cheated?

And you do not have to upgrade them at the same time. That was a mistake on the store that will be corrected shortly.

26. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

I'd be very curious to hear how Unity (the company) is going to address these concerns, as they are the reason my interest in upgrading is non-existent. After already spending over $4k (a lot for one person) for 2.x, then the 3.x upgrade plus the asset store and third-party tool purchases just to get features 3.x was advertised as having/getting, most of my goodwill for the "startup" Unity is gone. Combine that with the price of 2D/3D tools to make actual game content, and I may as well pay for an Unreal license.

Navmesh concerns are real. As are GUI concerns. As Taumel says above, lots of broken promises on 3.x. 3.5 came out February of this year. Already a 4.x release? Shady indeed.

27. pivotraze

pivotraze

So you've spent nigh on $700,000?

28. Per

Per

OK, thanks for the info.

29. Trikona23

Trikona23

Asking 850 for an upgrade for existing users is taking the piss a bit ....Id expect it from Autodesk but not UT

If it was around the 400 mark Id have upgraded but 850 is going overboard....Ill stick with 3.5 thanks.

30. goat

goat

The big thing with the Indy crowd is to help them by making all of the Mecanim features part of Unity Free. Or at least making them available to those that purchase iOS/Android Basic licenses; not that I have any use for those features myself.

31. increpare

increpare

Ouch. Upgrade costs kinda price me out, short of a financial windfall. It was kind of a nice feeling, being on the premium software bandwagon. Will have to think long and hard about what to do.

32. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

That's not what an Unreal license costs. Definitely not for their indie license.

33. danXforx

danXforx

so what does that mean for NGUI in unity 4 ,should we stop using it? ,is GUI system more powerful in unity 4 ?

34. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

The built in GUI system is supposedly faster, not comparable to NGUI.

35. pivotraze

pivotraze

Their "indie" license is $99, and 25% after $50,000. IMHO, I'd prefer that over paying $1,500 for a license.

Yes, I know UDK is not UE in that way. Good luck getting a UE license.

36. Tanel

Tanel

The system hasn't changed, they optimized it etc. It's up to you what to use.

37. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The base feature set of Mecanim is indeed available for free. You would be surprised how much you can do with that.

38. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

This may have been more true prior to the release of the last bundle, which was only about half actual "indie" games, and those were all the rockstars of indie gaming. I'd be very surprised if anyone who played games didn't know about all of them already, in some cases years ago - assuming they haven't been living in a cave since 2006.

39. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Good news everyone!

The store has now been fixed. It is now possible to do partial upgrades of your license.

40. pivotraze

pivotraze

Heh. You got a point.

The Humble Indie Bundle V included:
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Bastion
    LIMBO
    Psychonauts
    Sword and Sworcery

Of those 5... maybe 1 or 2 is true indie? If that? haha

41. Stardog

Stardog

I only bought Unity 3.5 4 months ago... Feeling a bit ripped off. Dynamic navmesh avoidance should surely be updated into 3.5.

Mecanim looks good, but where's visual programming with an FSM?

I hope the Asset Store isn't delaying the implementation of some features. This was my biggest fear. "There's a GUI system in the AS, so we'll just forget that for now."

I think visual programming and a new GUI system would be bigger game-changers than anything listed for Unity 4.

42. metaphysician

metaphysician

last i've heard UDK is $99 up to $50K in revenue (not profit) after $50K it's 25% of your subsequent revenue. so it depends on your revenue stream as to whether Unity is the better deal.

43. Moonjump

Moonjump

If I remember correctly, upgrading to Unity 3 from 2 was 50% of the new purchase price. Has the percentage changed? Or is it an indication that the full prices will rise to twice the upgrade prices?

44. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Unity "indie" license is $0.00, with 0% after $50,000. What's UDK's pro costs?

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

How are Sword and Sworcery, Bastion, LIMBO, or Amnesia not indie?

46. chipnuts

chipnuts

I have tried searching the (at this point) 15+ pages of this thread, but figured I'd ask anyway. Is there going to be some kind of 'grace' period for people who just bought their Pro licenses. I generally don't mind upgrade pricing as I have Adobe and Autodesk stuff that have their own upgrade schedules. Luckily though, there's usually a 'tell' by them that can lead people to postulate when the next release is coming out. We don't seem to have that with Unity. Hell, you can even tell around when Apple is going to release new stuff.

Companies like Adobe and Autodesk offer either free upgrades or heavier discounts to people who bought the current version usually 30 days prior to the announcement (notice I didn't say release, but announcement) of the next version. I just bought my pro license for 3.5 literally 2 weeks ago and if I had an idea at all, I would've waited until today to purchase my upgrade. I also got the iOS and Android giveaways, which I would be happy to pay to upgrade considering I did acquire them many more months ago. But to pay $1350 to upgrade everything does seem pretty steep. That's almost a full license cost when I literally JUST paid $1500. Even with Adobe/Autodesk subscriptions and upgrades, my combined cost is less than $1350 a year.

Unity is quite a fine product and I realize they're more comparable to Unreal or CryEngine as far as type of software (and comparatively Unity is cheaper) , but I'm comparing them to Adobe/Autodesk regarding their licensing and similar seeming business model. I also realize we're just now coming up on release 4 while some of these other programs have been around awhile to maybe generate lower costs, but it is a pretty high maintenance cost, in my opinion. Now I just hope that iOS 6 will be supported with current software...

47. pivotraze

pivotraze

But to have some comparable features that UDK has, it reaches up to the thousands.

UDK Pro? No such thing. UDK Free = UDK Pro. UDK is $99 up front, and then 25% after 50,000.

Unity, to have features like occlusion culling, and other powerful features that UDK has, is $1,500, then $500 for iOS.

A lot more up front. I prefer having money taken from my wholesale price, than paying a bunch up front. :)

Well, they do it by wholesale price. So, say you release on Steam. Say steam takes 30% of your sale. Epic takes 25% of what you get AFTER steam takes your cut AFTER you make $50,000 total.

48. pivotraze

pivotraze

They are major and pulled in lots of money. Well, Amensia did. I'm not sure about the other 3.

49. metaphysician

metaphysician

what i'm curious about is whether Meccanim can be extended to include other types of classes and behaviors other than animation. maybe the engine is too specific, but it would be interesting to see how hackable/integrateable the system is.

50. goat

goat

That would work say if they let you 'lease' a license, like computers are leased by many big companies, and then buy the license outright at the end of a year, say in 4 payments of $400.

The other model where they give the engine away for free and then get a cut of profits wouldn't work. Most games don't make money. Other companies have done this to win a share of the indy market, being already established in the console market.