Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What will it take to move the 2D project beyond `thinking about` and into implementation? Is it really at the beginning stages right now and thus probably not going to be fully developed for another 1-2 years? I'd love to be a part of shaping Unity's 2D future/feature set somehow.

2. diese440

diese440

Prices have lowered => YES and now, please stop to cry :D

Until 9 of July, i think... Ooouuups, dixit aNTeNNa trEE : end of July ! Cool !

3. pkid

pkid

I just upgraded and the new price to upgrade pro is $600. To upgrade my IOS and Android (basic) licenses was only $100 each. So $800 total. All in all a good deal.

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

5. yls

yls

Noob question and I'm a bit lazy to read the 78 previous pages to check.

I want to pre order an 4.x iOS license basic today. Will i be able
    1 to use the iOS 3.x standard and move to the 4.x for free when it will be release,
    2 use it with my 3.x free version today and 4.x free version later ?

6. SilentOne001

SilentOne001

Just got word about the price changes and I had to check them out for myself. A $600 upgrade is definitely more inline with what I was initially expecting. I really do hope upgrade costs continue to stay around that price point. That couple hundred dollar difference might not see like a big deal to some people, but it is HUGE to someone like me. It looks like I'm going to have to start saving for Unity 4 after all. :D Thank you Unity Team for listening to the forums. That is the kind of customer care that made me buy Unity 2 a few years ago. I really appreciate it.

That being said, I still think there are some things that still need to be addressed.

-The plans for future updates need to be more clear. I know some Unity members were saying the raging in this thread will discourage new roadmaps, but I think the exact opposite needs to happen. There should be very clear distinctions about what will be guaranteed in Unity 4 and what you guys hope will be Unity 4. More importantly, on the release of Unity 4, I think there should be a guarantee about how many major updates this version will receive. So if you promise five free major updates, user will know they will be receiving 4.1.x/ 4.2.x/ 4.3.x/ 4.4.x/ 4.5.x

That way users can have an idea of when a new version of Unity will be dropping. It also doesn't hold the Unity Team to a strict timeline either, because you don't have to immediately give a date for all those updates.

-Another problem is how the addon licenses are handled. As others here have suggested, I think they should each become their own independent version of Unity in the future(Unity 5/6). If every major version of Unity is roughly going to have a two year cycle, it makes more sense to sell platform specific licenses. Because in reality, people with an iOS Pro license probably aren't targeting the desktop audience during that time-frame.

So in the future, people who only wanted to target mobile could just buy iOS Pro/Android Pro. While people targeting web could get a flash and web-player license. Then people targeting Windows/OS X could get a "desktop" license.

Just something to think about. Thanks again for listening.

7. kenlem

kenlem

Way to listen and respond!

I was dreading the thought of not using Pro 4 now I'm going to upgrade. Phew!

8. tatoforever

tatoforever

If you pre-order Unity4, you'll get a valid 3.X - 4.X license Key. So it will work on both. :D

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Trololo

10. Yann

Yann

Just saw David's posts : great reaction, as always with Unity ! :D

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

But you can always install bootcamp to run windows...
    Some ppl say a panda dies in China everytime someone installs a windows on a Mac though.

12. DaneC020

DaneC020

Thanks David for all your hard work and helping the community out with this adjustment. I have just placed my orders! :)

-Dane

13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Presumably by DX11 you mean ShaderModel 5 or 6? And OpenGL probably supports that too for Mac?

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

By DX11 he meant DX11. The idea is to be able to test Windows DX11 builds on a Mac, which he currently can't do because of the 9400M. It's simply a hardware problem.

--Eric

15. PedroGV

PedroGV

I do have iGUI basic and it does a fine job, but it is not fast enough for some scenarios and I don´t know whether it is optimized for GC. I was waiting for this GUI solution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnyoBoVVlhU) but it never made it into the AssetStore.

The thing is that I cannot afford upgrading to pro when, as I said before, to build your GUI on Unity you also have to buy third-party plugins. If the jump from 3.5 to 4 included a new full GUI system, I would gladly upgrade to Pro asap. I repeat, I believe all the additions/improvements to Unity are really welcome, but on the GUI-side of things it still falls short; how many more major versions (and upgrades) will we have to wait (and pay) until we see a complete solution?

Well, I guess it could be also used for Microsoft Surface tablets and WP8 devices.

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

...Which use Windows.

--Eric

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

DX11 means SM5, DX10 is SM4.
    Is there any SM6 at all?

And OpenGL doesn't change, will remain on OpenGL 3.2 from what mentioned (thats as far as osx goes and linux likely will have more important things to worry about for an undefined amount of time)

18. taumel

taumel

I'm looking forward for the day when i download a new Unity version, i start it up and it amazes me to a degree that i feel the desire to write an article again, one were i can finally say wow at the end. I was kind of happy with 3.5 in the beginning and its obvious limitations like that for instance the pathfinding wasn't dynamic but as i dug deeper into it, it caused issues here and there as well.

As for we underestimated 2D and GUI, well, you have been told for years, and even if you ignored that, you just need to take a look at what people release.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  19. Moonjump

Moonjump

Some great posts by David and other Unity guys, plus revised upgrade prices. I'm really happy. Thank you.

20. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

One thing that I am quite sure UT didnt fix is the loading of NavMeshes when loading additive levels.
    It must be just like beast, the lightmap from the additive scene loads fine... But NavMeshes arent added from the loaded scene.

If they did fix that, congrats; but I didn't find anything about it on the list so I guess they don't even know about it.

21. Farfarer

Farfarer

Wow, that's really awesome of you David and the rest of Unity. Great stuff :D

For $100 a pop, definitely upgrading my IOS and Andriod basic lisences.

22. Tseng

Tseng

How about sending a bug report and posting the case number in this thread?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/14...that-people-are-worried-won-t-get-fixed/page2

23. loopyllama

loopyllama

Thank you. You make my decision as a customer easy.

24. n0mad

n0mad

That 20% discount is a really nice move ;-)

25. eduardo-pons

eduardo-pons

I'm finishing the final touches of my GUI system:
    Kunai
    wich ships with AS3-like script syntax and behaviour.
    It includes a way to move and resize elements based on its container just like the video!

26. RonHiler

RonHiler

Thank you guys for listening. I will now be purchasing an upgrade to the engine. For me, getting an animation tool and incremental light baking abilities is worth $600, irregardless of whatever other improvements have been made (that was not the case for $850), so you have made at least one sale which may or may not have been the case with the higher price point.

My project is still fairly early enough in development that I feel comfortable porting it to 4.0. Hopefully not too much breaks :)

27. helios

helios

Good prices, but it still sucks that if all I care about is iOS Pro, I have to purchase the base $1500 first and then iOS Pro. All I literally care about is the removal of the splash screen.

28. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

It's out roadmap and no, we're not sharing it ;)

29. taumel

taumel

Btw. what will users definately get in a reliable working condition when buying V4 for desktop and iOS?

Does there exist a list which says:

These are features you'll definately get.
    Those are feature we might add but might not as well or which might not work as intended.

I mean if you offer some serious product then this whole roadmap discussion is rather childish. Just differ and say what you intend to deliver for sure and what not.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  30. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Not outside of some drawing board somewhere.

31. goat

goat

Sounds like he is charging each customer for his own license to me.

32. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

I'm looking forward to the freeware GPL release of GNU-nity 3D Pro ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  33. goat

goat

LOL, yes. You Hurd it here first. And I'm rather surprised not to hear Richard Stallman on this forum ranting that Unity 3D should be free.

That aside all the GUI and 2D stuff has me amped, I'm not a computer artist by any means but I was able to create nice animations easily using Anime Studio Pro. Add the GUI and the 2D physics to that and integrate into Unity 3D...they must be rewriting a lot of the internals.

Meanwhile I have a 1 year old slate with a Intel HD Graphics chip that won't run DX11 or Metro when Windows 8 releases.

:::I wan't to update this: after checking my Windows 7 is says I'm running DirectX 11 already. I have the original Intel Graphics HD (not 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000) on a Intel i5 UM470 (EP121). I think the Metro stuff is in DirectX 11.1 so I'm hopeful.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  34. andererandre

andererandre

I ordered the commercial Pro license a few hours ago. Verifying my student ID only took a few minutes, but they still haven't sent the key. Anyone who already bought at Studica knows how long this might take?

35. GodlyPerfection

GodlyPerfection

I was planning on purchasing a student commercial license for Unity 3.5, however with the Unity 4.0 announcement I've been hesitant. The Unity 4 page says that new licenses purchased would gain access to Unity 3.5 pro now plus access to the beta and the $200 voucher. However in the store there is no separate option for Unity 4, just a standard Pro license. I'm assuming that just means that getting a Pro license counts as a Unity 4 Pro purchase by buying it straight from the store now that Unity 4 has been announced.

However if I buy my license through studica now does that count as a Unity 4 Pro license? It currently says nothing about Unity 4 so part of me is worried that if I buy the student commercial license from studica I would still have to pay upgrade costs to get to Unity 4 which would result in me paying pretty close to non-student price. And do I still get the benefits like the $200 voucher for the online store (that sounds a bit greedy, but that isn't intended I'm just curious... I can live without the voucher)? I'm working with the pro trial right now, but am looking to keep pro as real-time shadows are a very important part of my project.

36. andererandre

andererandre

In the price list they explicitly mention "Buy 3.x now and get 4.0 for FREE when it is released!", so there shouldn't be an issue with the upgrade to 4.x.

On a related note, I received my key about 12 hours after my purchase directly from a Unity Technologies emplyee.

37. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The editor is not going to linux thingy.
    Linux is for ppl who don't want to buy anything, just like android...
    I really don't know why Unity listened to that request and added this platform.

38. _Petroz

_Petroz

A reason was given, look it up. What you said is completely wrong, linux users were actually the most generous when given the choice of how much to pay. Please do not present your opinion as fact when you are so poorly informed on a topic.

39. Dreamora

Dreamora

ArchVIZ, publicity (the past days, google alerts on Unity4 are primarily tuxy news pages) and 'its a new platform with a potential to grow if apple F***s up 10.8' ;)

also unity does not support linux, it supports Ubuntu.
    Might sound like the same but only till you are forced to try to get stuff from other distros running on yours and the 'we are better than distro X with our distro Y' platform destroying attitude crushes your dreams or waste countless hours

40. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

What are you talking about? Indie Royale Bundle??
    You know that Linux users there didn't dominate the sales right.

You say I am "poorly informed" simply because you don't like the fact that I don't care about Linux as a platform. This is not a point for me to argue about, so... Whatever.

41. echtolion

echtolion

They gave more than mac when I checked like a year ago.

Which says a lot for about 1% of the PC market.

I'm curious, what features would you have preferred to them to work on if not the most requested feature for Unity?

42. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I never demanded anything from Unity unless it is a bug that must be fixed. And there is a somewhat big list of things to be fixed in Unity 3.5.
    I don't care about features that aren't already here for me to use... If they add something good, great I will use it if it is for me.

I tell what I don't like about most Linux users: They just demand everything belongs to them without paying anything.
    I mean, everything has its value, if it is too much, of course we can try to negotiate it, but demanding stuff for free... I just want to slap on the face people who does that. So, thats why I don't like Linux, because I don't like most of its users I had the displeasure to know.

43. echtolion

echtolion

Who was demanding anything for free?

I don't even use Linux and I was one of the people that requested Linux deployment because there is a market there.

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

The Linux world in the past year luckily has been changing away from the blatantly stupid 'i want it all for free and opensource' attitude as they started to realize that professional developers don't give a damn about platforms where not being payed and getting your stuff cloned is the desired standard :)

You can see this already very well in the distros itself that now include proprietary gpu drivers just cause the open source ones are absolutely trashy for anything but low end gpus. A few years ago any distro doing that got shot down by its own community for 'backstabbing the idea of open source upon which the Linux foundation is built'

45. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I hope so. Glad that things are at least starting to change somehow somewhere.

46. elias_t

elias_t

Unity is not only for making games.

Many customers demand the ability to deploy the application they have paid for on linux boxes to avoid other os paid licenses.

47. cannon

cannon

Unity4 deploying to Linux means your games can now participate in the Humble Indie Bundle. It also makes deploying standalone kiosks running Unity cheaper and simpler.

48. Arowx

Arowx

49. cannon

cannon

Nope, according to sources not enough RAM left for 3D after installing Linux kernel. When I ordered mine it had a 10 week lead time =P. Still waiting...

50. Ostwind

Ostwind

I think Unity Linux support means only Ubuntu at the moment(?)