Search Unity

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. helios

helios

Thanks for the reply. Ok yea, so that is where I was confused. When I log in to the store with my account, I now see I can upgrade to iOS Pro for $980 and Unity Pro for $1500. Would the voucher apply here then? If I purchase the Unity Pro for $1500, get the $200 voucher, could I then get iOS Pro for $780?? Confused why it is saying $980 for iOS Pro and not $1500.

2. diddykonga

diddykonga

^ This, why isnt it we still dont have a newer version of Mono? comon UT :L

3. Tseng

Tseng

Exactly. But you have to make two purchases. First only purchase Unity Pro. Then wait until you get the voucher. Then purchase the iOS pro and apply the voucher (there is a "Rebate/Voucher code" field on the right side of the shop)

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'm sure they will in 4.x be patient.

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

Never heard of Meego. Googling it now...

All Linux distros (or at least most of them), do genuinely want to be a platform. It's just that Billy Gates's company tells hardware vendors to put Windows on their machines, as well as a lack of consumer knowledge about Linux, that prevents its installation on computers.

I work with Linux and GNU on a weekly basis, and really like what they're trying to achieve, even if it'll take awhile to get there.

6. VicM

VicM

Last week I checked the upgrade price for Android Pro and iOS Pro 4.x and it was $1350, today I checked it again and it was $980. Pretty amazing! I got mine today, but I don´t know why it changed so much during that short time. A bit unfair for the guys who got their lic. last week. And based on the FAQs and Unity 4 information, You could get iOS Pro for $780 applying your voucher.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I doubt we will see an update in mono during the cycle as well, they dont like breaking our games in minor versions but in major version well... ;)

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141221-Unity-4-upgrade-pricing-change

9. pragmascript

pragmascript

is there a chance of 3d texture support beeing patched to unity 3.5.x?

i guess not ;)

10. eduardo-pons

eduardo-pons

I'm impressed with the results so far of the new GUI presented in the blog post!

I've come up with a solution of my own pretty close to the announced today!

I would like to know how or if unity4 will address these "issues":

- 1 draw call command for each element with texture instead of 1 draw call for all (or most) of the GUI
    - Masking of elements using an alpha texture (without these elements being inside the container assigned as a mask)
    - Filter effects (blur, glow, outline, ...)
    - Vector draw routines (lines, shapes, gradients, textured polygons, round cornered shapes)
    - This would be great to store the draw commands instead of the texture itself.

**Edit
    - Allow users to change the font material and set a custom shader for Dynamic and Texture Fonts

Keep the great work!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. goat

goat

When I upgraded iOS and Android Basic the upgrade pricing for iOS and Android Pro disappear (went from $998 to $1100). I wasn't offered a discount on Unity Pro because I have Unity Free.

And I recall asking and receiving the answer that I could upgrade the different add-ons seperately (that's why that updated the web store recently).

12. goat

goat

There is a discount from $1100 to $998 BUT you have to upgrade directly from Basic 3.x to Pro 4.0. So you'll need to buy Unity Pro 4.0 first and then upgrade from iOS or Android Basic 3.x to iOS or Android Pro 4.0.

If you already upgraded to Basic 4.0 that discount disappears.

13. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

14. SevenBits

SevenBits

Simply amazing. Do you have an ETA?

I'd love to beta if that's possible.

15. goat

goat

I saw that. It looks easier to use and nicer than I thought.

I'm thinking it will allow designing GUIs that are minimalistic with words and localizations. Like traffic / highway signs I guess I'm saying.

16. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Nice graphics...

Very good, free GUI graphics :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

18. taumel

taumel

Why isn't it worth an announcement?

Why am i not able to update it via the editor?

19. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

If I remember correctly, you have to redownload the whole thing again anyway. At least that's what I had to do.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The update notification shows up in my editor.

21. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Wow that new GUI looks awesome...judging from the looks of it, it might just be awesome enough to justify the amount of time we all spent waiting for it. :D

22. Arowx

Arowx

Will it support lists, grids, 9 segment re-sizeable panels, multi-page, be extendible?

23. Chaoss

Chaoss

The new GUI looks absolutely killer

24. ZJP

ZJP

@Unity Tech.

Stramit the developer of SSE (Strumpy Shader Editor) now works for Unity. What about the integration of an Shader Editor in Unity 4?

JP

25. Chaoss

Chaoss

+1 on this also that would be really nice

26. unityasoft

unityasoft

Well said

27. Tiles

Tiles

That`s exactly what i did. But i would have around 50 other ideas to improve Unity. Means even when i put my ten votes at ten different ideas, you would block my other 40 ideas. And at this point i simply gave up at your feedback system. From my angle of view it looks like you are not interested in User Feedback. But more to block them, so that you don`t need to read through too much nonsense.

Just in case you haven`t noticed it yet, i am very unhappy with Unity Feedback. At least in its current incarnation :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  28. taumel

taumel

On one system the update via editor didn't work.

Btw. it looks like the new GUI could be a good improvement, thanks for finally sharing some more info on it. The only negative thing i read about was that there was no vector format support.

Thinking of the radar in the lower right corner, will it also be possible to add functionality to it like a real 3d radar, like in ELITE, where you don't use a flat representation but instead the graph expands on the y-axis according to the opponents y-positions?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  29. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yet the system does exactly what it is meant to do: Get users to vote on and put their voice behind their MOST IMPORTANT requests, not every random blurp they would have use for at the time or last week or next week.
    This ensures that '1 project beneficial features' normally don't rank anywhere on it, only stuff thats of more general use, cause its those features that get added. Genre specific features will likely never be added, thats what the Asset store is for.

The only thing that could be done to make it better is grant users that were part of a 'successfully accepted feedback feature' get an additional point after its acceptance. But this would require that user age on votes is tracked as just giving it to all that at the last minute joined would lead to missuse.

Also I am really happy to see the UDN happen so this stupid fake account generation just to get linux support to the top is finally cut. What happened there was absolutely laughable, to see how the feedback system got driven ad absurdum thanks to the random account generation capability of the system.
    I would actually go a step further and bind the voting to user accounts and only give votes to users that spent at least $50 on either the store and asset store, to rule out fake accounts even further and would make vote faking rather costly.
    For any hobbiest really using unity this wouldn't cause a problem in any form, but for any pirate and freerider this would either be an incentive to take part in Unity or to be heard as much as they deserve it.
    At the same time though I would vote actively against anything that would give higher grossing users more votes, cause that would skew the results once again. Beyond a given amount of votes per entity the outcome becomes useless / noise

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  30. helios

helios

Ok, so do I need to make a completely new purchase for Unity Pro 4.0 (without entering my current serial number) in order to get the $200 voucher? And then upgrade my existing license (iOS Basic 3.x) to iOS Pro for $980 and apply the voucher? Would that work? Don't see how my iOS license would then be tied to the new Pro 4.0 one.

31. unityasoft

unityasoft

Ok I am a Unity3D Pro user.. I have been using unity for a very long time. I have a pro license for the editor. I am happy to pay an additional $1500 for 4.0.

I do not own any mobile licenses or flash etc. My concern is about the people who bought a mobile license and then have to pay for that license again? I mean its not a stand-alone editor its just to build your game onto that platform. why does one have to pay for a new mobile license every x.0 release, sure i can get a mobile license and it won't really effect me, I'm concerned about someone who has.

I love unity. I love what they used to stand for.

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

As I said, you don't, it's $750, or $600 if you upgrade before July 31. Same for other licenses.

You don't pay for the license again, you pay an upgrade fee. While I personally would charge less for the additional platform licenses (rather than 100% of Unity Pro price), it makes sense to have upgrade fees, because they require continuous additional work to keep up with OS and hardware changes, aside from adding new features.

--Eric

33. unityasoft

unityasoft

Yes I know I know, I'm saying I'm happy with the upgrade price even if it was $2000...I'm saying its not fair to have to buy a platform build license for every new release..

Scenario:
    Buy Unity3D Pro 3.x 2010
    Buy iPhone Pro 2011

Buy Unity3D Pro 4.x 2012
    already own a iPhone license.
    Probably buy a Android License for $4000000000 but if its one off its a little more fair.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  34. SevenBits

SevenBits

Wow. That's a gigantic statement.

35. helios

helios

Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks!

36. Deborha

Deborha

I bought 3.5 Pro on May 25, just heard today that they will not give me upgrade to 4.0, since I bought 3.5 five days too soon (they are giving free upgrade if you bought it June 1 or after), is very pissed off that my 1 month old product is already out of date.. this is no way to run a company.. a very very unhappy customer.

37. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

No reason to double-post we're monitoring both announcement threads. However I'll respond here like I did in the other thread:

This always happens.

We do usually have a grace period, but can not extend it. Where would that end? What about the guy who bought a couple of days before that extended date?

38. taumel

taumel

You could work with a double sieve:

a) The official grace period you already offer.
    b) Having a extended silent internal grace period for those who complain.

39. ZJP

ZJP

+1

40. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Tim's working on the new GUI system now. Would you rather delay that again and have him work on a shader editor instead? *ducks*

41. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

That's a great idea! Let's do that ;)

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

43. Deborha

Deborha

A reputable company would announce that an upgrade was coming and that the software I was buying would have additional charges within 30 days to stay current. Additionally, another team member has received two different price quotes to upgrade his license. It seems that you guys didn't really think this through or have your story straight internally. Seriously? This no way to do business... An even more unhappy customer ..

44. ZJP

ZJP

Oh....GUI.....Again....Collateral damage. :(

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  45. Moonjump

Moonjump

They have announced an upgrade is coming. Unity 3 is still the current version. They are allowing pre-orders, not orders of Unity 4.

46. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Don't worry Deborha, after talking with these people they will explain that...

1) Its your own fault.
    2) You didn't get screwed its a figment of your imagination.
    3) You got what you paid for so shutup.
    4) Misc. apologizing, analogies, but no solution, you're screwed, goodbye.

47. Morning

Morning

But do we get the ability to define custom conditional compiling keywords?

48. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

In 4.0, yes.

49. albertwang

albertwang

This is really great news, thanks!

50. Deborha

Deborha

Thanks Verax, I removed my rose colored glasses and saw it for what it is, they could give a crap about one new customer being screwed, and can only hope they made enough out of the deal to hire someone to answer the phone that works in "customer service".