Search Unity

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. pivotraze

pivotraze

At the loving crew of Unity3D...

What do you think of what me and other people have come up with as a payment plan?

The OPTION to have a cut of all the profits made from our games (up to the Unity3D Pro cost price, I would hope).
    Month-by-month payments for it, up to Unity3D Pro price, and some interest?

:)

2. kenlem

kenlem

So how long is upgrade pricing good for? I need to ransack a few couches for spare change.

3. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

I purchased the 3.x release before its release date, so that hit to my bank account makes its release date stick in my head pretty clearly.

Putting "FREE" in all caps does not make it a big deal. Most companies releases free updates for their software, many of which add new features and fix previous bugs. Am I supposed to be impressed because Unity does the same? Because I'm not.

People seem excited about official Linux support, but that market is so small in terms of game sales that I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. The argument that now people can more easily make games for that platform doesn't really stand up when looking at the history of gaming on that platform.

The jump in features between 2.x and 3.x was substantial, and was easier to justify the cost of the upgrade. I just don't see it this time. The table Pivotraze posted also seems inaccurate, as some of the features shown as not supported in 3.5 most definitely are. Maybe that's a mobile-specific chart?

4. pivotraze

pivotraze

The option to have it to pay for Unity 3D Pro would be nice :)

5. Khyrid

Khyrid

Activate emergency caps lock. I DID NOT SAY TO REPLACE THE CURRENT SYSTEM. Disengage emergency cap-lock. But add another option. You may not want unity to have a cut, I may not give a crap. Different licences for different peoples.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The offer runs from June 18 until midnight July 9 PST.

7. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Initially some IK will be supported with plans for more down the line.

As an example, at GDC I showed a demo which used no markup besides physics colliders and navmesh to have a bunch of characters running around, jumping up and down boxes of various sizes - choosing between a range of different jumps and doing foot and hand placement when appropriate.

8. jeffweber

jeffweber

Simple question:

I currently have a license for Unity Pro 3.5 and Unity iOS Pro 3.5

Can/Should I upgrade Unity Pro 3.5 to Unity Pro 4.0, then apply the 200 voucher to the iOS Pro 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade?

Great work on the new version... only thing I'm itching for is Windows RT(Metro) support... will throw more money at you for that! :)

9. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yea, I see some features in Unity 3.5 that aren't listed as being available on the table. That confuses me, but it DOES make the confusion less overall for Unity 4 Pro vs Unity 4 Free vs Unity 3.5 :)

P.S. I told everyone I would be the first to know! ;D After the good people at Unity3D of course.. heh

10. J_P_

J_P_

We already have multiplayer networking... one of my first Unity projects was an online FPS :)

11. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

;)

12. pivotraze

pivotraze

Wait... there are other topics going on in the Unity Forums, huh? haha

Gonna go check some :)

13. J_P_

J_P_

That's just for the $200 credit for future license purchases, right?

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

though it would make sense till unity gets proper streaming of lod. as long as it loads all versions into RAM its a trade off of 'rendering details' vs 'ram bloat'

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

(from earlier in this thread)

16. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Initially (and currently) that was not allowed, turns out it was a bug not meant to happen and they're fixing it now... So yes, but just make sure to wait store page updated... :)

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes.

18. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

Thanks for the reply, Emil. I wouldn't think there would be a point in selling to anyone, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, either. Perhaps I'm just frustrated about not receiving all of the features promised for 3.x, and seeing a major one (GUI tool updates) now being listed as in the next upgrade, when those new tools were one of the reasons I upgraded to 3.x in the first place and then ended up having to go with a third-party solution when those tools never came, is beyond irritating. The lack of explanation as to why this has been pushed off, when it's obviously possible to do (see: NGUI), doesn't help. "Making a generalized game engine is hard" doesn't explain why I can load extremely detailed 3D models, slathered in shaders and animation, but still have to kludge a way to rotate 2D GUI text.

19. metaphysician

metaphysician

certainly one would like a fairer upgrade price (staggered payments/subscription would be a great idea) but this IS the business model for nearly every game engine worth referring to as far as i know. C4 has certain benefits with some of their licenses, but from what i have seen is not keeping up feature-wise. some engines even have per release licenses which gets even more expensive.

i think that an increasing number of usable solutions to a lot of the Unity feature complaints will be available via the Asset Store. there's a ton of useful stuff there, and we'll see what the future holds. complaining about Unity's licensing restrictions/upgrade is really unrealistic when subscription models dominate the content creation industry. it's not going to change anytime soon. that being said, Unity offers more functionality, ease of use, and expandability for free than almost any product out there that i know of. in general with their licensing issues they tend to get more right than wrong - they don't create a broken, crippled free product, and the add-on licenses are pretty reasonable, although i do wish some kind of discount for buying addons in a bundle was possible.

honestly i just hope that Unity doesn't get bought by Adobe or Microsoft because you'd really start seeing unfair upgrade costs at that point quite likely.

20. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Wait, so is AntennaTree contradicting himself? What's actually happening with the LOD?

21. eedok

eedok

Will the number of licenses per purchase be increased to 3 for this release(as right now it's 2 with the rationale desktop and laptop, and I know there's quite a few of us that have Desktop/Laptop/Mac, also doesn't help that mac and windows on the same macbook counts as 2 activations)

22. pivotraze

pivotraze

Does/Will Unity ever support Git as an external version control system?

23. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Indeed. As always :)

24. elbows

elbows

I'm absolutely gutted by the upgrade cost. Over the entire lifetime of the 4.x its likely to be worth it I suppose, but Im finding it very hard to swallow right now.

One of the reasons I feel this way is that I absolutely love buying things from the asset store, and with the new animation system there should be loads more potential for selling both models and animations. I want to be both a buyer and a seller in this market, and the last thing I wanted to see was a situation where some 3.x Pro customers hesitate to upgrade.

OK its not the biggest issue in the world and will diminish over time, but I was really hoping to give Unity more like $500 for the Pro (desktop) upgrade and then give them many more $100's over time via their cut of the asset store purchases I would make.

If I had a grander scale of income from my development then Id be less likely to grumble, which makes me wonder whether there should be a 'Unity Pro Indie' option which has almost all of the pro features but has a lower maximum turnover $ figure. Obviously Unity will have a much better idea than me about the scope of such a potential market, whether there are many out there who would be willing to spend $ for a Pro desktop option but not as much as the current Pro option, and whether such a market would have a knock on effect in terms of number of people buying selling asset store stuff that only works with Pro. I doubt its been a giant issue to date but I do wonder if some of the 4.x Pro features will start to make this more of an issue for some.

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

AFAIK LOD in 3.5 is a Pro only feature. And AFAIK that's not changing for 4.0.

26. J_P_

J_P_

Unity can work decently with git

27. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

Linux Support.OMG !!!Finally!!Now I can stop using windows:D

28. pivotraze

pivotraze

Well, not for developing the game :) Only when you are going to play a Unity 3D game.

Thanks :) I was just reading the Store for Version Control System, and it didn't mention Git :p

29. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Yes.

30. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Sorry not yet :)

Deployment target only, no editor support in Linux yet...

31. Khyrid

Khyrid

Still, they would have nothing to lose by giving a third licence option that replaces subscription with a cut of profits and more people would be happy.

32. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

It says Linux export - not native Linux Unity, if I am not mistaken.

On another not: AWESOME!!!! :)
    I don't know whether I should thank or congratulate Unity on the new features.

33. Chaoss

Chaoss

I would LOVE a subscription feature where we can choose to pay monthly or per quarter, It'd make Unity Tech MORE money, and open the doors to Unity Pro for us lesser able to just spent £1k

34. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Indeed, making "free" in caps doesn't make it better... however many seem to forget that having new features as well as bug-fixing for a period of almost 2 years isn't always the case in all software. More often than not, new features are not free. No one is saying that Unity impresses, they are just above standard. Could be a lot worst.

As for the chart; It's comparing Unity 4.0 Pro / 4.0 Free / 3.5 FREE. (yes caps are relevant here). Still some minor errors in some cells though.

35. pivotraze

pivotraze

That's what I'm praying for :)

I might be able to do monthly/quaterly, but definitely not $1,500 in one go lol

36. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

Unity BARELY works with Git. Let's be honest about it. While the theory is that Unity can now work with Non-Unity-made version control and asset management software, Git is not really one of them, unfortunately. Make sure you're working with text-based and not binary assets, for starts. Constant conflicts will still occur but will be easier to manage...but they will happen. Often. Like, all the time.

37. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

A lack of render-to-texture support in Unity Free makes me sad. That's been a major hurdle in my current project since it's the only way to achieve a certain effect I need.

38. J_P_

J_P_

Edit>Project Settings>Editor and set version control to meta files. I also set Asset Serialization to Force Text.

39. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

We're not all that picky. We can handle both ;)

40. pivotraze

pivotraze

I honestly don't get why they don't compare Unity 4.0 Pro - Unity 3.5 Pro - Unity 4.0 Free - Unity 3.5 Free

Would seriously clear up ALL confusion lol

41. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Really? I've used git for my Unity projects since we first added external support to pro.

42. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I use Unity 3.5 free. Is this not LOD?

43. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

What extra information would that give you?

44. J_P_

J_P_

No, that's not LOD. That's Quality Settings

45. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

No those are just quality settings. LOD is this.

46. pivotraze

pivotraze

No no no :)

That's D̶E̶T̶A̶I̶L̶ graphics graphics level.

LOD = Level of D̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ Detail. How far you can see, how objects look at a further distance than a closer distance, etc...

aNTeNNa trEE beat me to it :\

47. amit1532

amit1532

I think its level of DETAIL

48. pivotraze

pivotraze

Oops. You are right. My bad :)

49. amit1532

amit1532

Its alright, i forgive you :>

50. QFS

QFS

I'm not too impressed. This is reminding me of the slippery slide of GG/Torque. Investors and shareholders pushing to maximize profits while slowly making the product come out faster, and tighter deadlines.

Nice try but both of your statements have a major flaw. Your license might be valid for all of eternity ... but what happens if you run into a show stopping bug ... its not going to get fixed, therefore you will be forced to upgrade or abandon your project.

So its more like buying a car, and it all of a sudden wont move forward, only reverse, and you realize there are no mechanics to help you fix it.