Search Unity

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. goat

goat

What the heck are ban hammers and thank goodness I'm a nerd to have never have heard of that?

Anyway I'd forgotten about a 2D sprite engine what can combo so nicely with the new GUI. Use as presentation software is looking even more promising.

2. dansav

dansav

I have about 5 projects that are in dire need of a good user interface tool. I was really hoping unity would solve this in 3.5. It's not like this is new technology. User Interface technology is all over the place and there are great examples. In fact Unity won awards for the UI of the Editor. Someone there obviously knows how to build User Interfaces.

Third parties have been providing better solutions than unity for a few years now. Unity's own solution is not recommended to be used on mobile which is one of the keys to their success so far. Maybe this update is for a different audience.

I would purchase it today if I thought it was going to have the UI.

If I were them I would make sure it came out in 4.0 after reading these posts.
    This reminds of Netflix Qwikster.

Dan

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can't be a nerd if you never heard of ban hammers.

There are quite a few spammers who have departed from these forums in much pain because of my ban hammer. (It is a bit like whack-a-mole though.)

--Eric

4. n0mad

n0mad

5. linusnorden

linusnorden

I second that! If there would be a great GUI engine in Unity 4.0 then maybe it would be worth an upgrade....

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That just went over my head through the woods and into the river it goes.

7. joshimoo

joshimoo

This is eric

8. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

rofl that made me laugh hard

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Oh look at the pretty skirt ! HAWT !!

10. MattCarr

MattCarr

I asked about Apex integration earlier and was told it wouldn't be in 4.0, but they are interested in that tech. Obviously from it being integrated for the that presentation there's a very strong chance it'll be in an early 4.x update. I'd imagine that if that DX11 demo is an actual project available for Unity 4.0 then most/all of the tech in it would be be in the engine.

11. SevenBits

SevenBits

I doubt Unity would include it, then, as that would just highlight the features missing in Unity. And nobody wants that...

12. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Man, as Ive said before, you are my hero! Thank you very much for this.

13. cgguy

cgguy

Wow, went trough the whole thing, and so far it seems to me that many people here has more or less the same complains.

The negatives:

-Price: I don't think that 500 or 700 makes too much of a difference honestly....what I see as negative is that the price changed from last year, but considering the economy, I may understand (the gas goes up, software goes up).

- Another issue is related to whom has got the licenses for the mobile products....I mean the number of features in some cases wouldn't justify the cost of upgrading, but this force people to have 2 different install of Unity (one with V3 and mobile, one with V4), so no harm done really.

- I've read about the fact that people has to pay for updates....welll, this is what it is in all the software fields :) Not everyone is like Apple that gives you a full OS for 20 bucks, but in general the various 3dsmax, photoshop and modo are not cheap, nor you have the chance to update at a substantial discount price. If you are a sunday dev, that takes 1 year to make a pacman clone....well, you are out of luck since your dev speed is far behind the evolution pace of the market....an engine made 3 years ago is pretty much garbage, compared to one made now; sadly the competition arose, and nowadays if you are not quick to pull out your product you end up like many games cancelled because they were too old, and rewrite everything would cost too much (someone heard the ghost of Romero wandering around?).

You can in general do anything with the free version; and then for mobile, in the same way you renew the Apple developer subscription yearly, you update Unity iOS; nothing strange here. Then when you are about to publish you can buy the license, but I wonder how many people can just grasp the pro features without having to retouch the original codebase....if you design something without being able to test it you may end up badly, so I would say that is better to get a game out with the free version, and improve it later with pro (once you get some money back from sales), instead than investing before even knowing what the heck will you sell :)

- extra features not necessarily needed to justify the update: they are a nice addition but I can live without most of them, and use the alternatives made by other users in the meantime.

Maybe instead of selling Unity pro and free you should try a modular approach...some software allows you to buy the base software and update with plugins (crappy example, but is the first that came up in my mind: DAZ Studio); so if Joe wants DX11 he can gladly pay for it without spending the price for the whole upgrade. I doubt thou that this will happen, since it would bring in a whole new level of pain and testing nightmares to check every plugin (plus is not cost effective for whom who does it...DAZ lives selling meshes, not software).

- I really don't care about the editor and the promises....these are things that may piss someone, but you should understand that Unity is not your friend, it is a service provider. They make a product, you buy it, they try to make you happy...that's all. There are no promises written in stone, no loyalty program, no special treatment....if you understand this you will avoid to feel "betrayed".
    I respect the company and whom works in it, but I would not consider them different from my regular store clerk, bank clerk or mechanic.....they give me a service, and I pay; if I am happy I go back, otherwise I just go somewhere else.

You are always free to go away and use a different engine after all; forcing someone to do something only because maybe you purchased 1.0 is quite pretentious IMHO...I have clients that purchased the license before that there was a free edition, and I told them that they should expect nothing just because of that....this is how market goes, we are not among friends, but in a business, where some people buy and other produce and sell a product (of course this does not mean that you cannot befriend someone, but I love to keep relations in good terms, so for me if is a matter of work, there is no space for friendship that may cause awkward situations later).

BTW let's avoid comparisons with cars....it is like apples and oranges. You buy a car, you don't buy a software (you buy the chance to use it); you own a car , you don't own a software. The closest comparison may be with a lease: you pay to use the car, you decide to keep it or return it and get another one....same with the software in a certain way.

Plus the car has costs, deteriorates; the software is the same day 1 until day X, if you use it 10 hours, 1 hour or 24 hours a day :) As you can see there is no way or sense to compare the 2. Software market has it's own realm among the various products that we use.

Pros:

- The new animation system looks good...any estimate about when the beta will be available to whom that does not preorder?

- DX11 may be useful if your target is Win based

- Transparent; Unity has been very clear and upfront...others may have just used the "take it or leave it", with a side of "ban and go" and some threads and posts obfuscated....gladly they are working as big company but does not behave like a big company, under this aspect (kudos for this)

- Free is still available, and from what I can see on the comparison chart, some features are going in the free version (altho can you please put back the small descriptions in the page? I understand that you made that fancy U4 page, but I would like to see exactly what a specific feature does, instead of reading the whole chapter and try to understand if that is what it is in the free or pro version).

- You can continue to use V3 to your heart content....plus you got for free the 2 mobile basic licenses so why should you complain?

- Nothing changed really, the engine and the company are running steady so you can start to develop with confidence and know that they will still be there with a new version, if you ever start to see money flowing in your account.

Sorry if I was so long but I had almost 70 pages of ideas :p Next time will have to think twice before start reading such massive posts (but it was really nice to look at what the community thinks, and how Unity replied).

14. Courvee

Courvee

A little question. Will be in U4 DX11 image based reflections?

15. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I'm assuming because of the upgrade costs unity 4 might not have a free version, is this a correct assumption? If it isn't will it have features such as Mecanim for free? What features will pro users have over free users. I'm just curious because I see alot of pro users not upgrading and just use the unity 4 free version if the feature set isn't too different

16. tatoforever

tatoforever

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html

17. Muckel

Muckel

Just Wondering !!!
    Where did u get this Info ???
    NOOOO WORD that it uses dx11 !!!!
    it's pure speculation !

cgguy are you kidding ????
    ok the comparison with cars was a bit odd BUT:
    The Adobe one works !!!
    If you only need Photoshop do you buy the complete Master Suite dude ???
    If you do 3D Art and just need a Editor ... do you buy the Complete Cinema 11 Bundel ???

sometime i wonder what People came up with....
    but kudos's to the Unity Ninjas who answer every serious question....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  18. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

19. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

omg seriously? http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html go midway down the page....

20. kablammyman

kablammyman

21. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

neither was I

22. Muckel

Muckel

Windows 8 Mobile i was talking
    Dreamora came up with this... on Page 65
    correct ! :)

23. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Windows 8 Metro (be it for desktops, tablets or phones) has DirectX 11 as the only 3D API. No DX9, no OpenGL. One of the many sources, straight from MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464945.aspx

Windows 8 non-Metro (i.e. the classic "desktop") apps can use anything, just like in previous Windows versions. But for Metro, it's DX11 or GTFO ;)

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why is it "not good"?

--Eric

25. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Did I type that? I must be tired...lol

26. tatoforever

tatoforever

Nop, you are already asleep. -_-

27. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

sleep typing sucks.

28. taumel

taumel

So, will V3 receive a DX11 update or will V3 users just loose the Windows publishing option?

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would say neither, still will support EXE but not metro.

30. taumel

taumel

Considering that you can run the Beta of Windows 8 since quite some time and Windows 8 will be released this year and that they also will support iOS6, it's just reasonable that Windows 8 will be supported as well. Otherwise this will force you to upgrade to V4 no matter if you intend to stay with V3's featureset or not, if you want to continue to use Unity or just have to update already existing projects for your clients.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Windows 8 i have no doubt will be supported, just not metro.

32. taumel

taumel

Honestly i would prefer an answer from Unity and not from you on this one.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

DX11 isn't coming to Unity 3 so metro will not be coming to unity 3 either as DX11 is a requirement for it.
    Simple as that

iOS6 support does not require an all new rendering path and new engine and api under the hood, only fixing the library for whatever apple F***ed up this time with the iOS6 core and XCode 4.5

34. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

++;

plus as a general rule you don't ask questions on a public forum if you don't want opinions that would be much better suited to an email and or private message, especially when it is something that is blatantly obvious what the answer will be...

35. taumel

taumel

This isn't obvious at all and as Unity employees have been answering questions through the whole thread plus the answer to this is quite interesting to a number of people. If this won't be possible then it sheds the "only upgrade if you want plus the price increase" in completely different light.

36. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

You just don't wanna get it dude right? But I said earlier, some people just lack the ability to read... Okay now in super-slow motion, because I fell generous today:

Photoshop and a lot of the other product in there cost about 800-1000 EUR per item... The Master Collections contains them all and costs about 2500 EUR... So yeah you got that right, why buy the Master Collection when I only need Photoshop?!
    But once again you missed the point. The point is that if Unity would package their major features, and they have quite as much as there are distinct adobe products in the suite into single purchases, each of them would also cost about the same as the adobe items for Unity to be a reasonable business model... Now tell me... How many people will only need two major features to work with? Most of them will need three or more and right now buying the entire collection of features already pays off. Just no sense in it. Unity is not an Adobe Master Collection, same as your car comparison thus one sucks... Adobe has distinct fully functional product, while with Unity we are talking about major features, which usually only combined make a game. A better comparison would be some 3D production software.

If we apply this with your theory the following comes out:

1) I want to make a 3D animation movie
    2) I need maya, mudbox, motion builder, photoshop, mental ray whatever
    3) I a little broke right now so I go with Maya
    4) I will never finish the movie.

Me three...

37. _rem

_rem

Hello,
    I created a new bug report with my simplified project. (Case 472206)
    It's your turn now, but you will not find the memory leak problems unresolved "Unity Editor" in my project ...
    I no longer work on my game for 4 months because all architectural decorations are managed by "Occlusion Culling"! I hope to receive a personal reply, thank you.
    cordially

38. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

So I guess the next question is, will there be a Publish To Metro App option?
    I see a huge potential market there.

39. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That's not saying much.

40. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

That.

41. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

To unity technologies awesome staff
    To those who spend their time in the job and company that they love to create the best thing as they see what it is. This thread was full of lots of ... stuff which surely developers did not write. Those who have the time to read all of these and write stupid stuff surely are not those who are spending much time using unity. Well you promisted features for 3 which aren't there and it seems will not come in 4 but what you've done is great. Unity is good in many thing and not good in some like GUI and multiplayer networking and 2D stuff but i think. First of all unity is a 3d engine and hopefully Aras's Ninja camp stuff will be released after being pollished and for multiplayer there are good middlewares outhter.
    Those who know how much hard development of such a complex product is and how hard is to deliver all of these features. Appreciate you guys and love what you did and anyone who doesn't simply can use/create another engine. No one is not entitled to have unity and have it in the way they want.

42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

You don't lose anything.

Windows 8 can run any windows apps just fine. Build them with Unity 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, whatever.

This "new thing in Windows 8", which is Metro (i.e. for tablets or for "metro experience"), is what requires anyone to almost completely rewrite their applications. There's no WinAPI anymore, there's no DX9/OpenGL, there's a S***ton of restrictions about stuff you're not allowed to do etc. It's more like a console or iOS from application developer's perspective. All this is not coming in Unity 3.5, and it would be a major work to implement.

43. loopyllama

loopyllama

Code (csharp):
    1. var Unity_4.x -= Features.Metro;
    2. Unity_4.x += Features.UsefulStuff;
    3. print ("thanks!");

44. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

What Are The New Advantages Added in Unity 4.0?compare to 3.5?

45. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

46. Unity3Dkannan

Unity3Dkannan

hi any advantages added in unity4.0.if added means share me

47. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

uscript is included

48. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

49. Unity3Dkannan

Unity3Dkannan

Basically 3.5.2 supporting c++,and js .so in mono develop support what languages???in 4.0?

50. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Same languages as in Unity 3.