Search Unity

Unity 4.6b16 crashing on play with no explanation.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Birdlay, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Birdlay

Birdlay

Hello! I'm having a problem with a project I updated to Unity 4.6b16 recently. It worked fine for a while, but then seemingly spontaneously started exhibiting the following behaviour: When I press play, and occasionally when scripts reach a certain point in compilation, the editor crashes with no errors other than this:

Crash!!!
    SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: 'M:/Unity 4.6.0b17/Editor/Data/MonoEmbedRuntime;.;[Project Directory];M:\Unity 4.6.0b17\Editor;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530, UserName: 'CPTBrad'
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1

followed by a long list of various filenames in what I assume is a stack trace.

Unfortunately from a quick Google search this error seems rather generic. The one page on Unity Answers with any sort of details on the error suggested that it might be a constructor or field initializer error, however field initializers on GameObject types and using GetComponent typically throw the Main thread error softly in Unity(I've never experienced otherwise, and I use threads heavily in most of my other projects), and I haven't added any new constructors or field initializers since the project was stable. I did submit a bug report, however I am unable to reproduce the issue in a new project. It doesn't take long to crash, so I'm fairly certain it's not an infinite loop or recursion. Does anyone have any ideas? If there's any more info I could provide, please ask! :)

Also, perhaps relatedly, shortly before this error started occurring I was experiencing some severe issues with substances, particularly Bitmap2Material. Any surface with a B2M material or any textures from one would start showing most of what I assume is the atlas behind substance generation, as well as the shadow map projected on around 30% of all B2M surfaces. It appeared as if the shadow map was being copied from screen space onto UVs.. extremely strange. However this always started after play mode was stopped so I've been unable to acquire a screenshot since to submit a separate bug report.

2. JAKJ

JAKJ

You should really be using the newest version of the beta before you try to report a bug. Betas are for testing.

3. Birdlay

Birdlay

Alright, I made a copy of the project and attempted to run in in 4.6.0b18 to the same result.